View Poll Results: would you trade offroadability to create a Hot, rear drive, street machine ?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO WAY- NEVER

35 77.78%
  • maybe some day

7 15.56%
  • I'm working on it now... Dreaming

2 4.44%
  • I'm spinnin' nuts and swappin parts now

1 2.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: would you trade offroadability to create a Hot, rear drive, street machine ?

Ditto on what Maugin_VX said.
    Post# 14

Don't mess up a perfectly good VX to do this.

Go buy a car thats already RWD and do your dumb ricer crap to it instead.
    Ruxpin, remember you asked us our opinions.
    We all know that with today's techs that it is possible to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear,.... but why do it?
    "The USA Is Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill 'Em!"

The 4L30E tranny has a pretty good track record and is used in everything from Chevy trucks to BMW E-series sedans. The Borg-Warner TOD unit successfully finished several Asian rallies while coupled to the 5-speed from the Trooper and also visited the Paris-Dakar rally. I don't think there's a lot of question regarding its ability. As for the weight issue, well, you're tackling it from the wrong end. Dropping the front axle components and the TOD will shave about as much weight as a healthy American passenger. Remember, this is a truck. It has a frame. And that's where your weight issue comes in. Not too many sports cars have full frames anymore, and the ones that used to really weren't sports cars in the true sense of the word. Unibody and subframe construction pretty much won the weight and handling battle in car construction. There is always room for improvement, you just need to come up with a specific goal to design towards. Otherwise you're just perpetuating compromise.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Just so you guys understand.... this is not happening to 0177, or the other black one. Ron is on the way back from the upper peninsula Mi. some time next week and said he had a surprise. I already know it is a VX of unknown color or condition. I'm trying to come up with some alternative to his typical 350/350 tub it approach to vehicle modification. He loves the look of the vehicle, that is all he is interested in this time. He has the other one to keep stock. I just think we can do something much more interesting, that's all. Looking for input from others that love this car. Like the Studie, whatever we do will be SEMA bound. You'll see it.

To Maugan and BamBam: No harm no foul..... just looking for constructive input; This car will be chopped up!! I just have more than a little input in how it turns out... what it becomes, ya know?
    Thanks all.
    Wayne
    Thank You Joe... as usual,the depth of your tech knowledge is amazing. You know us body guys, metal, plastic and paint is our art... the rest is just swapping parts

Thumbs up

Wayne, I've got it: 22's and a turbine with dual side exhaust. Whooosh!!! ;Dr;

Originally posted by Maugan_VX
    Don't mess up a perfectly good VX to do this.

Go buy a car thats already RWD and do your dumb ricer crap to it instead.
    kinda funny how most of us drive on road and really have no need for 4wd. yet making it handle better on road is considered ricer.

yet lifting it and putting on 33" tires...etc is considered ok for the car....hmmmm
    ________
    WELLBUTRIN SETTLEMENT INFO
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:48 PM

Anytime you turn a vehicle into something it was not meant to be, you can equate it to rice in my book.

Taking a multi-dimensional machine and gutting it to turn it into some road queen...makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

Thats just one jackasses' opinion though. Good luck.
    2000 Black VX 105k

the car was made for both on road and off road.....but i do see ur point....
    ________
    RedFire cam
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:49 PM

hey .......
    I kind of like the idea .... 350/350 ....... in just about anything .....
    those were the days when you could put a nice small block chevy together ...... with money from a part time job while you were in school .........

I once saw a 1978 Corvette painted candy apple red, really nice inside and out, lifted about 3 feet. Must have been mounted onto a chevy truck frame with a huge lift kit and tires. I thought it was very creative and different.

I like the idea, too, ruxpin. Something away from the norm. Weight will always be an issue, though. But, I say go for it.
    Would you be able to make it street legal considering it's year? If that even matters.
    Raider

Florida Baby!!! No inspection- No emissions- very "liberal" saftey regs. Yaaaa!!!

I want a more on-road bias, as I rarely encounter anything more difficult to hop than the Chicago alleys, potholes, and pavement buckles.

I believe the vx concept had a composite frame and was much lighter and quicker, unfortunately the frame didn't make it to production due to cost constraints.

Question

According to the 4wheeler article, "Amazingly, this performance did not pay a price at the pump. The 'Cross turned in the best mileage of the bunch with a combined mpg of 17.3"
    WTF??? Anybody else get this kind of all 'round mileage? I get 13-14, if I'm lucky... and I'm rarely lucky! (Could have something to do w/ my oversized right foot, though...)

Tone: What kind of NOS setup were you using and what was you're impression of the ability of the drivetrain to handle the extra juice?

I get anywhere from 17 to 19 mpg. on a routine basis. Mostly at 70or 80 mph. The synths helped some plus it's nice and flat here.

I intend to make performance modifications the very day i get my VX, starting with a Cold air intake, and an exhaust, im not into offroading, but i do love the VX becuase of its futuristc looks and i love the car overall. infact when i am done with it will be a street machine, but i dont see why 4 wheel drive takes the street out of street machine, look at the evos, the gen 2 turbo 4wd eclipse/talon, and the wrxs out there, rally inspired so is the VX some what, and i intend to take full atvantage of that, im still looking for headers that will fit, if not i'll make my own and send them to jethot to coat them. I like fast cars, i like the sound of a roaring engine, im sitting here thinking - who the hell doesn't? (no beef with you if u dont - if thats ur thing)
    I want a VX. I am going to buy one. Soon.
    DaNiiK@OpTonLiNe.NeT -Danny