Thread: CHECK TOD light :(

CHECK TOD light :(

So, i ahve a 01 ebony with 60,000 and within the last month the red CHECK light under the TOD display,has been flashing on and off. :nog: Now, normally if I turn the light on and off it will fix itself, but not this time it continues to stay on and now the once AWD VX is now rear wheel drive. Has anyone had this problem before with 01's, and what was wrong with it????????? I'm hoping it's nothing big, so let me know what the deal is please. one more thing, i think i have a short with my winter tranny switch becuase my power button works but when i press in my winter switch it doesnt diplay on my dash and the button doesnt stay pressed down, what gives with that ne1 know? TY tom

Sounds like a sensor on the TOD has failed or there is a wire shorted or pinched underneath. Had any tranny work done lately? Has anyone tried to put a TOD disconnect switch in your VX as that is a symptom of that without the proper load? Do you mean turning headlights on and off has fixed it before? That might indicate a short behind the dash.

Winter and Power Mode description/function is as designed.

No

when i turn the car on and off it will sometimes fix the problem but this time i think it is for good. where is the sensor located fuse box? have you ever had this problem b4?

Lightbulb and the answer is.....

Same thing just happened to my 2001 last month; thought I was alone! I'm still under warranty so I took it to the dealer. They said it was the "transfer case clutch coil", they had to order the part; 10 days later took it back for the repair.

I did notice a major difference in gas milage (increase) during the time I was a two-wheel drive VX. Problem was that one of those days was a freezing rain/ice day in DFW, and it was a mess without 4wd. Except for rainy or winter weather days, I think it would be nice to have the 2wd option.

Hey Tone, I asked the dealer if they had to drain the transfer fluid to do this repair because I had just switched to the good stuff (royal purple), and they said "no". Is that BS? Should I be concerned? Rob A.

Quote Originally Posted by V12BMW
    one more thing, i think i have a short with my winter tranny switch becuase my power button works but when i press in my winter switch it doesnt diplay on my dash and the button doesnt stay pressed down, what gives with that ne1 know? TY tom
    The winter button does not stay down. And it will only work in winter mode if the trans in D. It will not work in 3.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Not sure where that coil is located so I can't answer ya - should be on the workshop CD. Or crack the drain plug with a 3/8" drive ratchet and see what color the fluid is and compare to a bottle of RP.

I have a hard time believing you got a mileage boost when all front end components and drive shaft were still turning even with the TOD clutch out. Those of us with TOD switches have not seen much if any increase in mileage when off.

Milleage boost :P

LOL, I didnt notice a milage boost what so ever because I was burning rubber everywhere seeing that my AWD was now RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogVX
    The winter button does not stay down. And it will only work in winter mode if the trans in D. It will not work in 3.
    TY, AnalogVX I must have a short somewhere in the dash! at least I wont have to replace the switch it self.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Not sure where that coil is located so I can't answer ya - should be on the workshop CD. Or crack the drain plug with a 3/8" drive ratchet and see what color the fluid is and compare to a bottle of RP.

I have a hard time believing you got a mileage boost when all front end components and drive shaft were still turning even with the TOD clutch out. Those of us with TOD switches have not seen much if any increase in mileage when off.
    Tone where can I find the workshop CD? whats the sensor part#? and cant i get a sensor threw tonemonday?

Isnt the TOD box under the passenger seat? Couldn't I take that apart and make sure everything is plugged in and wires are all good? Should I care about the possable winter short option under the dash? buy that I mean does the winter option really come in handy that much? the ol' VX has performed great in the winter so far.