Thread: Rear Ended! VX is a TANK!

Talking Rear Ended! VX is a TANK!

Well I finally got in the cross hairs of another motorist today and I was rear ended on the LH side. I was afraid to look after the accident but I was pleasantly suprised by the lack of damage. I have a small hole and some scuff marks. My exhaust pipe is slightly bent and has a small nick in it. The rear door opens and closes just fine. If my sore back is any indication I was hit pretty hard. She was in a Saturn and sustained much more damage than I did. I know some of you have also been hit from behind, What was the condition of the rear end after they got the cladding off? I can just imagine how long the wait will be for a new rear cladding.

Feeling lucky in Denver...

John
    John Walker
    Colorado

I didn't have to wait long at all for rear bumper and rear door cladding. St. Charles Isuzu is the place to go.

On the rear bumper, the damage was subtle. I obviously bent it a bit because the cladding screws all lined up except one. I never did get that last screw in.

On the rear door, the flexible plastic cladding could be hiding a good dent underneath, so make sure you get a second estimate after the cladding is removed if there is more damage.
    Otherwise you'll get an estimate that only covers cladding replacement.

-Daver
    -Daver

Daver,

If you don't mind how much was the cladding you replaced?

John

Rear bumper cover is around $275 I think - give St Charles a call on their 800 number and they can give you your price while you wait.

I have a hitch step that I initially installed to protect the rear cladding against the people trying to squeeze into the tight parking spots here in New York. But I think that it should help when people rear end the VX too.

Here it is:

Last edited by edyavno : 07/29/2003 at 11:29 AM

Thanks Daver,

It looks like I will have to have the muffler replaced. I got under the VX and found that the tailpipe is almost kinked closed right in front of the muffler! I'm surprised it ran at all after the accident. I'm sure not going to drive it until that is fixed. I think a powervault muffler may be in order... "When life hands you lemons, make lemonaid"

I am not surprised, the heavier car tends to get the lesser of the damage in a collision. Glad to hear nobody got hurt.
    NAVIGATOR

Angry Side swiped

Last year I was driving through a parking lot and some kid slammed on the gas heading rearward, right into the side of my unblemished 2001 Ironman(I broke her in and he rammed her!!!). He said, he didn't see me, but I think he did it on purpose(he works for me and hates me). My driver side fron rim and front side panel took most of the hit. Had the drivers front rim replaced, cladding, and the quarter panel. Cost about $2500 to replace all. Surprisingly, the cladding is strong stuff!!!!!!

You said it Navigator,

I had to feel sorry for the girl that hit me, 16 or 17 and scared to death that her mom will kill her when she got home. I am just happy we are both OK. You could tell right after the accident she was more concerned about my reaction than the accident. I am WAY past getting upset about this type of thing. I have been rear ended twice (not in the same car) and in both cases I made sure the other person was OK, able to get home, and then I shook their hand and moved on....period. Sure I am a little sore, but I also get sore after a long bike ride so what's the big deal?

John

By the Way,

That third brake light flasher from Tone is looking like a good deal...:sighp:

John

Baby is all fixed up!

I got the VX back from the shop yesterday and it looks perfect once again. The shop had to wait a week for the new rear cladding to come in, but I expected that. The insurance company had priced the cladding as refurbished. My shop told them on the spot that the refurbished parts would not match. As it turns out there were no refurbished rear claddings to be had so a new one was ordered. I would not have accepted a refurbished part from the insurance company even if they could have found one. The exhaust pipe also had to be replaced as well. I had forgotten how nice the chrome tip looks, I will be sure to keep this one polished and looking new...Total cost for the repairs was $841 and 1 day without my ride...

John

Same thing happened to me on 2-22. Dingbat in a big, 3 row seat GMC SUV (probably on her phone) @ 40+MPH at 6 o'clock low. I was at a standstill at a red light.
    RESULT:
    ME:A nice 2" punch through & scratches, broken exhaust impacted through the muffler... that's it!
    HER: That big GMC Grille was caved in, Bumper scratched badly from my hitch no airbags deployed.

I'm trying to source parts and fix myself as soon as I am cleared by my doctor. I have whiplash and concussion.
    OOH-RAH!