Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lots of lift Q's

Lots of lift Q's

Alright I am finally saved enough for my lift! First a bit on me...... I do a lot of offroading, occasional little jumps, and long highway drives to get to these places. I would like to gain about 4.5-5" of ground clearance with this lift and tires.......oh and I also searched first

I have some TrXus MT 33x12.5x16 tires ordered, and I have the OME912 springs, and plan on flipping the BJ's. Now I am looking at getting rear shocks. I am looking at these

Bilstein 5150 series
    Part Number: BF5-A195-H1 (22.50" ext. 14.17" compressed)

Shock Q's
    Will they work? Will my springs fall out when flexed? What would be the ideal shock measurements compressed/extended? I love the stiff ride the VX has now, and I want to keep it that way so is the valving stiff enough? What valving should I look for? Do i want some kind of spacer in there to prevent the spring coming out?

Lifting Q's
    Will the 2.5" lift be enough for the tires? If I wanted some more clearance (extra 1" if needed) what is the best way of doing it? And where can I find the part?

Wheel Q's
    What would be the best offset for wheels to make the tires fit? Right now I have a set of 16x10 wheels with a -24 offset, can I make these work cheaper then buying new rims?

If anyone can answer all these questions I will ....
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

16x10 @ -24 offset will give you 4" of backspace, which is a 1" improvement over stock. I don't see why it would be a problem?
    Steve

link to last thread were I was told they would not work http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=how+much+lift

Ok, I looked at it.... they're saying you're gonna rub your fenders when turning? But you're lifting 4-5", right? I'd think that would eliminate the problems w/ fender clearance. Your wheels are gonna be sticking out about 3-4" though.
    Last edited by transio : 07/15/2004 at 05:10 PM

No I am lifting it 2.5" (3-3.5" if there is some kind of spacer that gets me the extra .5-1") but with the tires I will have 4-5" more ground clearance

To answer one of your Q.
    I have 912 springs. I think not too many people with lifted VXs used any type of spacers, but I was advised, and followed with 1'' coil spacers. You can find those here: Independet4x or DOR
    We measured as we lifted it, and it seems I got 3" of lift with this setup plus something over 1" height with my 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain. I did not change shocks, as I was told it wasn't needed.
    The ride got stiffer, and I can feel limited down travel of the wheels, but nothing really alarming so far. I think the bigest problem I had with body roll - oh boy, cornering has became a challenge for a while, until I learned to slow down... LMAO

About your wheels and tires - I have no idea... I think someone else can help you with this... Sorry
    My Other Ride Is a Puma
    www.mwior.com

I’m running 265/75/16 with OME 912, ball joint flipped, torsion bars cranked and original shocks. I had to trim a bit for the front wheels not to rub. You will not be able to fit 33’s without spacers and I doubt it if 1” spacers would be enough. I would go with 2” ones, or actually, with this setup and your usage (a lot of highway…), I would go with smaller tires.
    Just my 2 cents…

Good tire size calculator:
    Tire size calculator

you will need more than those OME 912's with the 33's............More like OME919's or the CAlmini springs and stiffer & longer shocks.

But, only crank T bars for 3" of lift unless you get high angle drive joints to replace cv'ss and chrome molly shafts. Any higher and the cv's do not like the stress offroad.

speedo will be off and you will notice a "HUGE" power loss with the 33's and stock gears so you will need at least 456's

you will be trimming alot in front and behind of the front wheels

Will these work? I mean these would solve all the CV trouble and give me the extra 1.5" of lift that I want.
    From Darlington offroad

wouldn't solve cv problem with lifting

but, they are too much with a core exchange....might as well have someone mod your stock ones

high angle drive joints to replace cv'ss and chrome molly shafts
    Hmmm, Has anyone found or had custom made any of these for the VX yet?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

there is a place in Longmont Colorado that specializes in the high angle drivelines to replace cv's...

I am moving back to Colorado...and will be in Colorado Springs so, I will be close enough to pay them a personal visit to let them have hands on. Hopefully this can be a go and I will make all info readily available

Re: ........

Originally posted by SPAZZ
    you will need more than those OME 912's with the 33's............
    I'm running the Nitto Terra Grapplers (IIRC they're 285/60/R16's) which are about 32.9" tall and they fit fine under my VX with OME 912's, cranked torsion bars, and Rancho RS9000X shocks. Took some minor trimming in the front, but they've never rubbed.

Interesting....I have 285/75/16 Goodyears (33") with that very aggressive thread design. It kinda looks like that RC Vehicross with the really big tires. I have not lifted or modified anything except had to do a little trimming in the front of wheel well and just had to hit one screw with a 16 ounce hammmer to move the screw back about 1/16 of an inch to get the tires to fit. However, my 912 just arrive and I look forward to putting them on.