Thread: My hurt VX and a plea for advice

Angry My hurt VX and a plea for advice

So I'm stuck in the middle of the blizzard of 2003 here in North Jersey, with 27 (that's right -- the official number for my town) 27 inches of snow on the ground, digging out my driveway.

I've been digging and snowblowing for about three and half hours and I'm good and cranky and tired.

Mind you, I had to park on the street (and not very close to the curb) because the plow trucks had already been through once.

So here comes the plow truck again, and I get a funny feeling in the back of my head -- but remember -- I'm tired.

Then I see the guy BACKING UP THE STREET and I think -- oh no -- and that's when I HEAR it.

His plow blade -- hitting my VX. ;eekg;

The damage isn't too bad, and when the wife gets home in a couple of days with the digital camera I'll snap some shots, but I'll try to describe it here now.

The left rear tail light has about 20% of the cover chipped away. It also appears that he gouged the silver housing underneath a little, and put about an inch long cut on the side cladding just to the front of the light.

Now here's my question. Since we're in the middle of the freaking blizzard, it's going to take a while for me to get an estimate on it. I'm thinking that I could probably get away with just replacing the light cover for now, and maybe having the other work done later -- if it's not going to be too much.

So, from my description -- and without the benefit of pictures, which I'll have in a couple days -- anyone care to take a stab as to how much it may cost to do the full repair? I figure it probably needs a new piece of cladding, a new rear light housing and a new cover, but please bear in mind -- I'm by no means a car expert.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
    - - - - - - -
    Rob Hawley
    Proud Papa of a 2000 Green Dragon #0720
    rlhawley@comcast.net

Hey Newsman,
    WOW I am so sorry to here that. What info did you get from the guy? Is he going to let the insureance know what happened?

Tony "TDAWG" Rodriguez
    99 Astral Silver 0889

Bummer! Light cover is a complete assembly and costs around $250. Rear bumper cladding is about $275. Rear door cladding is about $100. Check with St. Charles for the best price shipped to your door.

That sucks, espesially after a perfectly good VX meet.
    Let me at him......grrrrrrrrrr
    Your best bet is to call or take it to the dealer get a price quote.
    From what you explained it sounds like about $650 and thats if there is no damage underneath. Parts are not cheap plus labor. Its going to add up. Some places actually come to your house to give an estimate.
    Good Luck:madr2:
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

Did you get a police report? Or, at least the guy's info? Check with your insurance carier, they should cover it if you have comprehensive. In that's the case, it won't run higher than your deductable - probably $500.

Talking GGGrrrrr

Would have gone Pulp Fiction on em......"MidEvil"

I am assuming this was a City snow plough? You DID get the drivers name and license number, yes?

I'd be on the phone to an attorney about the matter. Not only is the driver on the hook...b ut the city as well.

I'd go to the mattresses on this one, were it me.

....sT
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

The law in Atlanta is that if it's a municipal vehicle, the city is only culpable for a maximum of $300. They've managed to maintain this law, even with city garbage trucks totalling parked cars...

Better check your local laws.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Question

Please don't take this the wrong way, but here in pittsburgh we got 18 inches of snow, and I live on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction) Now I have a driveway and garage, but some people parked on the street and the plows could not get through! My question is WHY park on the street when there is a snow storm, and the VX is 4wd why shovel? Sorry that happened to you, my guess would be around 700.00.

Update

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

In answer to a couple questions, it was a municipal plow truck that hit me. I had barely inspected the damage on my VX before the driver was on the phone. The cops were out in about 10 minutes, taking the report.

Here's a picture I snapped of the damage...

And believe me, I'm no fan of shoveling, but a snow bank that was above the hood, plus stock tires, plus the fact that my wife's Saturn probably wouldn't have fared as well as the VX in a battle with the snow all combined to put me in the I-guess-I'll-have-to-clear-out-the-damn-driveway mode.

Now I'm waiting to get the police report from the town to take the next step.

Rob

Ouch... looking at that everyday would naw on me for sure.

Sorry man...