View Poll Results: Options for the VX only run (Choose all that apply)

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going on this trail (Need an accurate count to see if we need a permit for Arch Canyon)

9 100.00%
  • I want to go, but not this trail

0 0%
  • I DO want to do an overnighter (For the Arch Canyon Trail)

8 88.89%
  • I do NOT want to do an overnighter (For the Arch Canyon Trail)

0 0%
  • I want to START on Monday May 16, 2005 (For the Arch Canyon Trail)

4 44.44%
  • I want to START on Tuesday May 17, 2005 (For the Arch Canyon Trail)

3 33.33%
  • I can't decide what day to start!

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VX only run May 17th 2005 - Added new poll!

Thumbs up I want in!

I'm going to try to make Moab this year.

The trip to Blanding and Hotel Rock sound awsome! I found a new article about a different 4X4 trip to Hotel Rock. http://www.4x4central.com/arch.html

Peace.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Re: noob Q's....

Originally posted by biju
    Hey VX'ers...

Questions - and thanks in advance for your time and help....

I'm relatively new to the VX community having purchased my VX this summer after driving (*gasp) a Jetta for years. I will be in Moab to meet (hopefully) all who'll be there in 2005. Being new to the 4x4 world and the VX I'm really interested in the trails you speak of. I've done some research on this site and others as far as equipment and preparedness goes for off-roading. However, my question is about the trip/trail in this post. I'm a total off-roading 'virgin' with NO experience other than just a few mountain roads here in the Rockies. Is it something a first time off-roader could handle? (the trail in this post).

Thoughts, recommendations, advice? Again, thanks gang.

-biju.

*Update: after a few PM's w/ url's, looks like the trail in this post will be a *tad* outta my league. Thanks all !!!..............
    I guess I will give my opinion to your questions. I should think that some of the others will chime in with their thoughts and maybe a different perspective than mine. First off I am considerably experienced with the Moab area as well as 4 wheeling so sometimes I tend to take things for granted and common knowledge.

I will say this. If you are concerned that you might scratch or put a dent in your VX and you would come to tears if you did, come to Moab but choose easier trails than the one I am proposing an this tread. Work your way up to a 4-rated trail. I can't remember whom it was that took a small chunk out of the cladding on the VX only run a few years ago even with all the warnings, but he was pretty mad to say the least.

Until you experience honest to goodness 4-wheeling in Moab (or elsewhere) you just will not get it. Not sure if you have seen the window stickers in Jeeps that say "it's a Jeep thing you would not understand" In reality it should read "it's a 4-wheelg thing you wouldn't understand". This is because it is something you have to experience to understand. Unfortunately many of the Jeeps you see this on are built way beyond the drivers ability to use but that is a different story I wont get into here.

On the other hand if you can listen to instructions and follow them well. Won't freak out getting winched or strapped up a 12 foot wall that may seem vertical. Understand that with a slight judgment in error you could total your VX, (I am not kidding here many on this board can remember a nice Trooper rolling on one of the 'ZuZoo trails a few years ago) then feel free to come along. You will never regret it and be witness to some of the grandest vistas on earth. Not only that, when was the last time you were allowed to poke around in an unguarded museum and were on the honor system to do so. This is what you will be experiencing at these seldom-visited Indian ruins. I will remind everyone that we only take photos at these sites.

The reason my wife and I got into 4-Wheeling more than 30 years ago was to see and visit areas not everyone is able to. Linda and I enjoy all aspects of the sport from trail riding to competition but we have come to the realization a trip like the one I am proposing is what it is all about.
    Last edited by Todd Adams : 01/26/2005 at 08:38 AM

Here 'tis

OK guys, Who's going and do you want it to be an overnighter. If you want to do the overnighter what would you think about starting Monday so we can be back in Moab for Wednesday morning and the start of ,ZuZoo IIIV.

Todd

VX only trip

I'm in, sounds great! If you guy's say a stock VX can handle those trails. I'll be there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

We could all just head to your spot Todd on Monday instead of Moab then make our grand arrival on Tuesday night. What kind of arrangements need to be done. Do we need to bring tents? After last year, I feel pretty ballsy but, is this a trail that a stock can make? I may be adding some spacers for the rear springs to give me a few inches extra and torque the front but, is that enough?
    Scott / moncha.com

Todd and I added a poll.. Answer only if you are serious about attendance.

The Calendar also has a feature to maintain a list of "Attendees".
    Go to:
    VX Only Run Moab, UT May 17, 2005 and click the "I will be attending this event" link to be added to the list.
    Last edited by Moncha : 01/26/2005 at 10:01 AM Reason: Added poll

Guys,
    Please don't vote on the pole unless you are going. As of right now there are 5 going but 8 have voted, so I don't know what the folks that are going want to do.

If there are enough 1st timers and or stock VX's that want to do the "VX only" run then maybe this trip is a bit to aggressive and we should do an easier sight seeing, get aquatinted with Moab and it’s terrain type run. This is the reason for the poll. For the folks that want to do more aggressive trails there are plenty to be had the rest of the week. I am just having second thoughts about “Hotel Rock”.

I am not voting. I will do what the majority wants to do. We will have a good time no matter what we do. There is plenty of time to decide.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Adams : 01/27/2005 at 08:39 AM

I would assume that if they voted they are attending but I could be wrong. Some may not know you can make multiple choices since it is not stated.

Fixed it.. Says choose all that apply now. I can clear it if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    Fixed it.. Says choose all that apply now. I can clear it if needed.
    That would be a good idea. 9 voted but only 6 going. I want to know from just those that are going what they want and we will do what the majority wants.
    Todd

Ok, We started a new poll

ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GOING

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    Ok, We started a new poll

ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT GOING
    Early exit polls indicate overnighter leaving on Monday, However the vote may be challenged by the Massachusets faction & a recount necessary.
    Dissidents, (Prisoners-non-residents-tire slashers,)please contact George Soros at moveon.org.to receive instructions on how to effect the outcome of this poll.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Ha Ha Ha Ha! You're a riot Bob!!

You guys crack me up! But this will do. I will now wait and see. This ought to be a great trip no matter how it turns out.
    Todd
    PS I am going to find a hub along the route!