Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boing! boing! boing!

Boing! boing! boing!

Hey all, new to the VX, but a long time lover of the vehicle. I was just wondering with the "non-standard" shocks on the VX, will the front end bounce after hitting a road anomaly? My first impression is that the shocks are toast. I'm just wondering before I go out and replace/rebuild them.

If the shocks are toast, I'll most likely rebuild them. Anybody have experience with these? (BTW- I rebuild aircraft struts, I'm just looking for pertinent info)

Thanks!

Mine are still good at 78k.. I'm thinking they will bounce but I don't know.. my only test is when I go offroad I never seem to bottom out, i used to do that all the time with either the jeep wrangler or the cherokee when they were bad. And I never seem to bouce..I know what you mean, so I should be good.

Hey, and if you can rebuild them, you might have a good business here... Unless it costs more than the bilsteins of course, I heard they were the best replacement so far...

Thanks for the reply. I also own a 97 Wrangler, I'm accustomed to some sort of bounce, but this vehicle seems excessive.

Thanks again, and what I may do is get a set of aftermarket shocks and tear into these. If I can repair for cheap money, it may be interesting!

My back-end was bouncing like mad when I got it. Looked underneath, and the shocks were leaking big-time. I think if you're bouncing, it's likely the shocks doing it. Have a closer look and see if they're leaking.
    Steve

I would say stock shocks don't 'bounce' per say when working correctly. They are pretty stiff and not 'bouncy'.

Sounds like they might be toast. Take them in and have someone tell you for sure.

Anybody have a part number for the bilsteins ?

Originally posted by Dallas4u
    I would say stock shocks don't 'bounce' per say when working correctly.
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say: "if it's bouncing, it's likely the [misfunction of the] shocks doing it."

Originally posted by Rooster
    Anybody have a part number for the bilsteins ?
    Check my signature. You can get H2's for a softer ride or H1's for a stiffer ride.

EDIT: full part # is B46-1738-H1 or B46-1738-H2

Originally posted by transio
    Check my signature. You can get H2's for a softer ride or H1's for a stiffer ride.

EDIT: full part # is B46-1738-H1 or B46-1738-H2
    Thank you sir!!!

Roost .......
    this is not uncommon .......
    at 35K, three of my OEMs were completely shot ....... and the fourth was 98% shot ...........
    rebuilding the OEM dampers would probably be more expensive than a set of quality replacements ....... and the reliability would still be suspect ...........

Thanks t2p, but as I stated I rebuild landing struts for airplanes. Unfortunately I can't have a reliability problem

Still, if I were to start out with inferior material...

Looks like I'll be getting some Bilsteins but I still want to take a look at the inner workings of the OEM's.

Thanks again fro the heads up

Smile

Hi Rooster,
    There are a few good posts on the shocks. Do a search on Shocks and you will get some good reading.
    I'm just purchasing 4 new ones. The rest of the replacements are sub standard to the OEM. IMHO
    There is a recent post with some one who will rebuild them and a good explanation on why the OEM shocks are very good performance shocks. But once you get a leak, they will trash themselves quick.
    As everyone can attest, when the shocks are good , this vehicle is sweet handling. And yes, there is no bounce.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Originally posted by Rooster
    Looks like I'll be getting some Bilsteins but I still want to take a look at the inner workings of the OEM's.
    The OEM shock has tons of rebound damping so you shouldn't be experiencing any bounce. All that rebound damping is one of the reasons they pump themselves dry in hurry when they start to leak though.

They look like any other reservoir shock on the inside. Standard shim stack. Standard Kayaba seal head. The only thing different is they use a piston to separate the nitrogen from the oil which I'm told is standard for European shocks such as White Power, Ohlins and Marzocchi but is unusual in Japanese shocks, which normally utilize a bladder system.

The seal end is a breeze - but have fun getting that reservoir open!

Originally posted by Reg Hinnant

I'm just purchasing 4 new ones. The rest of the replacements are sub standard to the OEM. IMHO
    That's over $1000 - am I right? Have you given any consideration to going with rebuilt? We've got Skidplate's to use as cores so no down time for you. Just a thought. A $500 thought...