Thread: after market radio question

Question after market radio question

After two cd changers I decided to buy a sony xplod CDX-R3000 head unit and ditch the cd changer. So far this head unit rocks while playing cd's. However the AM/FM reception is a bit to be desired. Can any of you that delve in streio systems explain why the sony head unit has such poor radio reception. I only live 20 miles from Nashville (Music City),TN and the stations don't come in as clear as the OEM head unit. The head unit was installed by Circut City so I'm assuming they knew what they were doing. I think the OEM wiring has an AM/FM booster and I'm sure the radio monkey hooked it up but the reception is still poor...kinna like getting on the edge of a radio signals range.
    Should I: disconnect the booster, add another one, try another brand head unit, or what?
    I hope someone out there can help....carlymac

my Sony Xplod CDX-R3000
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

You should bring it back to circuit city and have them hook up the antenna wire. I had a proffesional stereo shop hook mine up and they still missed the antenna wire. It still got like 2 stations pretty clear in town but otherwise nothing. Hope that is the problem.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......