Thread: S/C concerns?

S/C concerns?

Figured I would put this in the Troubleshooting thread....

Well, now that I am in possession of the S/C, I am curious as to annual checkups on it. Fluids, tightening of belts, etc.... and when they should be done (how often). Woudl like to get a routine down so that I can plan it out before install. That way I can have all necessary equipment, fluids, etc. ready.

Also, what concerns should I have about how the S/C operates with other components within the drivetrain? What other parts should I pay attention to that the S/C will be overworking such as tranny, cylinders, etc?

Just looking to get some insight on proper care and future possible concerns involving the S/C as part of my backbone.

Damn I look forward to getting it put in!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

You shouldn't need to change the oil very often. I changed mine after about 6 months, but after I made a 2k mile trip from Dallas to Portland. I probably didn't even need to change it then... I just felt better about doing it.

I was reading a bit on an SVT performance forum about changing SC oil. The Cobra owners, running 14 or so lbs of boost, change theirs every year or so becuase some run boost higher than factory specs. The VX kit is pretty low (comparably), and I wouls say to change it maybe every couple years... but it may be a good idea to check it every couple or few oil changes, just to make sure the level is ok. In fact, you should check it before you install it to make sure it is full. If needed, you can buy the SC oil from a GM/Buick dealer for about $7 - $8 a bottle... just ask for their supercharger oil.

As for wear on other parts... just keep an eye on the belt. Stress shouldn't be too high on the rest of the engine or tranny, although it will be a bit higher than stock. Just check the belt as often as you check your other belts and you should be fine.

Eaton/Magnuson (the manufacturer) says 100K miles between oil changes but I would recommend 5-10K as it is relatively small amount of oil and check it at least monthly - it should just run out of the hole when the plug is removed. There may be pressure build up inside but that is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Check belt tension as per install instructions monthly. If you drive hard, change your fluids more often especially oil and transmission fluid. All fluids should be synthetic already or it would be a good idea to switch. Nothing else - that is the beauty of a Supercharger.

Most all MP-62, 3rd generation roots style superchargers will make some rattle at idle but it is no big deal. It may not at first but will more than likely later. Don’t freak, it a normal thing especially if it goes away when you speed up the engine over idle. If truly concerned, call Jerry @ Magnuson to alleviate your concerns .

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    Tone
    I am about to change the nose drive to the newer model from Alpine and add the small pulley. (Mine was the first unit to ship after Dragon Bob's) My rattle has been loud for some time.
    The question is--What sealer do I use on the bolt flange of the new unit?

Also, I had to leave the oil level down 1/4" below the fill hole to stop consistant leaking around the bolts. With that done, no further leaks or fluid loss at 10k miles. When at Alpine we could not add the full 160 ml of oil - we tried. My early gear case might hold less, but 'filling till it spills', just made for leaks. I dip a small clear hose, mounted on a syringe, 1/4" into the case and pull back on the plunger to verify the level.

Thanks, Roy
    Last edited by newthings : 09/24/2004 at 10:55 PM

I found this as far as installation of SC goes:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=alpine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Alpine can tell you the proper sealant to use - it is red and very little is required to properly seal it. IF fluid is seeping out the bolts, that means the bolts need sufficient teflon thread sealant on them. Magnuson says the fluid level should be at the bottom of the drain/fill plug when it is removed. Slightly below should not be a problem though.