Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP! Wheels don't fit!

Question NEED HELP! Wheels don't fit!

Bolt pattern is fine. Backspacing is fine. Can't get the wheels on though. The hub (#1 in diagram below) and cap (#6) are too big in diameter, though, and stick out too far. The wheel gets stuck on them and won't go on all the way.

I need some advice. What can I do to make the wheels fit? Do I have to replace the entire brake system or is there just a flatter hub that I can get?

PLEASE HELP !!! Any advice or info is appreciated !!!

Thank you
    Last edited by transio : 10/11/2004 at 09:15 AM
    Steve

hey transio...

I believe you may have wheels that are best suited for the smaller hub suvs like GM or Chevys. The Isuzu's are the large hub type about 110 mm for the center bore for an aftermarket wheel.

I personally had the same experience when I purchased some other aftermarket wheels and found out the hard way that they couldn't fit for the same reasons you have. However, I was given 2 options to try to see if I can get around the dilemma.

First option would be to take it to a local wheel/machine shop that can possibly turn the wheel on a lathe and take off some inner material (assuming the wheel is aluminum) to the exact size you need to clear the hub. However, you need to make sure that there IS enough material in the inside to do this post op otherwise it would be too risky and will sacrifice the structural integrity of the wheel. A good reputable shop that has been doing this, will know right away whether it's worth doing or not.

The second option, if the first does not work out, is to return the wheels and go through a local wheel shop that they can purchase the exact same wheels for you but made to fit the VX. I went for this option since the shop will not charge for shipping the wheel back to the manufacturer if it doesn't fit and will keep trying to find other alternatives that suits your liking til one fits. I went through two more different wheel makes with Discount Tire before I found one that not only fits right, but also was happy with the look after installation.

Regarding the wheelcap/cover, you may need to get a larger or deeper sized cap to accommodate the center cap. Or you may need to fabricate a "spacer" to allow the cap to be mounted further out. Check with the wheel manufacturer to see if they offer these as options.

I also read of another alternative to convert the large stock hubs to a smaller size but don't know what the outcome of that idea was and probably wasn't too logical since costs and potential conversion headaches may not have been worth it.

Sorry to hear that you've come this close only to be stopped by something this small yet significant. I hope that something above will help one way or another as I can contest how frustrating of an ordeal this is personally. Good luck let us know of the outcome.
    Last edited by ron : 10/09/2004 at 06:49 PM
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

THAT'S TOUGH STEVE !
    Too bad you don't live nearby, I have all the machines fit for a job like this at my disposal.
    Pesonally, I'd go for altering the wheels(if there's Enough meat on them)
    If not, send them back and search for other ones.

Thanks for the info, guys. My instinct tells me that there will be plenty of "meat" to machine out. The center bore very barely doesn't fit - I believe it's 108mm - and the center of the wheels is pretty thick. Nevertheless, I'll get an expert's advice before going for it.

What a crappy situation.

If the inside of the centerbore of the wheel IS 108 mm, then all you need to have machined out is about 1 mm of surface material which will be a total of 2 mm to match the hub size of 110 mm outside diameter + or - (give or take). I would double check both sizes to make sure.

Also, TRIPLE-CHECK that NONE of the lug holes or cosmetic holes/cavities come anywhere near the center bore as this will pose a threat to the structural integrity of the wheel. Machining the wheel out to fit a larger hub SHOULD be the last alternative after checking to see if you can swap with a wheel designed to fit the VX. However, if there are none available and your heart is still set on these AND if it doesn't pose any potential break (wall thinness) through the lugs or other cosmetic holes/cavities, then go for it.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics.

This is a common problem with both Vxs and Axioms, we do share the bolt pattern and sometimes the offset with some GM, Chevy, Caddy. But we need the large center bore as do Toyota, Nissan etc. Any wheel that fits a Toy will fit An isuzu. If i were you i would machine out the wheels you have.;Dr;
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

I'm going to call the retailer and the manufacturer today to get some more info. Thanks for the help guys !!!

Does anyone know what is the length of the protrusion of the hub from the mounting face on the VX?

Oh, also, what is the function of the cap (#6)? Is it a retainer for some fluid?

PS - here's a pic of the wheels next to the VX

Look great - and look like there's some serious trimming in store in front!

Not as serious as it looks The camera perspective makes them look a little bigger than they are!

Those rims are awesome. What kind are they?

Lexani VP Offroad 18" polished aluminum w/ 285/60 BFG G-Force KDW2's

Ok, I just spoke with the dealer. He called the manufacturer, who said that the center bore WILL FIT A 108mm HUB !!! So I'm thinking that the problem wasn't with the center bore, but with the "stroke" (the length of the cutout for the hub - not sure what you'd call it). Remember I said that as I put the wheel on, I could see the center cap being pushed out. I think that the problem would only be on the front if that's the case, right? The back hubs shouldn't stick out as much? Anyhow, I'm going to take some measurements and see exactly how much of a problem this will pose. I'll keep you all updated!