Thread: more prep for the turbo

Smile more prep for the turbo

Well i did a little more prep for the turbo project, i installed a 16" 2500cfm electric fan with an adjustable temp controller. It was very easy install and well worth the money. My axiom runs noticably cooler and i did pick up a little power, i have not put it back on the dyno but i can feel it in my rear end. Here are some pics:

And here is the controller, mounted on the drivers side inner fender with the ECU.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Fine in the winter. I'm interested in if it works in the summer with AC on in traffic though.

I think the elec fan moves less air than the stock fan.

John C.

Well if i am sitting in traffic at an idle, then the electric fan is moving a ton more air that the stock fan because it if either on of off, not rpm dependent like the stocker. 2500cfm is the recomended airflow for a big block so i think i will be just fine.

My experience with dual high flow electrics has been considerably less sucessful than the stock mechanical and that was before the SC. Of course this is TX but it ran significantly hotter than with the stock, was irritatingly loud, added vibration and is a HUGE draw on the electrical system (30amp+ - definitely want a Yellow Top with this mod). Autothermostat probe was difficult to insert into the hose without leaks.

BTW, there is NO difference between a Yellow and a Blue top battery other than terminals (in the same series) - you can get both in different amperages but internally they are the same.

Morgan, I look forward to seeing your Turbo project completed - please keep track of all your expenses and time to see what it really costs. I keep thinking a centrifugal SC like a Vortech unit would get you the same late RPM gains without all the plumbing nightmares. But I guess some people just like Turbos!

Well i am running a Stinger high power dry cell battery so i am not woried. WE have done a bunch of electric fan conversions at Redline with no problems. My sensor does not go in the hose either somple rediator install. I have a lot more experiance and success with turbos and they really are not that big of a plumbing nightmare for the extra gains.

Just a little update, 95 degrees today and the temp gauge stayed to the left pretty far, much cooler than the stock fan setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce
    Fine in the winter. I'm interested in if it works in the summer with AC on in traffic though.

I think the elec fan moves less air than the stock fan.

John C.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan-tec
    I have a lot more experiance and success with turbos and they really are not that big of a plumbing nightmare for the extra gains.
    I'm a big fan of turbos too, but only when spun at considerable (at least double digit) boost levels. Anything less than that you may as well go with a centrifugal superchager and some sort of I/C.

Can the 3.5 handle 10+ psi?
    My turbo experience is limited to the SR20det, RB25dett, KA24-t, 4G63, B16, EJ20t, EJ22t and the VG30dett. The VG30 was a holy nightmare because of the limited room in the engine compartment. I don't see how the VX is going to be easy to plumb, but then again, I don't have half of your fab skills.
    What kind of manifolds are you thinking of?
    Last edited by mbeach : 05/21/2005 at 09:49 AM

ka24....wats the max boost on tat with the stock block?

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    The KA's a tough motor -iron block, forged crank, etc. Chris May pulled 26-27 psi on his KA. Most bolt on kits for the KA will leave you around 10 psi.

Well since this post was started i have changed plans a little. I am working on a powerdyne S/C instead of the turbo, basically i got lazy and also wanted to make it easy to remove for warrenty reasons. The 3.5 should handle 10-11psi if i can figure out the fuel. I am planning on about 8-9psi with the current puttey i have on it. It is still in the design and fab stage but i hope to get it done this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I'm a big fan of turbos too, but only when spun at considerable (at least double digit) boost levels. Anything less than that you may as well go with a centrifugal superchager and some sort of I/C.

Can the 3.5 handle 10+ psi?
    My turbo experience is limited to the SR20det, RB25dett, KA24-t, 4G63, B16, EJ20t, EJ22t and the VG30dett. The VG30 was a holy nightmare because of the limited room in the engine compartment. I don't see how the VX is going to be easy to plumb, but then again, I don't have half of your fab skills.
    What kind of manifolds are you thinking of?

i read tat our tranny r the weak point of the whole car...i duno if the vx and the axiom have hte same tranny......