Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak! Help!!!

Coolant leak! Help!!!

Just saw a puddle of coolant in my garage this afternoon under the VX. Couldn't tell if it was from the radiator or a hose as the leak stopped and the coolant trail seemed to have trickled along part of the frame and other misc. engine parts. Also, the radiator area appeared to be dry along with the main hoses.

So, the baby and I went for another drive to see if it will happen again and sure enough it did. Once we got home, I heard a distinct hissing noise and saw a little smoke along with the obvious coolant smell coming from the engine. I thought the leak was coming from a hose or a loose clamp but instead it came from, what looked like, the back of the waterpump where it seals to the front of the engine.

Does anyone know if there is a seal/gasket to be replaced for the waterpump or is the pump just shot and needs to be replaced.

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the pump yourself? I've replaced pumps with previous cars and it's basically an all day thing. Or should I have Isuzu look at it as I read it MAY be covered under the warranty.

The engine didn't appear to be overheating during the drive and it looks like the only thing affected was the level in the coolant reserve tank. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    For custom VehiCross skidplates and accessories, check out:
    www.aftershockproducts.com

Don't know the answer to your ???? but...
    If your going to go to the hassle of removing the water pump to replace a gasket might as well replace the pump while its torn apart.
    Good Luck!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Typically, water pumps do have a gasket. They also have a weep hole underneath and when the internal seal goes, antifreeze will leak out of that hole. When that happens, it's best to replace the pump because the bearing won't be far behind.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Just my noobie opinion...but if I had the water pump etc. wrenched off of the engine already,I would seriously think about replacing the timing belt......If in fact that's what is used in this engine as I'm not that familiar. Just a thought.

What I understand from the warranty stuff, the water pump is covered by the 10/120.
    As stated before, do go the extra mile and have the belts and all of the extra suff replaced at the same time... My dealer is cool and lets me bring in my brand of items and just charge for labor..
    Scott / moncha.com

Waterpump is a major hassle to change which is why they do it when replacing the timing belts. I had the hissing noise you speak of at the front of the intake manifold where a small metal coolant line comes into the back side of the front of the engine - hard to describe - anyway, it enters the front elbow going to the upper radiator hose and there is a o ring that fails in there. I have the part numbers at home for the oring and gasket and it can be done somewhat easily by removing the serp belt and the upper radiator hose manifold. See the VX service Manual CD for info as well. Parts were about $10.

Refill your cooling system and have someone start and stop the engine and you can usually see where the coolant shoots out of the leak. Mine did it more right ater I shut off the engine from driving but I could smell coolant for a long time before that.

Originally posted by Tone
    Mine did it more right ater I shut off the engine from driving but I could smell coolant for a long time before that.
    That's EXACTLY what's going on with mine!!! I saw the leak spurting out in the same area as described after turning off the engine and yes the flavorful smell of the coolant lingered before and after shut off. Since the waterpump is covered under the 120k warranty, I'd rather have them do it since it's such a hassle from what you've described. I've already made an appointment to have the entire waterpump replaced by Thurs or Fri to resolve any issues. I also made their parts dept. order the gasket ahead of time since they didn't have it in.

I also just placed an order for a new timing belt and thermostat from St. Charles Isuzu which should arrive later on the week so they can replace them while they have the engine apart. I verified whether it takes additional labor to replace the thermostat and St. Charles said that it's right in line with the pump so changing the parts won't add any labor charges outside of the warranty coverage.

Thanks again Tone and the rest for your input and advice. I wasn't expecting to see the waterpump go out so soon. Oh well, at least I can get the thermostat and timing belt replaced over and done with at the same time.

UPDATE!!!!

Had the vehicle flat-bed towed to the dealership only to tell me that it was neither the waterpump or any related issue causing the leak. Now they're telling me it's a "water gasket leak"? What the hell is that? And to top it off, it may not be covered under warranty (as he's still waiting word form HQ) and will cost about $600 to repair (most of it being labor)!!!;eekr;

So, my VX now sits in the dealership shop while I wait for the inevitable word that HQ will stamp the bright red bold letters of "NO!" for the warranty claim . I'm already thinking of finding other mechanics to do the job if I can explain what the hell needs to be replaced. Anyone have any clues about this, or better yet, experience?

patiently waiting...

Maybe they mean waterpump gasket? If so, and the waterpump is considered under warranty, I would just assume the gasket would be too!

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Thermostat gasket? I think the intake plenum must be removed to get it.

As I posted above, there is an oring prone to leaking behind the water manifold (the metal 'splitter') that the uppoer radiator hose feeds into. There is a gasket and oring there that I have had both leak and the oring leak is the haredest to find but looking at it while having someone start and stop the engine will usually let you see the small stream.

The intake manifold MUST come off to replace the thermostat, gasket, knock sensor or other water lines that live under there. Intake gaskets should be replaced if doing that even though they were designed to be reused, they fail easily.

Originally posted by Tone
    As I posted above, there is an oring prone to leaking behind the water manifold (the metal 'splitter') that the uppoer radiator hose feeds into. There is a gasket and oring there that I have had both leak and the oring leak is the haredest to find but looking at it while having someone start and stop the engine will usually let you see the small stream.

The intake manifold MUST come off to replace the thermostat, gasket, knock sensor or other water lines that live under there. Intake gaskets should be replaced if doing that even though they were designed to be reused, they fail easily.
    Looks like you might be on the money on this one Tone. They're telling me it's a water hose that needs replacement which happens to be located underneath the intake manifold as you said. Now, they're quoting me around $800 to do everything. I did some research on the CD manual but couldn't tell if the location of the water hose was underneath the manifold or not by the illustration shown.

What I don't fully understand is that they're claiming a hose under the manifold that's causing the leak (which I would assume would be not as apparent) than from what I actually saw which was coolant hissing out near the top/back area of the water pump like what you've described.

Anyway, from what you've described, it sounds like a day or two job to do and since it's part of the cooling system, it's NOT under warranty. Believe me, I had an long debate with an Isuzu rep at the HQ about this one.

My question now is, is this the kind of job that I should take to a neighborhood mechanic to see if they can do it for less? Or should I just let the dealership take my money and run?

Thanks in advance for any input whatsoever.

hose leak UPDATE...

Well, after about 2.5 weeks in the shop, I finally get my VX back in running condition. After getting a quote from the dealership of $800 to replace a single water hose which runs under the intake manifold, I took my VX down to a local mechanic who said he can do it for $600. He also suggested to have all the water and radiator hoses replaced, since the intake manifold would be off.

I jumped on the deal. However, they ordered the hoses from a dealership who ordered it from their warehouse in LA. All hoses came in and were replaced promptly except for one which was sent back about 3 times til they finally shipped the right one.

Anyway, the out of pocket cost is $650 with all water and radiator hoses replaced along with a pcv valve which broke in the middle while trying to remove it, I'd say I'm a happy camper again.

Also had a chance to have my 20" wheels mounted which I'm really pleased with the results. Will post pics later when I get the chance.

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    So, with 38k miles and four years, I am thinking it is time to change the hoses. And, I might as well pop in the new aluminum radiator growing moss in my garage.
    I have ordered the upper and lower radiator hoses, a small bypass hose and the heater hoses. With the surpercharger on, am I looking at some inaccessable hose connection?
    Thanks, Roy

Doe water pump weap ole only leak when motor is off? Seems mine is only leaking very slowly when setting 24 hours or so. No hissing or smell at all..