View Poll Results: What should Bantan do with the new mod?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it & make it better. Give the ricers a run for the money!

22 37.29%
  • Take it off! There aren't any cattle on the highway!

34 57.63%
  • It's not big enough.

1 1.69%
  • One word: CHROME

2 3.39%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Bantan's New Mod - Y or N

Hey AlaskaVX... have I got a Focus in mind for you. Unless you get close nothing unusual. It'll turn mid twelves on pump gas... Pro Stock guys(hardly a Focus at all) are well down into the eights. Hardly all show and no go ! As for the rest, getting upset because someone calls a hot, Asian car a rice rocket or ricer, is like getting upset when most of the world calls us Fat, Arrogant, Dangerous Americans....Hmmmm

What "Rice" means in AK

This is a good description on what "rice" means, form a member of a local forum....

By: Tristan Aronson

What is a Ricer?

(Ricer: From the Latin word Ricarius, meaning to suck at everything you attempt.)

There are many various meanings for the term Ricer, Including both the driver, and the vehicle involved with the terminology. These definitions also vary in exact definition, but the over all meaning is still the same. It refers to a car that is all show and no go, or a person that is all talk and knows nothing about what they are talking about. But the most commonly meaning for the word ricer is in regards to a usually Japanese car that has been modified to make it look faster without any real gains to the performance of the car. In some cases, these visual modifications detriment the actual performance of the vehicle, and put it below what it actually was
    in stock form.

Some of the more common modifications include, but are not
    limited to: neon lights, and stickers for performance parts that are not actually installed on the vehicle, yet are there because they look cool. Another favorite thing to add is an enormously oversized wing on the rear end of a front wheel drive car which is meant to add down force to keep this 40 mile per hour monster on the ground. The wings typically look like something you'd expect to see on a Top Fuel Dragster, or a Boeing 747 aircraft. The likeness to a city park bench is also a common analogy to the
    looks of several of the wings that are used on these rice mobiles.

Another typical modification is the addition of a muffler that is typically large enough to shove your leg into which makes more sound decibels than the motor makes horsepower. The large muffler in most cases will actually harm the performance of the vehicle, allowing too much exhaust volume to flow through the exhaust dropping the back pressure, and lowering the torque, causing acceleration to be slower.

And my personal favorite, the hideous body cladding kit that attempts to make the said vehicle look like a cross between a space ship, a race car, and something you'd expect to see in the movie Tron. 99% of the time these body kits are miss-matched in color, and it's cool to install your unpainted body kit without any intent to ever actually have it painted.

A set of chrome or odd colored Euro tail lights that And last but not least, is the rims, or wheels. Most ricers go out and
    buy a set of Racing wheels, again often miss-matched in size or type so they can fit into the racer mentality. It's widely common for these vehicles to have only two aftermarket rims (usually on the front) and the stock rims ad tires on the back, minus the hub caps, because the steel rim look is considered cool. Ricers are not limited to Japanese cars only. Several domestic vehicles are also widely popular to rice out. Cars such as the Chevrolet Cavalier, and the Ford Focus, are also largely popular cars to be riced out. The most common vehicles used are cheap econo box cars that were never built to actually go fast. This is a common misconception though, because the drivers will speak as if their cars are literally the fastest things on earth, frequently claiming quarter mile times that are sub 12 second range, usually 10's, because running 10's like the bald guy Vin Diesel in the Fast and The Furious movie is cool.

Another widely popular meaning of this word actually refers to the driver of the said "rice mobile" and speaks of the mentality of this person. Ricers are commonly known as being clueless when it comes to automotive engineering. They literally know nothing, or next to nothing when it comes to vehicles and performance, or actual knowledge and ability of to make a car fast. Ricers are not confined to any specific ethnic group, or color, except stupid. Although, different racial groups are known to have slightly different styles from one another, and the artistic variation, and displays of miss taste is shown.

Ricers have only in the past few recent years started to become a cool trend to be involved with. It started just before the release and explosion of the movie The Fast & The Furious. I must admit, that movie was quite exciting to watch the first time when you saw it in the theater, and the urge to go out and race the family mini van was even coursing through me once I had finished watching and was leaving the movie theater parking lot. But some people saw all the flashy cars, and flashy chase scenes, and carried it out a bit too far, and into obsession. This is actually where the ricer explosion boomed into popularity. Every where you looked people were buying body kits for their cars, and Nitrous Oxide systems (popularly referred to as NOS "NAWS", by the ricer group), and sticking stickers all over their rides to try to be more like the exciting vehicles that were portrayed in the movie. The popularity of this movie definitely wasn't expected. It was sort of a modern day Mad Max. The acting was terrible, and
    it was a cheaply produced movie as well. Yet the youth of America took this movie and made it a piece of their hearts, creating the ricer society that we now see today. Ricers are typically known for their stupidity, especially associated with driving. They seem to think that they're living in a video game at all times, and that zipping and darting in between cars and in and out of traffic while creating a major hazard to us all is a perfectly normal thing to do with their slow econo box cars. They can often be seen huddling around the popular hang out spot of choice on the weekends, usually a large parking lot where they can stand around and admire each others rides on a regular basis, and do crazy things like burn outs, sound offs with their humongous stereo systems and rev their ungodly loud, yet slow four cylinders. All this is usually taking place in the evenings while normal people are trying to sleep.

