Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine starts, then dies

Engine starts, then dies

The thing starts right up, then dies... over and over. I can rev it then I take my foot off the gas, it dies. Does it sound like the throttle positioning sensor to anyone? Also... if this does sound like the problem, where is it located? Autozone sells it for just under $26.
    Last edited by crager34 : 10/28/2004 at 05:18 AM

Check that MAS is firmly attached to the intake tube and that the connection to it is secure (unlug and replug). TPS is located on the throttle body upfront.

Thanks Tone!! Trying to download the manual from your site and it gets stuck at 3.57mb..... any ideas?

BTW - PV muffler I got from you awhile back.... IT ROCKS!

mine did this one night, then it just started working again, no clue why, though I am not too worried about it. someone suggested to me fuel pressure regulator, no clue though.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

More info....

I live in Ohio.... wet outside...full tank of gas, new battery, upper 40's tempurture, first start in the morning....

Hopefully a $25 part will get this done.

Crazy: I live in the NAti and mine just did the same thing at lunch!

Mine just did the smae thing at lunch.

I had a pinhole leak in my fuel pressure regulator, and it caused something similar. I'd start the car, it would rev, and then die.

Mine acted somewhat similar a few months ago. I changed my fuel filter and it has not happened since. That would be the cheapest place to start.

my VX does this repeatibly. Everyonce n a while I will attempt to start, then it dies...same..etc...attempt to start but keep gas on pedal it will stay started...but take foot off and it will die. Open gas cap and close AFTER you attempt to start and then it dies...and it will usually be ok.

not sure why...have checked all connections to anything that could be a culprit....I've been told to replace the fuel pressure regulator and that should fix it...

Started happening to me a about 6 months ago, I replaced the fuel filter then it stopped. However, It started happening again, this past weekend after I turtled my way into a gas after being on negative E, my guess is there was air in the tank plus the gas station was notorious for "bad gas", but thats all I could find at the time. (got to finish bad tank of gas)
    Note:
    If you are pressed for time, start the engine place right foot on gas pedal imediately, keeping it steady at about 1000rpms, put your left foot on the brake pedal (press hard), check your mirrors, shift into drive or reverse. Then take both feet off pedals(you may feel a jerk), it won't cut off at that point.
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

mine has done it for 2 years

off and on...sometimes it does it everytime you attempt o start...sometimes it doesn't happen for months.

replaced fuel filter...no help...cleaned EGR, no help, replaced pcv valve, no help, checked all hoses/electrical connections, no help

Update!

Went and purchased the TPS unit, then went to start up the Space Ship...... started right up and hasn't quit since. Maybe some air in the line... bad luck.... full moon... who knows.
    Last edited by crager34 : 11/01/2004 at 11:01 AM

I'm with SPAZZ on this one. My VX has exhibited the same behavior the entire time I've owned it. Occasionally it will just die - sometimes at a light - I have to drop it into neutral, start and goose it a little to get it to drive. After it sits for a while I can get in it and it starts right up - sometimes at high idle - after a while it stops doing it.

I've tried different fuel, changed gas filter, pcv, cleaned throttle body, ect. It still ocassionally does it - doesn't throw a code or anything (unless I jerk it into drive too quick after restarting in neutral - then the tranny light blinks until I restart).

I've gone so far as to think it's humidity related.

Initially I took it in, but the techs couldn't find anything wrong with it and couldn't reproduce the behavior. I've learned to live with it.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

me too now

I just got this problem now too. Any solutions? I was on my honeymoon last week and it started up and died 5 times in a row in one day. Then i rev'd it up and it's been ok since. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. One shop thought it might be an electronic starter switch that was going bad. Not sure what that is.

Crager34, you can get the manuals here for viewing or downloading. Look under downloads
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.