Thread: Something wrong with 4WD?

Something wrong with 4WD?

Over the weekend I had my VX climb pretty much any snow pile I could find. Didn't have any problems getting on and off them.
    But the funny thing happened when I drove to work today. I parked in a relatively small snow pile, and I got stuck. It's worth mentioning that the snow is pretty much all ice now: after the big snowstorm we had, it rained and froze, so I underestimated it.
    Now the interesting part. When I was trying to back out of the snow/ice, I shifted into 4L. The TOD diagram on the dashboard showed that the auto mode is turned off and the power is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear drives. However, my friend pointed out that the front wheels weren't spinning! Why? Does it not work in reverse? Is there any valid condition that would cause the front drive not to be engaged even in 4L?
    It was not hard to get out, all I needed was a slight push, but now I'm worried and thinking about taking my VX to the dealer for a check.
    Any comment/ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
    - Ed Y.

Does if work going forward? Sounds like you just did not move enough to truely engage the transfer case to 4WD. Rocking back and forth (fwd/rvrs_ will sometimes be enough. Have you tested it since? 4L works in forward AND reverse.
    Last edited by Tone : 02/26/2003 at 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Tone
    Does if work going forward? Sounds like you just did not move enought to truely engage the front end. Have you tested it since? 4L works forward AND reverse.
    My friend pointed out that the front wheels weren't spinning when he already started pushing, so I didn't have a chance to see if it works when I go forward - it wasn't an option.
    Tone, by not moving enough, you mean the 4L/High shifter, right?
    I haven't had a chance to test since yet, but will try it on my way back home, just hope I won't get stuck again.
    thanks for the reply.

You do need to be able to move the whole vehicle a short distance (sometimes just a few feet) to engage the 4x4 on a 4x4 vehicle same for disengagement.
    I little trip that may have helped you is to put some pressure on the rear end by using your e-brake. This locks up your LSD. I've even used the regular brake to help out some..
    Scott / moncha.com

I thought moving to engage 4WD was only required for auto and manual hubs, not our stock hubs which are engaged full-time with a flange.

-Daver
    -Daver