Thread: Need Stereo Help

Need Stereo Help

I'm hooking up my aftermarket system and I have a few questions before I get myself elbow deep in the dashboard.

1. Whats the easiest way through the firewall for the power cord?

2. How do I remove the dash panel safely?

3. are they're any common problems that are run into?

I did a search and these are the questions I had left.

Re: Need Stereo Help

Originally posted by UNEVEN THOUGHTS
    I'm hooking up my aftermarket system and I have a few questions before I get myself elbow deep in the dashboard.

1. Whats the easiest way through the firewall for the power cord?

2. How do I remove the dash panel safely?

3. are they're any common problems that are run into?

I did a search and these are the questions I had left.
    1. the easiest way i found to runnin the power was through the existing hole, theres a rubber covering and a peice of card board.....just be careful not to punch a hole through one of the power cords

2. the dash panel is pretty straight forward....just make sure to get all the screws out...then just pull....the rest just pops out....watch out for the buttons tho(cruise control...etc), u need to pull the dash out alittle before u can get to those....

3. lost screws, clips and stuff like tat...MAKE SURE U DONT LOSE THEM....took me a while to find them...and the alarm led on the dash is pretty hard to get off....i just ended up cutting the wire cause i couldnt unplug it(too much of tat form tape thing).
    ________
    Park Royal 3 Condominium
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:30 PM

After removing All the screws...

... Remove the ash tray, then the bezel around it to access the screws around the CD changer. Also, you don't have to unplug anything, just gently rotate the assembly to the driver side window area enough to access the four screws holding the stereo in behind the dash. The key is the dash removes easy if ALL the screws are removed, so if you encounter resistance check for more screws before you yank your way into a major repair
    NAVIGATOR

Thanks for the help guys, everything went well but now my amp doesn't work. It's kinda old anyway so I guess this is a good excuse to upgrade.

How much amperage do you need? I don't think you need to plan any firewall attacks unless you are volunteering to front the loud speaker stint for some of those upcomming political elections.

Anyway, use fuses!!!

Randy
    Happy Flying!

Randy

If you are running any seperate amp, you need minimum 8 ga wire. more depending on how many amps you draw. My system can trip a 100A breaker when its cranked up all the way, and thats with a 35F cap in there too to supply more peak power.

On a 12ft run, 8 ga is good for about 30A, 6 ga for 50A, 4 ga for 80A, and 2ga for anything bigger.

On the drivers side of the firewall there is a big rubber grommet that the harness passes through. Thats the best spot. You could also attack the unused clutch block off plate.

John C.

Navigator is right, you don't really need to remove the instrument fascia panel. But, that said, I find that it is easier to just go ahead and take it out completely. Gives you more room to work if you're doing a lot of work in there....and getting it out of the way also helps to prevent getting it scratched up in the process.

It isn't at all complicated or tedious to do. But...he is right you don't have to do it if you don't really want to.

.....sT
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?