Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Towing a tank

Towing a tank

Hey guys just bought a small tank to convert over to a mini monster tank. It weighs 3,500 lbs. I have a small lightweight trailer that will carry it.

My question, will my VX pull it without any problems? I will be using the same trailer as the one I am hauling my monster mowers. It is an Ironhorse enclosed trailer. I see on this forum where Tone makes a 5000 lb hitch. If that's right I should have no problems.

I could take a guess, but I won't. I really replied cause I'd like to see a picture of this beast!! Please post!

I've pulled a boat heavier than that... it's not bad, but not pleasant. You can't go very fast, meaning 70 or so... you have to keep it slow and you'll be fine. The troopers can tow 5000 and we have the same engine.

I will post some pics of my tank later today.

I'm waiting on the guy to email me with them.

be very wary going downhill and jackknifing.

the trailer will want to accelerate down the hill faster than the vx, causing a potentially fatal situation. Usually this problem is solved with longer wheelbases, but as you can tell the VX don't have this luxury.

Good luck on the tank thing, keep us informed. I saw a video of one of those things on the internet once, and it looked like a helluva lot of fun.
    2000 Black VX 105k

funny sig...
    I want a VX. I am going to buy one. Soon.
    DaNiiK@OpTonLiNe.NeT -Danny

Should be fine - i've pulled more than that but would not recommend it regularly without trailer brakes and then you'll still want to change your fluids regularly and use synthetics. The item you speak of weighs less than the VX so it cannot accelerate faster down a hill than the VX - laws of Physics. Use care as you would when towing anything with anything - back and brake slowly and you'll be fine.

I'll bet my tank is bigger than your tank.

Only kidding, I don't own that tank. Best of luck with your project.

Mark Griffin

Sorry, I thought the VX weighted around 3300-3500

Cool

Our little beast weighs almost 2 tons... it is a tank itself!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce
    Enjoy

John C.
    HOLY crap! That thing was CRAZY! I want one! lol I can't even imagine what it would take to design and build something like that. Wow!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!
    My Webshots Gallery...

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    The item you speak of weighs less than the VX so it cannot accelerate faster down a hill than the VX - laws of Physics. Use care as you would when towing anything with anything - back and brake slowly and you'll be fine.

Tone, the physics police are looking for you! :winkg:

Gravity doesn't care how much an object weighs. http://www1.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/feather.avi

The momentum from 4500 lbs of trailer and contents can sure put you in the ditch though...

ThunderChicken, if you pull that tank with the VX, make sure you've got trailer brakes and plenty of tongue weight, OK? Somebody's life may depend on it. You don't always have the option of braking slowly...

A 3500 pound load will not easily pass a 4000+ lb VX...but towing ANYTHING can put you in peril. You do not want more than 300lbs tongue weight or you risk loosing control of the lead vehicle. Trailers can always pass the tow vehicle!

Well he said the tank is 3500 lbs and I imagine the enclosed trailer weighs at least 1000 lbs so that's 4500 lbs right there. But mass is not the only part of the equation anyway. That's why a 255 lb soapbox derby car will smoke the 4000 lb VX down any hill in the world. And any hill on the moon too, I'll wager...

Lots of friction in that VX driveline... not much in a pair of wheelbearings... the trailer would win the race. But why are we talking roller bearing friction when there's so much momentum involved...? It's not a race. "Passing" is not the issue.

Run enough tongue weight to keep the rear end of the tow vehicle down under hard braking. We've got a short wheelbase and long travel suspension. In other words lots of pitch under hard braking. Tongue weight is an indication of c. of g. of the trailer/load combo. It needs to be forward of the axle otherwise a heavy load will lift the rear end of the tow vehicle under hard braking. All it has to do is take enough weight off the tow vehicle's rear tires to reduce traction and then your'e headed for Jackknife City. Whatever you do, don't run the ball so high it causes lift just because of the geometry. Better to have it a little low than a little high...

Unsafe towing doesn't just put you in peril. It endangers other drivers too...