View Poll Results: would you trade offroadability to create a Hot, rear drive, street machine ?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO WAY- NEVER

35 77.78%
  • maybe some day

7 15.56%
  • I'm working on it now... Dreaming

2 4.44%
  • I'm spinnin' nuts and swappin parts now

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: would you trade offroadability to create a Hot, rear drive, street machine ?

new poll

Wanted to start a poll. Given the opportunity (money, skills, other car,etc.) how many would be willing to give up the 4x4 and offroad ability and turn the VX into a rear drive, pavement peeling, tire eating, gas gulping street machine? Sarge, we already know your answer

Why convert to 2WD when you can do this and keep TOD. ;Dr;
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

It can already do that already - throw some NOS on it and watch those tires light up - I need to find that video of me in the parking lot, VX disappearing in tire smoke. Great drag strip times, high speed drivers ed on old runways hitting the rev limiter hard at 115. And we won't talk about all the street takedowns....

Not that my vote really counts since the Axiom is geared more toward street use than the VX but i am workin on a mean mustang eatin machine. I will be happy when i break 13s, not smokin but pretty quick for this type of vehical. I agree with keepin the awd look at how much faster WRXs can be than compariable rear wheel drive cars. 4 beats 2 any day of the week.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Thumbs up

Would love too!!

Interesting poll, but I think TOD/AWD is pretty much becoming theh norm now. With cars like the WRX (yes, and the VX) and so forth, the way we look at street machines appears to be changing. Heck, kinda makes ya wonder why Camaro and Firebird is taking a backseat on the lines for a while. Will be interesting to see just what a street machine is 10 years from now.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Ditto on Joe's and Tone's comments .....
    Maybe I don't get out enough, but I have not seen too many SUV's that are in the same league as the VX as far as 'on-road' handling is concerned ......
    the vehicle you mentioned (rear drive, pavement peeling, tire eating, etc) - might be one of those turbocharged GM vehicles .... Typhoon ... or whatever they are called ...
    One mag (a few years ago) commented that the VX handled better than any other SUV - except for maybe a 80K AMG Mercedes ...... and that may have been a 99 VX with 245-16's .......
    The incredible on-road handling of the VX is very unique - maybe it's most unique attribute - and the reason I sometimes cringe when I read comments that mention replacing the IFS with a straight axle ..... etc etc ...... to improve off-road ability. Maybe just me, but I would probably purchase a Jeep, IH Scout or similar - instead of performing that type of major surgery on a VX.
    Maybe Tone could (should ?) have mentioned the time that he accompanied a Porsche club on an autocross event .........
    Me ? - I would have liked just a tad more room behind the rear seats .... maybe moving the rear seat location up would satifsfy me ..... ???
    Last edited by t2p : 12/03/2004 at 01:35 PM

I think TOD/AWD is the way to go. Or stay. t2p mentioned the Typhoon. The Typhoon was GMC's SUV version. The Syclone the mini truck version. Syclone was produced in 1991 and the Typhoon in '91 and '92.
    Both had the same chassis platform and drivetrain. The Syclone being a bit faster because it was considerably lighter. They put out around 280 horses, had a good suspension and Et's around 14 +- stock. (If I remember correctly) 0-6 about 5.5, again if I remember correctly. Top speed was rev limited to 125 mph. But what was the big difference in them as compared to other hi-po trucks and most cars of the day was they were AWD. They could really get off the line in a hurry. They weren't very heavy by comparrison to other SUV's/Trucks of the time or even today.
    I guess if I could have only one wish for my VX it would be for it to be considerably lighter. But then I would not be getting the all around vehicle it was meant to be.
    Raider

Tone,
    I'd love to see that video. And there used to be one of you on a track (and something about Porsches) - is that still around? As for NOS, just how safe is that?

morgan-tec,
    The Axiom looks mean from the front. I think a lowered kick-arse street monster version of that would be pretty sweet.

t2p,
    Your comment about the magazine article was right on. I believe the quote you're referring to is this:
    In the twisties, that means the VehiCross is probably the best-handling SUV made, save for the nearly $70,000 Mercedes ML 55 AMG.
    It comes from Four Wheeler's 2002 Four Wheeler of the Year issue, here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/5034/index.html
    It's a good read, very positive about the VX, and basically the VX won everything performance-wise but they didn't like the interior, griped about the rearward visibility, and said there was no grab handle on the rear door even though there's a pic of a tester using it in the article. And none of that really affects the off-road capability, so if they were really looking to crown a four wheeler of the year, the VX was the rightful winner.