All in all the overall definition of a ricer that nobody will argue is that it's usually a small, non performance oriented vehicle that's big in ignorance. Take a couple stickers, some racing stripes, a gallon of yellow krylon spray paint, and a perfectly good economy car that you don't mind butchering; and you too can have your very own ricer. But keep in mind, even though it may be miss leading and other nicknames include "ricer burners", they don't actually run off of Uncle Ben's. But if they did, I think a bit of wild rice would probably increase the performance more than anything. Too bad they're all actually just slow front wheel drive cars that handle similar to a toboggan on a dry slab of concrete.

Example:

Last edited by AlaskaVX : 12/08/2004 at 05:15 PM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

OMG LOL! Nice doors they have there! Just what I've always wanted. :-)

i personally think it would look good if the vx is lowered a bit.

and as for the ricer part....well im chinese and i personally dont find it racist, but i dont find chink or gook racist either. the term ricer to me, a 19 year old male that lives in california (dubbed ricer capital of america) and loves the import scene (have a few friends who race imports) , means a show car, so if tat ebony has nothing but just aero kits, it is a ricer. but if it has a sc then its not a ricer.

oh and tat white car is a ricer in my book
    ________
    Class Action Lawsuit
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:49 PM

Originally posted by BaM*BaM
    This is what you call 'HATE-Mongering"? ... Sigh... How much more polite can someone be in asking people to NOT use negative racial slang?

I also give humorous terms to possibly use instead...

... More of that same "HATE-MONGERING?"
    HaHa! No, Ever So Enlightened One - I was, of course, referring to your more recent post in which you claim many people from the South are incapable of realizing just how racist we are and in which you insinuate we're slinging certain racist terms around with ignorant abandon. This is simply untrue. I grew up in the South and NEVER heard the word nigger used until a kid from Fort Wayne, Indiana moved in across the street when I was 13 years old. Now I hear it on the radio every day but I guess if you replace the "er" with an "a" it's OK... That's "progress" for ya! FYI, the only racists I currently know and associate with here in the dirty south are liberals (or is it "progressives") who constantly bring up the subject of skin color as if it makes a damn bit of difference.

I think that deep down you know Joe wasn't implying anything negative about any race of people by using the term "ricer" - that he was just using one word to succinctly describe a certain type of vehicle and the mindset of those who create such vehicles - no matter what their ethnicity. If you don't know that, then get off your ivory tower and join us down here in the real world man! Your alliteration and your cartoons are entertaining but when you post venomous words like that, all you're doing is stirring the pot of hatred...

OK - back to talking about Bantan's combine. Bantan, just how many acres of corn can you harvest in a day with that thing?

I will always take great exception to this kind of "good ol boy' language.
    I am sure when you, or others, call a car to be 'niggered' up, or call another car, a bouncing 'beaner' mobile, visions of "HATE" are NOT going thru your minds. Because,.. errr,... "gosh and heck,... we are just talkin about a car,.... not about someone's momma!"
    (Sigh)

There is a difference... A difference when some insecure youth from somewhere, decides they want to lash out their personal anger, and they then look for a minority that their parents and peers regularly dis, and dehumanize, using cheap, easy, racial slurs, that usually carried no hate when they were originally spoken.

These are 'small innocent' words that majorities regularly use to keep minorities brainwashed into thinking that they stand far below many others, in that culture's 'pecking order'.

Everyone here lives in their own culture. I try to see how I can improve mine, everyday. And when I see an outside culture that regularly feeds misinformation, intolerance, rediculous claims of 'devine superiority', and all other kinds of mindless crap, I have no trouble stepping up.

This VX web site, is a small culture that we all share in. Hopefully, thru it, we elevate the life experience for everyone, and not just for a chosen few.

And yes,... I make many mistakes too, and they are usually pointed out by my good and honest peers... all of you here at Vehicross.INFO
    And I thank you for that!
    "The USA Is Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill 'Em!"

A lot of asian people in Idaho, is there?

As an American of asian decent, I'd like to note,folks, that "rice" is not a derrogatory term (at least not racially). The term came about because of the japanese cars that were first "riced" out.

"Rice-burner" motorcycles, for example, does not refer to asian motorcyclists. Rice burner bikes have been around long before the compact import car scene.

We darn near invented the stateside rice out here in California. In fact, ti was on a gaudy, tacky decline before Fast and the Furious came out. Fast and the Furious brought it up to new heights....all the way to where it is today.

Anyway. No asian has been seriously offended by rice. I thank all patronizing white folks that I, and us poor asians, do not need to be saved with your misplaced politcal correctness. We can defend ourselves just fine, thank you very much. We don't take kindly on "gook" or "slope." But pointing at a white kid in a riced out Honda (or FOcus, or cavalier), is not racist in the least.

