Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Racing Seats?

Racing Seats?

I don't know if anyone's put in racing seats, but I've been looking for some to install when I finally get around to the interior.

I think these MOMO Cup seats are really nice. They come all black with yellow "MOMO" embroidery, but I'd add some custom yellow inserts to match the Proton Yellow exterior of my VX.

What do you guys think?

Steve

we have racing seats stock!!!

I found corbeau seats but had my emails unreturned regarding fitment. I would only do it for weight, and that I want them. Keep us posted as I already looked into it- thanks
    face the mirror

Re: ......

Originally posted by SPAZZ
    we have racing seats stock!!!
    We have sport seats stock. Racing seats:
    • weigh significantly less
    • don't have leather surfaces, for better grip,
    • are better bolstered, for better grip,
    • aren't adjustable, for better bolstering and less weight,
    • are designed for use with racing harnesses!

Oh, and they can be mounted lower than stock seats

Love 'em DO IT!

Don't get me wrong, those seats look really cool. But what the heck do you need uncomfortable racing seats for? Do you do any racing? What type of racing?

I don't race yet, but I plan on rallycrossing it as soon as I get it set up to my liking.

Besides that, though, I'm a sports-car guy. I'm not into the whole cushy comfy big fat SUV feeling. I want to FEEL the road. I want to be connected to it. I want that kind of driving experience.

steve, I think it'd be better if you reupholster the original seats.
    Leave the outside original and do the middle section in alcantara like Lotus doeswith the elise.You can do it in yellow and all the sliding which is the disadvantage from leather will be over.
    It should look something like this.

Ah, the black and tan. Gotta love them brits.

Well you bring up a good point, dutchguy. I didn't want to get into the reupholstering mess. That's why I began looking for aftermarket seats in the first place. It was later that I decided on racing seats. I guess if I'm going to go aftermarket, I shouldn't bother with the reupholstering.

RE: alcantara - it's nice. I actually considered it. But I don't think it fits the VX's personality one bit. Also, I'd hate to get in to this thing all muddy or dirty or greasy or sweaty and mess up those pretty seats! I'd rather have cloth covers that I can remove and machine wash. Much better.

PS - The US Elise won't be getting alcantara. Standard seats are cloth with leather inserts. "Touring" seats are full leather.

Besides that, though, I'm a sports-car guy. I'm not into the whole cushy comfy big fat SUV feeling. I want to FEEL the road. I want to be connected to it. I want that kind of driving experience.
    I don't know how many SUV's you've ridden in, but the vx is far fom comfy big fat SUV. In fact this past weekend I got bitched out again for having such stiff suspension, the woman couldn't put her head on the headrest without feeling like she was riding a bucking bronco.

Fact of the matter is that if you want the sports car feel, you should probably go buy a sports car. That being said, the vx is about as close as you're going to get in an SUV to a stiff "every bump in the road" feel. For me, one of the major selling points for the vx were the seats themselves, I couldn't imagine getting rid of them.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Maugan,

Who says I'm not going to buy a sports car? Fact of the matter is the VX - albeit great for an SUV - is still an SUV, and by definition is big and fat. If you think the VX is close to a sports car, you should take a spin in a Lotus Elise and you'll know what I mean. Granted, I don't want the VX to BE a Lotus, but I want to tailor MY VX to MY liking.
    Last edited by transio : 09/27/2004 at 05:54 PM

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever in making the VX into something you like more. I'm not sure why somebody else would care what you want to do to your truck. So long as it makes you happy . . .

since ur plannin to autox i dont see why u shouldnt throw on some racing seats. but ur gonna hate it when u ride around everyday with those seats, the ride on the vx is stiff enough already.

anyways r the seats for 5 point harness?
    ________
    BoobsRIDE
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:37 PM

I ride around in a 360 Modena Ferarri with racing seats all the time and I find it not to bad, also on LA roads. Also many times in a CS 360 which is way stiffer, and tighter. I do not find it to dis-agreeable. I would consider getting the seats myself.

Might want to verify that the seats you intend to use are DOT approved as well as the belts if you make a change in them as well. Many places will still not inspect a vehicle that has had this kind of change.

I had good success in staying in place while Rallying using a 4 point harness and the stock seats. Huge difference over running with the stock belts.