Thread: 4wd Hi questions

4wd Hi questions

Hey folks,

After doing some searches here on TOD disconnects, 4wd hi settings, and the like, I got questions (surprise, surprise):

Is there some way to set up a *single* switch that would simultaneously disengage the TOD and turn the clutch solenoid on, setting me into 4wd hi? I don’t really want a separate switch for each operation – I can’t see myself ever needing 2wd, but 4-hi would be really handy here in the winter. If anybody could supply a wiring diagram and/or a quick how-to for such a single-switch setup, I’d be mighty appreciative!

Have there been any long-term issues with a 4wd hi set-up? Does it screw stuff up? Appreciable extra wear-and tear?

I noticed that some people with TOD mods have factory switches – are those from a Trooper? If so, then 1) would they work with the single switch set-up I am proposing (enough connection points, etc), and 2) what is the year/part number?

Thanks again to everyone here for the help

Ron

It seems to me you do not want a TOD disconnect but only a high lock? The advantage of this is that the front wheels will be constantly engaged similar to being in 4 LO. All it really consists of is an electrical jump that gives the required voltage to the electromagnetically operated center differential so that is stays engaged like when all the lights are on in the dash indicator. The advantage I have seen of it is mostly when the lights flicker in a loose traction area with partial throttle. I get alot of this and it seems that the system has to "hunt" back and forth like it cant make up its mind and I hear a light banging noise. Some others may give more input, but I know the modification write up is on www.isuzoo.com

Good Luck!

Exactly!

Thanks - thats just what I wanted, and also just WHY I wanted it. I'm thinking it has the potential to cure the "jackhammering" on-and-off of the clutches some have experienced on ice and snow as well.

Does anybody know if the planetisuzu mod will work in exactly the same way on the VX? I'm thinking so, but the Trooper does have a slightly different set-up (pneumo-electric valves and what-not).

Lastly, how different are our pins, connectors, etc. from the planetisuzu how-to? Of course, the answers might be right here in front of my face, but I'm not enough of an electrician to put the pieces together without some guidance . . .

Thanks again,
    Ron

TOD is meant to HELP with low traction situations which you would typically drive slowly on or in 4 low- I’ve only driven on snow and ice a couple of times and I wouldn’t want TOD off as it helped me. 4Hi sounds good for some situations - gas mileage might drop a bit though.
    Last edited by Tone : 11/20/2004 at 07:09 PM

I find TOD annoying while driving in the sand dunes, I dont really need Low range but I am finding myself using just for better steering response. Plus top speed is only around 80kph in low range. So I would find 4WD Hi very useful.

The High-lock jumper doesnt turn the TOD off, it just tricks the electromagnet to stay engaged with the 3 light bars on the dash indicator. I wouldnt see it as a drive around feature unless extreme winter driving like 2 feet of powder or mountain driving. It would be used kinda like the winter button. You anticipate a situation where it will usually bang around, flip switch, not need it and flip switch off. It just wont have the auto shut off that the winter drive button has unless someone knows how to set one up that way. It will work just like driving around in 4lo with the power never coming off the front. It just stays in 50/50 power distribution. I wont rant again about the fabulous Subaru STI, but it has a auto/manual center diff also, and its "lock" function does the same thing. It also cant be driven in the dry engaged in lock. Well it can, but Ive heard some frantic people ask why their 32,000 car is bucking and making awful noises. A regular 4wd truck does the same thing on asphalt. The TOD disconnect can be done alongside this mod, or both by themselves. The only downside is... make sure you turn it off on dry terrain or tight turns as it will bind as it does in 4lo. Thats why your dash indicator in a stock VX doesnt light up below 5-7 mph to allow for this sharp radius steering turns which is usually done below these speeds (tight parking lot maneuvers). This will bypass the automatic feature when on, but will be stock when off. driving stock at these speeds is where the banging back and forth occurs. But this is where it usually bangs back and forth. It acts the same way an automatic tranny does when someone says it is "hunting gears" since this is essentially an automatic transfer case- the principle is the same. if you womp on the go pedal, It will just light em' up and go!!! LOL I have found that rally driving with TOD usually takes the bugs out.
    Last edited by MrCrowley : 11/22/2004 at 05:37 AM