Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moab question

Moab question

I am very close to committing to Moab this year...Could the veterans of this event please give me a little direction in regards to preparing. What do you think, in order of importance, are mods that should be performed in order to improve the VX for such a ride. For example, SPAZZ recommended that 1. outfit the VX with skid plates from trooper (transfer case as well as muffler and maybe there is a third one), 2. disconnecting a sway bar end (or install quick disconnects), and 3. adjusting the rear torsion bar (for more ground clearence or better traction, not sure exact reason). A list of your thoughts about importance, cost (do it yourself and outsourcing cost if available). Tires will be high on the list I'm sure. Many thanks in advance. Don
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Forget 2 & 3 unless you are going hardcore off road ( There is no rear torsion bar!) When the trail registration comes out pick the #3 trails, the stock VX with good tires should manage them well.
    If you want, crank the torsion bars ( Front) to get approx 3 inches of lift and install OME 912 springs in rear. This along with 265-75-16 tires ( No Trimming) will increase your off road capability dramatically without impacting on road handling too much.

Tires are the single most important thing for Moab slick rock.
    Recommend BFG AT KOs as the best all year, all around tire that you can buy, even has severe snow symbol this year.

Been there done that.
    Last edited by Green Dragon : 01/20/2005 at 06:40 AM
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

TOTALLY stock VXes with STOCK tires have done incredibly well in Moab. If this is your first time, you will want to go on easier trails to get comfortable and learn how the VX handles offroad. There is always someone to spot you through any place you are not comfortable with.

Crank the tbars when you get there for more clearance (don't worry about the rear springs or get Darligntons spacers), get the trooper tod skid plate, and the stock sway bars can easily be disconnected with a 10mm wrench for the week and doing so got me the highest RTI (Ramp Travel Index) number of any stock IFS at Moab 2 yrs ago.

Don't worry about the mods, worry about actually getting there!

Stock is beautiful and capable. You will get good advice on what your vehicle is capable of from the veterans. SG

Don't worry about the mods, worry about actually getting there!

Thats sounds like advice I will embrace. (which reminds me of a quote "the trouble with advice is that you have to take it to see if it is good"). Thanks

About all I can add to this is that you will need a full size spare tire to get through tech inspection (or have cash in hand to bribe the inspector) . Your VX is very capable as it sits. I can tell you this however, I lead Moab Easter Jeep Safari Trails when my VX was basically stock other than tires.

Here is a story that happened to me last year (I hope if the guy involved reads this he does not become offended and I am NOT Jeep bashing) but the chances are slim to none he would.

As some of you know my wife Linda is also an Easter Jeep Safari Trail leader. Last year I was “mid gunning” for her on Gold Bar Rim. If you haven’t been on a trail before, “gunners” are officials that help the trail leader and are positioned at the end and middle of the group. Anyway I had two guys in back of me in a CJ7. The driver was not very experienced but his buddy was of course his buddy wasn’t driving and got a kick out of the whole ordeal. As I remember he asked me a few questions about the VX before we started and at stops along the way. The questions turned to comments about the capability of the VX and their surprise on how well it was doing. (I get that a lot) We were almost to the lunch spot where there are several “walls” with bypasses.

EJS trail leaders are asked to take the easiest lines so that we do not set an example that could cause a problem with less skilled drivers or less capable vehicles following our example. But the trail was clearly marked with the “painted gold bar” going directly up the wall instead of the bypass that everyone in front was taking. With a bit of hesitation on my part (because of the example I was about to set) I crawled up the wall without any tire spin. (I did have the front ARB locked)

OK next was the tall geared CJ7 with the inexperience driver who had to take the same line as I did even with my caution relayed over the radio and letting him know that I thought he should take the easy way up. As human nature goes that was the wrong thing to say. On his second attempt, the rear drive shaft on the CJ7 was over taxed to the point of utter destruction.

Now for the ‘mid gunner” to get to earn his pay (we really don’t get paid as we are volunteers but you know what I mean). Out came my tow strap and the CJ7 was towed back off the trail by the VX. OK yea it was worth it. We as trail leaders get warned every year about the joy some of us get at others expense when they break following our example but just once in a while…

As I said before, you own a very capable vehicle just the way it sits but sign up for the easier trails to get your feet wet. It is not all about the challenge. If you have never been to Canyon Country you will have enough to do just looking at the views.
    Last edited by Todd Adams : 01/21/2005 at 09:39 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one exception to the full size spare the VX's spare? I remember this conversation before in previous years.

As a passenger of two previous Moab Zu's (drove a bit of Gold Bar last time), I look forward to driving my own truck this time. All the trails are great there, so start out with a easy one and work your way up.

If you're new to offroading Hints to Moab Zu.

1) If Grandpa Bob or Swordy are in the line to go out on a run...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    2) If the leader has been featured in Peterson's Ultimate offroad adventure..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    3) If the truck in front of you has a sticker that reads "Body Damage is Cool"..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    4) If every truck in line except for yours has tires taller than your truck...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    5) If trucks in line have exo roll bars (could be same as #2)...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    6) If they say,"this is the line for Pritchet, or Helldorado"..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    7) If most of the vehicles in line are missing their doors.... You're probably in the wrong line.
    8) If most of the trucks have SEVERE body damage before running the trail...... You're probably in the wrong line.

Anyone else have more to add?

One note...
    I have only great things to say about the staff at the Zu's. We were unable to attend last year but went the two previous years. We traveled there with three other vehicles (not Isuzu's), and when one of their trucks broke down EVERYONE stopped to help get it back up and running. A friend in a Jeep Scrambler bent his tie rod on Moab Rim (not a beginner trail), 2, yes two, different winches came from different angles to straighten it out. Another time (same trail) a welder was right there to fix another problem. (Thanks again Dallas) The staff will usually not allow you to go on tougher trails unless you are equipped to handle the trail.