I totally agree about maintaining the on-road handling characteristics of the VX. We can safely take a tight curve like very few SUV's can, if any. I have been in a few situations where I swerved hard and I swear it behaved better than my old Dodge Avenger ES, and the strongest point about that car was its handling (out-slaloms Eclipse GS-T's)! I like having a very capable off-road vehicle even in stock form, and that's enough for me. I've decided I won't do much real serious off-roading and it spends the great majority of its time on the street. Plus since I got into rallycross, handling is paramount and lifting it would be a negative. I could try to lower it a bit, but any gain in a rallycross respect would be negligible and the stock clearance is nice to have when I need it (and I love being able to just slide under there to work on it!).

Tone,
    I'd love to see that video. And there used to be one of you on a track (and something about Porsches) - is that still around? As for NOS, just how safe is that?

morgan-tec,
    The Axiom looks mean from the front. I think a lowered kick-arse street monster version of that would be pretty sweet. By the way, I saw a tag frame today on a Mustang GT that said Mustang GT - I'm eating rice tonight. We actually had a Subaru at one of the rallycrosses with a SUV ETR tag, which I found humorous because for the most part that isn't really saying much.

t2p,
    Your comment about the magazine article was right on. I believe the quote you're referring to is this:
    In the twisties, that means the VehiCross is probably the best-handling SUV made, save for the nearly $70,000 Mercedes ML 55 AMG.
    It comes from Four Wheeler's 2002 Four Wheeler of the Year issue, here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/5034/index.html
    It's a good read, very positive about the VX, and basically the VX won everything performance-wise but they didn't like the interior, griped about the rearward visibility, and said there was no grab handle on the rear door even though there's a pic of a tester using it in the article. And none of that really affects the off-road capability, so if they were really looking to crown a four wheeler of the year, the VX was the rightful winner.

I totally agree about maintaining the on-road handling characteristics of the VX. We can safely take a tight curve like very few SUV's can, if any. I have been in a few situations where I swerved hard and I swear it was more composed than my old '95 Dodge Avenger ES, and this was with Mud Terrains on the VX which aren't as grippy on the street. To put this in perspective, the strongest point about the Avenger was its handling, and in a magazine review it was said that the 1995 Avenger out-slalomed a 1995 Eclipse GS-T! And my brother had a '95 Eclipse GS-T which I've driven, so I know that is an accomplishment and a testament to superior handling beating a much lighter, much faster car.

I like having a very capable off-road vehicle even in stock form, and that's enough for me. I've decided I won't do much real serious off-roading and it spends the great majority of its time on the street. Plus since I got into rallycross, handling is paramount and lifting it would be a negative. I could try to lower it a bit, but any gain in a rallycross respect would be negligible and the stock clearance is nice to have when I need it (and I love being able to just slide under there to work on it!).
    Last edited by Heraclid : 12/03/2004 at 06:43 PM

can we just give up the offroad ability and keep teh fancy four wheel drive?
    ________
    Laguna Bay II Condo Pattaya
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:47 PM

I just question how much hp. this tranny could take. It doesn't seem "overbuilt. Thinking more about weight here as well. That TOD and all the front drive bits ddefinitely have a signifigant weight penalty . Not complaining about the handling, I love this vehicles handling... for its type. Just want a bit more. Squat it down some, for starters. A Nissan or maybe Subie Turbo 6, dialed in around 375 or 400 may be nice.
    Still just dreamin' kids.
    Wayne

Go to my gallery and see the Suzuki we did. No I don't have anything quite that silly in mind. Sick Toy was just for fun. It's a handful to drive hard, and that is not what I want at all.

Don't mess up a perfectly good VX to do this.

Go buy a car thats already RWD and do your dumb ricer crap to it instead.
    2000 Black VX 105k

I bought it, I paid for it, and I'll do as I please with it thank you. I'll just put you in the" never- definitely not" category.