Thread: Just bought 01 VX! Couple of Questions...

Just bought 01 VX! Couple of Questions...

Hi everyone,
    My fiance and I just bought an 01 Silver VX and we love it. It's only been 3 days though! I do have a few questions and concerns though and would appreciate anyone giving me their thoughts. We are used to driving a Nissan Sentra with a little smoother ride so I know a little rough ride is normal but I'm feeling a clunking sound under the driver floorboard when we are going over uneven pavement. I don't feel it as much when I put my foot up where the brake and gas are though. It seems like it is coming directly below the vehicle. Also I am a bit concerned about the engine, especially since reading the posts about engine failure. We have 80,000 miles on ours and I'm still working on getting the service records from the orignal owner (we purchased through a dealer about 100 miles from our home) Anyone know of a way I could find that out? Also do any of you have an extended warranty and :lookg: would you recommend one? Many thanks in advance!

Sky

Best we can do for the engine is.....

Just keep a close eye on the oil, like every 1000 miles give it a look and make sure it is still reading oil. Replace your PCV valve if it's not easily rattling when out and keep your EGR clean.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Check your exhaust and make sure the hangers are still holding everything up. It's very tight under that and any little movement can cause the exhaust to bump if it's not secured.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Check your electric windows. Keep checking your oil levels. Read everything you can on the specs and follow them. Watch out for electrical "Gremlins"
    Happy Trails....John

Quote Originally Posted by stinger101
    Hi everyone,
    Also I am a bit concerned about the engine, especially since reading the posts about engine failure. We have 80,000 miles on ours and I'm still working on getting the service records from the orignal owner (we purchased through a dealer about 100 miles from our home) Anyone know of a way I could find that out? Also do any of you have an extended warranty and :lookg: would you recommend one? Many thanks in advance!

Sky
    Sky,
    Congrats on the new purchase - that grin that is on your face everytime you get in the VX will be there for a long time, my friend! On the engine, as was stated in a different thread here, the problems have been overstated. Not to take anything from the people who have had engines blow - as it was a VERY bad experience for them. When you consider, however that this engine is in almost every late model Trooper, VX, Passport, Rodeo, Axiom, & SLX on the road - the failure level as a percentage is low. There does appear to be a problem with the number one cylinder in particular engines, but the best (& really only) thing you can do is maintain it properly, and watch the EGR valve as mentioned before. Unscientific research seems to point to that as being a contributing factor. Anyway - you'll find a treasure chest of knowledge on this site for the best budget-priced exotic ever built!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Change the oil frequently and you should be fine. I disassembled a 'blown' VX motor and the number one cylinder and crank are no different than the other 5. There are tiny lubrication holes that if clogged, can cause oil starvation to the crank (which is what happened to this one) and cause the bearing to spin and get flattened like a piece of tin foil.

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation, i.e emissions) valve / tube clogging can NOT cause engine failure - it will cause a check engine light and the computer will adjust and not run as well with it clogged.

Clogged PCV (Postive Crankcase Ventilation) valve will NOT cause engine failure except in the case where the pressure build up blows out the rear main seal and oil is lost, starving the engine of oil. But you would see this leak typically before that much oil is lost. Changing or at least cleaning the valve with carb cleaner every 10-15K is still a good idea and interestingly enough is not mentioned in the maintenance section.