Thread: Headlight bulbs

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Post Headlight bulbs

Found out tonight one of my headlight bulbs is out. I know it is only time for the other to burn out so I need recommendations on what I should buy to replace them.

I had a set of blue zenon (?) bulbs that another VX owner had purchased off ebay. Can't remember the brand name or the specs, but they lasted a long time and I liked the blue sheen they gave off.

I would like to go tomorrow and buy another set and have my mechanic put them on. Can I find something at Pep Boys or Autozone? Exactly what should I look for?

Thanks in advance. ;Dr;
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

The Sylvania SilverStar 9003ST is probably your best bet. They are readily available at places like Autozone and have been reported to look very good.

I personally went with the PIAA "Super White Platinum #15680" 80w/80w which are now sadly out of production, had to find them on Ebay. From posts here in the past, I get the feeling that the SilverStars are the next best thing and they are both cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to find.

Make sure to get LED wedge bulbs to finish off the Ice White/blue look.

Philips is the brand to go for.
    If you want hid look they have crystal vision, or if you really, really, really want good vision during nightdriving you have to go for vision plus.
    Just try them out, you won't want anything else!
    (no, I don't work for Philips)

Talking

Originally posted by thedutchguy
    (no, I don't work for Philips)
    Yeah, but you live in the freakin' Netherlands.
    Philips and Shell are like the only two companies in the whole country!

Another vote for the Sylvania Silverstars. I had them in the VX. I have them in the Rodeo. I have them in my Duke.

So there.

(By the way, the bulbs in the VX are actually Osram Silverstars... parent company of Sylvania. They are the European version of ours here but are supposedly 30% brighter. I didn't see much difference, but they still look great compared to OEM replacements).
    Last edited by Dallas4u : 10/10/2004 at 09:17 AM

Hi Anita,

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents on bulb selection. Someone's probably going to throw rocks at me for what I'm going to say, but here it goes.

I think that it's the actual bulb wattage that you should be looking for, rather than the brand. I just don't think there's very much difference in the actual brands out there - most all of them are made in the same factories in the same countries. I've had the best luck with the cheapest 120/100 watt bulbs that I found on eBay for $7 (with shipping about $13). The label generally has "Super White Zenon" and "H.I.D. Look" on them. I ran these for 2 years before upgrading to Tone's real HID kit.

Even 100/90's at $11 (including shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

In my opinon are a much better deal than $29.95 to 59.95 bulbs by Sylvania or PIAA. It's the actual amount of light given that makes the difference. I could pull up next to someone that was using high-end Halogen PIAAs and there is negligible difference in the look and light intensity. Of course this is my opinion and is a subjective one at that. If you really want something that is exponentially better, get the HID kit from Tone. The difference is amazing.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I've got the Phillps too. They are much brighter than the stanard globes. Comfortable light to drive with.

on another note I also put 55w globes in the reverse lights too, you can see much more when you are reversing in the dark. Brighter image from the camera too.

I've got the Phillps too. They are much brighter than the stanard globes.
    See! (Told ya!)

Yeah, but you live in the freakin' Netherlands.
    Guess what brand of petrol and oil Ferrari uses in F1 ?