Thread: PV installed

PV installed

Just picked up my VX couple hours ago from the shop, installed the PV with a 3.5 inch piping,and good a very nice custom tip, sounds very good, my buddy witha supercharged GT approved of the sound so therefore i am happy, i can tell a little bit of a power gain or maybe its just the louder sound.SO thanks again Bantan and sorry for an earlier thread!

couple q's?

I thought the gas milage suppose to incrase, maybe it's just me again but it gazzled 1/4 tank in about 40 miles, doesn't seem right, can it be b/c of the 3.15 inch piping?too much free flow, or what?

Around 50mph it gets so loud in the cabin that i can't even hear the music, anybody tryied dynomating? if did, how does it work?

Thanks

DamN

In my experiance with new louder exhaust most people do lose a little mpg, not because of the muffler but becasue of the new sound. You will notice you are probibly driving it a little harder just to hear the exhaust. In theory you should gain a little mpg but it totaly depends on your driving habits. The loud interior resonance is a common complaint of the PV muffler, the only thing you can do is Dyno mat or another like sound deading material. It does work but it is costly to do it right.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

I don't think a muffler would cause problems with the ECM, but you might want to disconnect your battery for 15 minutes just to be sure.

If the engine is breathing easier, it might be consuming more fuel than it should. Who knows. Can't hurt to reset the ECM.
    2000 Black VX 105k

It would be worthwhile to change out the intake (or at least the filter) to increase air flow - the trick is to increase flow at both the front end (intake) and the back (exhaust). Your VX ECM hasn't yet adjusted to the change so resetting is always a good idea whenever you make performance changes.

I personally did not see an increase in miliage with the PV, but others on the board have reported it to be so (driving habits, as Morgan has said above).

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I didn't notice and increase or decrease in mpg with the PV installed. I didn't notice a larger grin on my face from the sound and little extra kick in the pants, though.

Also, your ECM should adjust for any changes... resetting just makes it adjust more quickly (and allows you to reset your stations on your radio).

As for sound/vibration damping, I don't think it helps very much. I've got my entire interior covered in Brown Bread (better than Dynomat), and the low growl at 35-40 mph is still quite overwhelming. From what I've read around here, the best thing you can do is replace the tailpipe tip.