Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine failure question

engine failure question

OK so I've been reading about these catastrophic engine failures and now I'm paranoid. It seems the typical scenario is a sudden, rapid increase in oil consumption. This goes unnoticed and engine failure naturally follows.

My question is this:

Why is the low oil not discovered before there is engine damage? It looks like the low oil warning light would come on and warn one before things got so permanent. Or doess the low oil light just mean low oil pressure - not oil level - so it only comes on when the pump starts sucking air? If that's the case is there an aftermarket low oil level warning system available?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

just replace the PCV valve at every oil change and clean the EGR valve at least once a year and rest easy.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Originally posted by Maugan_VX
    just replace the PCV valve at every oil change and clean the EGR valve at least once a year and rest easy.
    OK - PCV done. Looks like EGR will take a little longer so will have to wait until next week.

I'm still wondering why the oil light doesn't give enough warning to prevent permanent damage though. A $400 generator with a flathead Briggs & Stratton has a low oil sensor good enough to prevent engine damage but the VX let's us know about it with knocking rods? Something doesn't make sense...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    That is why they are called dummy lights - they don’t come on until AFTER the damage is done. The light is actually a low oil pressure light - no level. Invest in a stand alone gauge or simply check your oil at every or every other fillup and you’ll be fine. If the engine is gonna go, it can still fail even with plenty of oil in there. It’s a casting/piston issue on some but apparently no way to know if you have one. There are MANY, MANY 3.2 with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the 3.5 is simply a stroked version of a very reliable engine.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

past experience

i had a Cj that burned through aobut a quart a week. it was something i could smell. i never noticed the oil buring through on the VX either, though thinking back I do remember after parking a few times thatthe VX sound and smelled cooked. i just ignored it because i just never had a problem and never saw smoke. i don't know but now that i have a new engine things will be different.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

Originally posted by VX crazy
    There are MANY, MANY 3.2 with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the 3.5 is simply a stroked version of a very reliable engine.
    This from someone who owns three Isuzus.
    1989 Trooper SE
    2000 Vehicross
    2002 Trooper Limited.

I have to disagree on the reliability issue! With modern machining techniques engine assemblys are fabricated to extremely close tolerances- couple this with the excellent quality of lubricants available & you should have engines that go 200 K before overhaul.

Isuzu engine problems IE: Sudden loss of oil- EGR Valves- Intake manifolds gaskets- Oil Rings are result of poor design at the very least. Isuzus " Prove it's our Fault stance on Warranty" is unforgivable and has turned me from a believer to a dis- believer.
    MY Next car Subuaru WRX SI WR1 if it comes to this country.

Bob F
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Isuzu engine problems IE: Sudden loss of oil- EGR Valves- Intake manifolds gaskets- Oil Rings are result of poor design at the very least. Isuzus " Prove it's our Fault stance on Warranty" is unforgivable and has turned me from a believer to a dis- believer.
    Funny, if I was running a business, I would want to make sure that I didn't end up paying for some idiot's maintenance oversight that led to a costly repair.

Also I wouldn't want to recall all those engines with as little problems as there have been.

I had my rear shocks replaced today and she bounces like a new one.

I also had my oil changed. The guy checked both the PCV and EGR and assured me that they were in fine working order.
    My VX is in this dangerous zone (50,000 - 55,000 miles) and it looks like we are going to through it with flying colors.

On another note, oredered the purge vent selionoid today and will get it replaced next week.

Funny, if I was running a business, I would want to make sure that I didn't end up paying for some idiot's maintenance oversight that led to a costly repair.
    Also I wouldn't want to recall all those engines with as little problems as there have been.
    This is not an issue limited to faulty or poor maintenance.
    Nor are the problems 'little' or limited. The problems are common -much too common.

^ really? You have cold hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that there is a problem with the 3.5 engine? Because I don't think you do. I think you have a bunch of conjecture based upon a couple of people on teh intarnet that came across some bad luck. I'm not willing to discredit a group of engineers that posses more knowledge of engine design in their pinky toe than any one of you will hope to gain in a lifetime; simply over a couple of people got together on the internet and said "gee willikers, my engine was running like a bull with its balls cut off, and golly, its broken now."

Until I see some reputible source with numbers concerning production numbers vs. engine failures (don't forget to include the 3.5 troopers either), I refuse to participate in this tomfoolery and paranoia that you people are obsessed with.

Thumbs up

I would have to agree with you. I have a 2001 VX with 65,000 mi. and it's running perfect. No oil consumption at 3000 mi oil change intervals. No misfiring. The Engine and drivetrain "stock" was designed to last a very long time with proper care. This does not include modifications of the engine ( supercharger ) or any drivetrain modification. The beauty of this vehical is in it's stock design.

The beauty of this vehical is in it's stock design.
    My new sig.

Thank you.

You are... the man.

Reading from this sight has made me increasingly paranoid about my VX. However, it has made me more aware of my service schedule. I really do need to grease my front bearings. I'am not sure if I'll do it myself or have it done at the service dept.

Talking

Forgive me "Vehicle"

Originally posted by Maugan_VX
    ^ really? You have cold hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that there is a problem with the 3.5 engine? Because I don't think you do. I think you have a bunch of conjecture based upon a couple of people on teh intarnet that came across some bad luck. I'm not willing to discredit a group of engineers that posses more knowledge of engine design in their pinky toe than any one of you will hope to gain in a lifetime; simply over a couple of people got together on the internet and said "gee willikers, my engine was running like a bull with its balls cut off, and golly, its broken now."

Until I see some reputible source with numbers concerning production numbers vs. engine failures (don't forget to include the 3.5 troopers either), I refuse to participate in this tomfoolery and paranoia that you people are obsessed with.
    Well, the truth is now I am living it... I have had impaccable maintainence. I became friends with the head mechanic at the dealership in Northern California. I saw every diagnostic test. My sine curves were perfect. A/F ideal. I had my injectors done twice because I am like that. Fresh plugs @ 30k. Mobil 1 synthetic from A to Z. Coolant flush every summer. I lived in lake Tahoe so I considered my low mileage (short trip) driving in sometimes harsh conditions 'severe driving'. I never was harsh on my car and drove it with respect but would hit only if I had too, (i.e. freeway on ramps). Fuel 91 octane only. Redline fuel treatment every 2000 miles...PCV cleaned and always checked. All electrical connections lubed with dialectric grease. EGR valve tight and spec... My vx might not be a pretty as some on the forum but I take mechanical care of it as good as any. I treat my car like my streetbikes, snowmobiles, whatevers... My car doing this is a big let down. PO 301...made me sick to my stomach when I saw it. I don't know how it could be head gasket, bad fuel, etc... but regardless of analytical data, or statistics, I'm looking at worst 5 large for a new engine. Given I only have 56,000 miles and it is a 99 I should be on warranty but I know it won't be that easy. I hope this works for me but knowing all the grief with Isuzu North America, and then my car now I am not to psyched.
    face the mirror