Thread: Please someone Help on 4wd question

Please someone Help on 4wd question

I am a new owner of a 1999 VX(silver). It did not come with an owners manual. On the 4wd shifter it has 4 LOW at the top and High at the bottom. Should it be in High for just normal use(not offroad)? Or is there a nuetral for the 4wd shifter that I dont see.I keep it in High and the TOD display reads AUTO and the back wheels are lit up and the first section of the front wheels are lit. Is this correct or am I doin something wrong. I dont want to screw anything up on it. It took me a little over a year to find a VX and I love it. I just got it 2 days ago, so I am still learning. Please help me out. Thanks.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Everything is as it should be.
    4Hi for the street. 4Lo for the trail.

The TOD display is correct. The front wheels will not be lit at all unless you are rolling (>5mph). Then they will light in increments as the torque is sent up front according to demand.

Also see sticker on topside of driver's visor for more info.

thanks mbeach, just wanted to make sure. I'll get my owners manuel in a week.

Hi Low

Be careful with the HI LOW. Good rule of thumb it, should always be in HI gear unless you get stuck and need 4X4 right off the bat under 5mph. I know your not suppose to run above 30 or 40mph in LO, on my dads chevy silverado, sends to much torq to wheels or something?
    The only time I use the LO option is to yank people out of the snow and you need that extra help from a stand still.
    If you do ever use the LO option pop him/her (whatever you call your VX) into netural, firmly press brake, throw her into LO but wait until it engages before you let your foot off brake. Then let her rip! Then just reverse the cycle to put it back into HI gear.