Thread: catalytic converter - error p0430

Question catalytic converter - error p0430

This past weekend my check engine light came on. Took it by AutoZone and their diag tool came up with a p0430 error on bank 2. From what I have found online this refers to the catalytic converter. Isuzu of Austin wanted $80 to do their own diagnostic so I told them to piss off. Anyone ever have this problem and if so what was the fix? One of my coworkers has his own car lift and I would rather do the work myself and save a lot of money (if possible). Anyone know where I can get diagnostic software that I could load onto my laptop to check the computer myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Bob

I've gotten three check engine lights (P0161 - O2 sensor) in the 60K miles that I've owned my VX. The first time was under 20K and I took it to the dealership, where they replaced the O2 sensor under warranty. The second time was at around 30K. I owned a code reader by then, so I just cleared the codes and went on my way. I got the last one at around 45K. Didn't give it a second thought; just pulled over, cleared the code, and continued to work. All three lights occurred shortly after starting, and were probably related to slow warm-up of the sensor. I would only be concerned if the code comes back immediately, and/or cannot be cleared.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Gregg,

I am coming up on 77K miles with my VX and this is the first time that I am getting the check engine light. Up until this point the car has been rock solid. Where did you get your code reader? I am way out of warranty so I am trying to do the work myself so that I can avoid the ridiculous labor rates that the service depts charge. Do you know of anyone who has changed out the cats on a VX on their own? I am hoping that it is something that won't be too complicated.

-B0b

I bought a basic Actron code reader from Sears. About $150. I would suggest that you try clearing the code and see if it returns before investing a lot of money in repairs that aren't necessary. The cats should last a lot longer than 77K miles.