Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Overhead console in your VX?

Overhead console in your VX?

Finally got around to "almost " finishing up this project, still have some minor bugs to work out, but heres where its at:

I sourced the console from a mid 90's Oldsmobile Silhouette mini van from a "u pull it" salvage yard for about $20.00 . nice unit including the temp and compass displays. I also grabbed the temp sensor from the front grille of the same vehicle.
    Its a two piece unit (upper and lower halves) which made it easier to work with. I had to recontour the mounting base to the vx roof line. First i made a template out of cardboard, then i epoxied foam core to the mounting base. Later i got out my dremel and and shaped the added material to the curve of the template. After that using carpet adhesive and some material i picked up at wallmart (not exactly what i wanted, but for $3 and no hassles, it did the job) and reupholstered the mounting base.
    Its not the neatest job, and i still have some wrinkles to work out(litterally), but overall im happy with it..then i screwed it all back together, figured out the wiring, and added a super bright green led behind the swivel dome lights. Tis illuminates when the gauge lighting is on, and shines onto the lower console storage area. when you open the padded compartment, you can now see inside it at night. Then i mounted it up.
    To mount it, i had to cut off the original mounting tabs at the front, and add a piece of strap metal to make a new "hook" . then i slit the headliner to provide a place for the hook to insert. for the rear i simply drilled two small holes through the original dome light mounting point, and screwed it in.
    I also added to "carpet plugs" in the center for additonal support.

I also installed (and hardwired) my garage door opener, as the GM console has a provision for this (gray oval button ), it has sunglass and rear storage areas as well.

Next time i have a go at it, i will reupholster it again, but add foam backing. im also going to tie in the original dome light circuit board to restore the staged dimming effect. this presents a few issues in the wiring ive yet to figure out.

There are several additional pics in my gallery here...
    Maverick
    99' Ebony VX sold...

Thumbs up

Looks GREAT! Would love to have one since there is so little storage but it might interfer with my sunroof! I swapped mirrors so I could have temp and compass but the console one is ideal too. Lookout, you may be making those up for others....

Great idea and execution.

I've been eyeing coverheads in every car I can for ideas myself, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

John C.

Looks great! I want one.

Super nice job
    John

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Super nice installation! For those of you with sunroofs - you might want to check out the mini roof consoles in the new Trail Blazers. I just put one in my VX (check my gallery), and it comes with sunglass holder, Homelink garage door openner and digital voice recorder. Paid $25 for it off eBay.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Thumbs up Great Idea...

...Looks great too I just might give that a try. Congrats, and thanks for the idea.
    NAVIGATOR

Glad to hear my little project is well recieved..took me quite awhile to get it done, but the project as a whole wasnt high on the difficulty scale..
    the hardest part was figuring out the wiring without a schematic. if you do this, id highly recommend you take the time to get the wiring diagram from the source vehicle of the console..im still having minor issues with the temp display as itll lock up, and not update the temperature. i suspect that i have a ground mixed up someplace, as it bench tested perfectly. even though i went precisely by my notes from testing, its still not quite right, but ill figure it out eventually. its probably something simple.
    the other issue that came up was in the mounting. I couldnt move it to far forward as it would interfere with the visors. since im short and have to keep my seat a good deal forward, the display is just slightly out of my normal line of sight. this shouldnt be an issue with anyone with longer legs though..another inch or two back on the seat , and it would be fine for most..
    I choose the gm console over the chrysler type because it seemed to need the least modification to fit the roof line, but just about any overhead can be used if your willing to spend the extra time adding or removing material to form the proper contours..
    next up, is adding a rear dome, super bright led's in all the doors (red for visibility, and white for functionality, and a couple of 12v outlets in the back for convienience (cell phone chargeer, outlet for mini air compressor, and other "stuff") and if i get really enthusiastic, id like to build a voltmeter and a/f meter from micro leds and integrate it into the dash pod somehow. got all the circuitry, just have to get around to putting them together...

Question

that is the bomb. Got to do it haven't done anything in awhile . to darn cold.

Was there any adtional wiring for the compass? or is it built in . how long was the metal piece? Does it stay up well?
    VX...Priceless...Everything else there's mastercard..

you have to run a few wires, pretty much its the same as , say a car stereo. you can use the original dome light wiring for a constant 12v, and the door pin wire there for the dome lights, and the sheet metal base for a grounding point. But you still need to run the temp sensor wires, the ignition wires, and illumination "dimmer" wire. i built a separate wiring harness for this, that i spliced into the original connectors (i was sure to keep boths sides of the plugs when i removed it from the donor vehicle, with enough wire for good splices.) I soldiered all "permanent" connections in the harness i constructed.

hope that helps...

heh i was in a yard and got a console from an early 90's s-10 blazer... looking at your posts.. looks like its the exact same unit console! the one i got doesnt have the temp sensor or compass.. just a blank panel, but just planned on putting switches there anyway

any tips before i get started on the project?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

wow, long time since i did this project! time flies , and I dont get on here much, but I still have my VX

the two things I can think of is make sure you mark your wires. not as much of an issue if your not using the extra electrics, but if you have any problems with the wiring later on, its a good idea to have an accurate list, or wire tags to help with the trouble shooting. the second item is to use a really good upholstery adhesive like the 3m stuff, its more expensive, but well worth it . the cheap stuff wont hold up very well after some time and it'll have to be redone.
    other than that, just take your time. if you can pull the headliner, do so, and put in backing plates ( a small piece of flat steel with threaded rivet bolts) for the front mounting will make for a much cleaner and secure install, especially if you off road.
    thats about all i can think of..good luck!

Thumbs up Overhead console

That is a BEAUTIFUL job!! It looks like it belongs there and nicely fits the futuristic (airplane like) theme of the VX.
    I'm going to scour Ebay for a console. I bought some Carbon fiber look-alike material (vinyl) and think that I'd cover the console with that stuff. Should look fan-tastic!
    Thanks so much for the pics and the inspiration!!

Cool idea, but....

I thought about doing this too some time ago, eyed up some consoles and all. The biggest issue I saw was either finding or riggin up enough mounting support in that area of the roof. There's nothing much there to bolt to or attach a bracket above the headliner. Some folks may have attached the console just to the headliner and that's it, with no metal to metal mounting. Not sure how that would work out over time. Anyways, I couldn't figure out a clean mounting plan so didn't do it. But it is a great idea though to have it!!