Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moab question

never said rear T bar(VX's don't have em)....SPAZZ

My apologies SPAZZ. I misquoted you...thanks again for the great info (everyone). Don
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Dragon
    Size-Price- Condition- S&H- Photo?

Thanks
    Bob
    I dunno,, what are they worth in scrap aluminum?
    Its the thrill of the chase

Not to be a Moab Buzz killer!

Would it be fun just to road trip and check out all the other Vxers? What I mean is that my VX is really not equipped for the terrain, but would still like to hang out and party w the bretheren! Ive got Yoke 285/60s and I usually never off road (other than slippin and slidin in the St. Louis snow).
    Thanks,
    StL. Sot (go Cardinals '05)

Sot,

My husband and I will be in two different 4x4's this Moab trip. Although his VX is rock ready, my Amigo is a mere starter 4x. My daughter and I plan on taking the lighter trails, and skipping a day of offroading to do shopping in the town.

Is it worth going even if you don't offroad? OH YEAH! There is no feeling in the world like entering a hotel parking lot and seeing most of the vehicles are VX's. Sorta feels like you belong. Not everyone goes on trails everyday. Then again, some trails are longer than others so people leave and get back at different times. If, you're just interested in mods.... this is the place to be. Several of these folks have custom mods and are more than willing to share stories.

The other option is come on out and sit shotgun with a fellow VX'r or other Isuziod. You can find a ride on any trail, usually without a problem. If you know how to take pictures, that's even better. Find a ride on Pritchet, Moab Rim, or Golden Spike and bring home pucker memories!

BUT YA GOTTA GO!
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

If I come to Moab do i need a CB radio? I would prefer to buy something like a Garmin Rino 130 walkie-talkie with GPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

CB are more than welcomed! If you have a guide like Todd Adams, YOU WANT a CB. Todd doesn't just show you the trail, he tells you in detail over the CB. I have enjoyed every single trail we've ever been on with Todd. (I can mention here that his wife, daughter and dog are awesome trail companions!) CB's can warn of a hazard ahead. If you go without one, you will be placed in the midst of wheelers with one.

LOL... if you're on a trail without one with me.... I'll just talk to you through my PA system on my CB

Do a lot of people run CB's down there? We normally just use FRS? FMS? radios, real cheap and can be found anywhere. Not enough people have CB's to do trail runs with them. If you haven't experienced a trail ride with radios and an experienced wheeler you haven't gone trail riding. It just makes it that much more fun, able to raz people when they are stuck on something or you can point out things others may not see etc. etc. all from the comfort of your driver seat. Everyone is always informed of what's going on, it's not just follow the leader.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Scott, I'll be talking to you with my Garmin 120 GPS. T

Tell me if I'm wrong, but can't you put the same frenquency on your walkie- talkie as the CB?

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

CBs are mandatory on the trails to keep together and informed. They are so cheap now it is no big deal.

Do they have hand held CB's now. I don't want to install one in my VX,also what Tomdietrying said Don't those Garmin's have a CB channel/freqency?

I have Yoke AVS S/T's on my VX and it did just fine on the trails last year. Like Bumble said, there's plenty of folk that will be there so, you shouldn't have a problem catching a ride if you end up not driving.

Here's the CB I installed. Very small and discrete and with a magnetic mount, simple. Click the pic for more...

CB's are isted on the mandatory list by the 'ZuZoo crew for saftey more than anything. Some of up use FRS also for side conversation without interrupting the main channel.

Here's a prep list from a previous year
    Scott / moncha.com

spare tire question

what is the true answer...does the VX spare qualify as "full sized"? I suspect not as that is the answer Todd Adams gave, but I have seen that it DOES qualify from others....what's the scoop?

Do an ebay search for "handheld cb" and you will find many handhelds for under $40!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Historically (the last 5 yrs), the VX has been allowed to run the easier trails (3,3+) with the temp spare wihout issue. On 4 and above rated trails it would not be advised unless enough of your buddies had full sized spares they could loan you if needed. With decent tires (not old and rotted - Larry) you wil be fine and I can only think of a few VX flats over the years.

Alaskavx asks: "Do a lot of people run CB's down there?"

Answer: Yes. Most clubs have CBs as a mandatory item. It is also recommended for most trail rides. It is a way to stay in touch with the rest of the group and call for help if necessary.

tomdietrying says:
    "can't you put the same frenquency on your walkie- talkie as the CB?"

Answer: Not on the Garmin 120. It uses the FRS frequencies that are different than CB wavelenths.

Also: If I remember, I will have two hand helds and 2 magnetic mount antenas with me for loan.

Steve G