Todd... didn't I read an article you wrote about how to prepare for Moab? That might be useful over here.
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleV-X
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one exception to the full size spare the VX's spare? I remember this conversation before in previous years.
    I think they let you get by with a tire plug kit, but if you are running stock tires a full size spare is a very good idea. I think there were a few ruined tires last year. (road hazard is good to get)

[/QUOTE]If you're new to offroading Hints to Moab Zu.

1) If Grandpa Bob or Swordy are in the line to go out on a run...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    2) If the leader has been featured in Peterson's Ultimate offroad adventure..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    3) If the truck in front of you has a sticker that reads "Body Damage is Cool"..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    4) If every truck in line except for yours has tires taller than your truck...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    5) If trucks in line have exo roll bars (could be same as #2)...... You're probably in the wrong line.
    6) If they say,"this is the line for Pritchet, or Helldorado"..... You're probably in the wrong line.
    7) If most of the vehicles in line are missing their doors.... You're probably in the wrong line.
    8) If most of the trucks have SEVERE body damage before running the trail...... You're probably in the wrong line.

Anyone else have more to add?[/QUOTE]

9) If the rig has comp stickers such as UROC, ProRock, WERock etc. You may be in the wrong line.

Example

[/QUOTE]Todd... didn't I read an article you wrote about how to prepare for Moab? That might be useful over here.[/QUOTE]

Is this the one? http://4x4now.com/4whtbcr.htm

or this one? http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabprep/

or this one by Mike? http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabzu5/

"ZuZoo" site http://www.zuzoo.org/event/index.shtml
    Last edited by Todd Adams : 01/21/2005 at 12:15 PM

Thumbs up Gimini Bridge

Wow! I just saw this picture of Geminin Bridge in the before mentioned post http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabprep/

I would llove to get a picture of my VX on the bridge. What level trail is that?

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Thanks Todd. It was the first one that I remember, but they are all good.

Here is a link I found doing a general search for Moab trail ratings.
    http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

The Metal Masher link has a really nice white Amigo in a picture. Hmm who might that be?

Not all the trails will be opened for the event, but this link sorta gives you an overview of the Moab trails.

And yeah, I agree don't follow trucks with comp stickers. (Especially shy away from Red Jeeps with a woman rock crawler in it. I watched her "one wheel" it on Moab Rim. She could have killed her spotter..... who was that anyway?)

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying
    Wow! I just saw this picture of Geminin Bridge in the before mentioned post http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/trails/moabprep/

I would llove to get a picture of my VX on the bridge. What level trail is that?

Peace.
    Tom
    Tom,
    Gemini Bridges are just off the county graded road. Some trail leaders take you there as part of a trail. Could be Gold Bar Rim 3+ or Metal Masher 4. It depends on the leader and how much time there is at the end of the day. It is easy to find with signs leading the way off of the pavement but I would go with someone that has been over them before to get the right line. It is a very dangerous place and I haven't been there since a kid I knew drove off. (NO KIDDING!) He was having trouble with his brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleV-X
    Thanks Todd. It was the first one that I remember, but they are all good.

Here is a link I found doing a general search for Moab trail ratings.
    http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

The Metal Masher link has a really nice white Amigo in a picture. Hmm who might that be?

Not all the trails will be opened for the event, but this link sorta gives you an overview of the Moab trails.

And yeah, I agree don't follow trucks with comp stickers. (Especially shy away from Red Jeeps with a woman rock crawler in it. I watched her "one wheel" it on Moab Rim. She could have killed her spotter..... who was that anyway?)
    My son now is owner of that Amigo. It may be down for 'ZuZoo at least he is planning on it.

As for the incident you describe I really don’t remember it. I am sure I was clearly out of the way. The Jeep has been over 7 times since you last saw it so it is a bit worse for wear. I only received a few minor injuries this year but Linda received some broken ribs at the last event. Believe it or not we are going to compete again this year. Just goes to so you that wisdom does not necessarily come with age.

I think it was within a couple seconds of this pic. hehehe
    Its the thrill of the chase

I am amazed at how much Linda's driving has improved in the last year. She had the ability to pick a good line but there was another plateau for her to conquer. The ability to know the exact capability of your rig is a very hard lesson until you have exceeded it a number of times. Most people never get to this level or should. You have to have a rig built to take numerous roll overs without taking damage or at lest that you care about. Most of us, including me can not afford to damage their rigs so they don’t get there or even have a desire to. But I built this jeep to do exactly that for Linda (It’s not the way it was in this picture). In doing so you can loose your confidence however. Linda was at that stage this year after a very spectacular endo in Cedar City Utah at our second event. It took a trip by ourselves on terrain that had Linda nervous before to get over her lack of confidence. This picture just had me doing a bit of reflecting.
    But this is a VX board. So how bout we take our VX'x up the Rim in May. I have been meaning to take mine but seems like my time is limited when in Moab. Let's see You, Me, Grampa Bob. Who else runs at least 33's and a front locker? Now that would make a great picture with all of us on the Z turn.
    Last edited by Todd Adams : 01/22/2005 at 06:36 PM

never said rear T bar(VX's don't have em)....but Trooper Tcase skidplate, Diamond plate steel full skidplate, crank (front)Tbars, it is really easy to lift by getting longer springs in the rear and stronger drag bars for the rear. On the sway bars...just dosconnect either the drivers side or passenger side...NOT BOTH sides, as if you take both drivers and passenger side sway bar links off the sway bar can push out into moving suspension parts. Believe me disconecting one link on the front and rear of the sway bars MAKES A DRAMATIC difference with offroading in regards to how your vehicle will stay on the ground and not pop or lift wheels up in the air.