Thread: tranny filter change 30k service

tranny filter change 30k service

Hi,

My 30k service finally arrives, i was checking the VX manual and didn't see the tranny filter change mentioned, only this "transfer case oil change" , does this mean the filter replace too?

Called several dealer and average price is $690 with "front wheel repack" and "tranny filter replace" NOT included. If doing both, around1K :madr2:

And this tranny filter change alone cost about $300

I'm gonna be broken this time... I remember Tone mentioed this tranny filter thing, just didn't see in the manual though.

Any comments?

xiaoz

Happy New Year to the VX family

Prices seem to vary w-i-d-e-l-y from dealer to dealer. There have been many posts on this subject, but here is one specifically discussing 30k prices:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=30k+service

Don't do the tranny filter change at the dealer

I had mine done by AAMCO, and switched to synthetics in the process.

Just make well sure they put everything back correctly. Besides leaving some bolts not tighten properly, the mechanic that did mine (He supposedly was a "certified technician", go figure) put the wiring harness back ON TOP of the crossmember instead below it, and I got some wires chewed up creating a O2 sensor error codes nightmare and runarounds from the shop I was finally able to get out of just few weeks ago. It makes you laugh about their "no customers in the repair area" policy.

Anyway, have the tranny filter change made by a transmission repair shop. With some supervision everything should be fine, and you could save some big bucks.

xiaoz, below is the reason tranny service is not in the manual. This comes from the workshop manual Isuzu Tech's use.

I would ask for an eval of the fluid first, or take it to a good tranny shop if you don't trust that dealer. I've had my tranny serviced twice by two Isuzu dealers. The first time I had the filter/screen/strainer replaced and it brought the total up to $256. The next time I just got a tranny flush 'n fill for $115. The 'filter' is more like a screen and probably doesn't need replacing very often. That part costs $73.

I've had the front bearings repacked twice for around $200.

I hope this helps you out.

Mark Griffin

Tranny is mentioned for 20K severe use service schedule (I figure that is half or less of normal usage.) Changing the filter, although more costly than doing just the fluid, is way important since it catches the normal sluffing off of clutch particles and debri - it is a very fine filter material. If it clogs, it is a bad thing.

I flush my fluid every 15K and do a filter change every 30K - new tranny's are $3500+ Like they say about oil and filter changes, pay a little now or a lot later.... Can't change ANY fluid too often IMHO.

called the dealer again asking about the tranny filter, they say it'll be replaced under 60k service under normal usage, for 30k only flush the tranny. So seems all depends on how u ride the VX. Anyway, find one dealer's price $530, sounds not bad, but i have to drive an hour, maybe worth it , oh BTW, seems it also varies from state to state, i'm in CA.

The instructions in that "service manual" won't get anywhere near all of the fluid drained. Joe_Black has a good tranny fluid change HOWTO on his website. The procedure is fairly easy, and it's well worth the effort. I switched over to AMSOIL ATF a couple months ago and I couldn't be happier.

Would anyone happen to have some good instructions on how to change the filter?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers