Thread: Folding seat Question

Folding seat Question

I am a new owner of a 1999 VX(silver). Is it normal to have to slide the front seats up in order to fold down the back seats? Also I paid 13,500 for this 1999 VX out the door with tax & tags already included. Its interior and body are in great condition and it has 58,450 miles on it. Was this a good deal?

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    It has been my experience to never ask this kind of question (price) AFTER you have already signed the check.

This coming from a new VX owner who no doubt paid too much.

Have you removed your headrests before flipping the rear seats forward?

Quote Originally Posted by moki
    I am a new owner of a 1999 VX(silver). Is it normal to have to slide the front seats up in order to fold down the back seats? Also I paid 13,500 for this 1999 VX out the door with tax & tags already included. Its interior and body are in great condition and it has 58,450 miles on it. Was this a good deal?
    With my front seats all the way back, and the rear headrests all the way up, the rear seat backs will fold down without contacting the front seats. In fact there is still room between the front seats and the folded back seats. Do you mean when you fold the entire back seat up against the front seat (bottom as well as the backs)? If you are just talking about folding down the backs of the rear seats - they should not contact the backs of the front seats - maybe someone has moved your rear seat forward to get more cargo room in the back?
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Moki,
    I too have a 99 VX and know what your talking about. In order for the tether stap to reach its anchor piont (back seat folded up) the front seats have to be almost all the way forward. Isuzu must have figured out the design flaw because one of the very few differences between the '99 and newer models is an adjustable tether strap.
    I found if you take a short piece (6"-8") piece of cord (I used parachute cord) and tie it into a loop around the metal "U"shaped anchor point under the carpt tab. When you fold the seat up simply hook the tether strap hook into the loop.
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

After latching, you can usually slide the front seats back almost as far as they were before flipping the seat. Since it is relatively difficult to get the strap latched, a better alternative than cord is to order the '00/01 strap which is adjustable and much easier to work with - you'll still may have to slide the seats forward to latch it but it is significantly easier.

Anyone have a part # for the later strap (00-01)? Thanks.

Don

Moki,

I paid $12,500 for my 2000 Ironman with 50k about three months ago. It is in showroom condition. There are people on this site that will tell you that you could have gotten it for less; as a matter of fact, there will always be someone regardless of what you just purchased who will tell you that you paid too much. To me, I paid what I was willing to pay. Think about it; this car ran about $32,000 just 4-5 years ago. It is a quality made vehicle and there were only something like 4600 produced. It surprises me that one can even acquire the VX for that cheap. As a matter of fact, not being aware of this is what took me over a year to even look into getting one. When my time came to buy one, I went for it. Be it that I could have paid a couple of grand less did not matter anymore. I wanted it now! I did pay cash to a private party, I assume you went to a dealer. If you paid $13,500 from a dealer, I think you got a great deal.

Welcome to one of the greatest sleekest and sexiest vehicles in the world. Congratulations.
    From Unimog to VX - a serious change in velocity - a small sacrifice in voracity.

thanks, cascabel3. I appreciate the input. This VX makes drivin fun again. I cant wait to try out the 4wd. take it easy.

thanks carlymac, I'll give it a go

thanks tone