Step off your horse, Calif. Kiddo.
    I have worked for years and years with the Tibetian Refugee communitee, and am fleunt in both Nepalese and Tibetian, and I travel alot thru Siberia and SE Asia regularly for strange govt. agencies. I see the source of hate towards minorities, in every culture in the world. And Yes, grasshopper,...' ricer' is a cheap shot at racial hatred.
    The fact that you need to get a clue, instead of accepting the brainwashing that you are fed by the white majority, is quite obvious. Go ask your grandparents how proud they are to hear that your white 'buddies,' call you a 'ricer'.

THanks for your salvation, oh powerful white man! I needed that!

Honestly, Thanks for proving my point, though. Even if you probably didn't mean to...yes, scratch your head...go ahead.

Ummmmmmm he drives a VX, not a civic. That makes him very un-rice, until he puts a aweful wing up front

I really like those door hinges...

I'm saving that photo.

And, yes, IT's RICE. Poor me, I'm brainwashed.

hehehehe.

Originally posted by spaceCADETzoom
    THanks for your salvation, oh powerful white man!
    Paypal me $20 as a symbol of your gratitude.
    Steve

Originally posted by BaM*BaM
    Step off your horse, Calif. Kiddo.
    I have worked for years and years with the Tibetian Refugee communitee, and am fleunt in both Nepalese and Tibetian, and I travel alot thru Siberia and SE Asia regularly for strange govt. agencies. I see the source of hate towards minorities, in every culture in the world. And Yes, grasshopper,...' ricer' is a cheap shot at racial hatred.
    The fact that you need to get a clue, instead of accepting the brainwashing that you are fed by the white majority, is quite obvious. Go ask your grandparents how proud they are to hear that your white 'buddies,' call you a 'ricer'.
    Look man - you've had 2 people of Asain decent tell you it is not derogatory, but yet you persist in trying to convince them and the rest of us that it is. AND, you've used the "N" word in every post on this thread. THOSE are the things that fuel racial divides - the constant pouring of salt into the wound. As for a "beaner" mobile, or a car "n'd" up, I've never heard either of those terms. I'm from the South, and there are a LOT of blacks and hispanics here in Louisville. Why can't we just be Americans rather than this race or that race? Because some have to continue to keep it going - looking for discrimination when there is none, imposing unfair racial "quotas", telling minorities constantly that they are being hurt/discriminated against, etc. I am a member of the most discriminated against class in America right now - white middle class healthy male. But - I don't harbor racial hate, I consider everyone born in America to be Americans - not members of a race. If they weren't born in America, that's OK too - just speak the language if you're going to live here.

I'm sure you'll have more salt to pour into this wound - but I'd like to get back to the topic - take this ***** to another thread!

And - back to the topic, I like the "wing" in some shots and not in others - I'd have to see it up close and personal to make a final judgement. I do applaud his uniqueness and willingness to push the envelope to try different things - whether or not I like this particular mod. As someone already said - one of the best looking Ebonies out there.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

I am a member of the most discriminated against class in America right now - white middle class healthy male
    You sound like someone who lives in a "faith based reality Disney world" where the natural laws of cause and effect no longer apply if you click your heels enough and try to convince yourself of your own "divine righteous superiority".

Exclamation

Please, take the non-VX discourse over to "Chit-Chat". I'm just as guilty for getting drawn into this as well by my own comments. This community of late has become much, much too intense in regards to the intolerance of dissimilar views and outlooks. Those who have met me will remember how I've mentioned the most fascinating thing I find about other VX owners is that when you get together you always discover at least one other common interest you're passionate about. That's positive diversity.

Generally you shouldn't talk about religion, politics or how much you make amongst strangers. But I've had some of the best discussions with new VX friends at meets about religion and social issues, with everyone staunchly representing a different view but openly discussing the others.

We used to be like that here.

I was discussing how the board has become of late with my fiancee at lunch today. I run a forum for antique Caterpillar tractors and support another, and during the recent Presidential election it was entertaining to read the political threads there. While other boards were entering political melt-down and frag-fests these hard working machinery operators and enthusiasts, from all over the world mind you, were fierce Bush supporters. Especially the Australians and Europeans. Now I'm only mentioning this to highlight that it was refreshing to see a group with such solidarity over a volatile subject, no matter what their leaning.

And I believe that our problems here started about the same time the election started heating up the board. Suddenly the folk here became very galvanized voicing opinions along their party line and out right attacking those who weren't in lock-step with their beliefs. Someone you've chatted with here for years and shared jokes and mods and what-not starts sharing thoughts you've not had the opportunity to see before, and maybe you don't like it so much. Your opinion changes, and not for the better.

I just think a lot of bitterness has been seeded and many here just need to step back a bit, look at what's happening and figure what changed within themselves to bring this about.

We all are individuals with some common interests here, but far more differences person to person. Being open to those differences, being courteous and respectful enough to not attack those differences, that's what defined this board and it's community.

Now, again, please go to "Chit-Chat" for non-VX discourse. Back to Bantan's Wing-O-Lator!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...