Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royal Purple upgrade

Arrow Royal Purple upgrade

I've got today Royal Purple for tranny and front and rear diff. Can anybody tell me what transfer case is taking. I've looked in the manual and it does not show what transfer case is taking. I assume ATF.
    Andrey

So far replaced rear diff, fuel filter and exchanged antifreeze. on monday exchange transmission ATF and transfer case ATF.

If you look carefully

...and if your car is like mine you will see a stamp on the transfer case saying "ATF only". It holds just over four quarts, about four liters. The tranny also takes just over four quarts so you will need about 8 liters plus to do the job. Tone has an online manual telling you how to do the change.

Thumbs up Great choice!

I replaced my old fluid in the diffs with Royal Purple (once I found someone who actually stocks it and has all the different fluids they make on their shelves) and am very happy with it. I have the Royal Purple ATF for the TOD but haven't changed it yet. Probably next weekend when I do the motor oil change. I'm debating whether or not to go with Royal Purple or Mobil 1 on that too. Time to read some old posts and make up my mind...

Front diff

Note front diff uses a lighter gear oil than rear diff, but try using royal purple Synchromax in a 60/40 or 70/30 blend with Royal Purple Max Gear.

Re: Front diff

Originally posted by visconte
    Note front diff uses a lighter gear oil than rear diff, but try using royal purple Synchromax in a 60/40 or 70/30 blend with Royal Purple Max Gear.
    uuupssiiii dasy...... I bought all the same.......for front and for rear..... if I would use it what whould be the damage ? (gas milage ?)

No damage at all

...and I misstated, you can use the same or 85-140 in the rear but I would not run 85-140 in front. Synchomax is just super-cool for any sort of gearing and will run cooler and extend life of components. Sounds like BS but try it.

I think I bought 75W-90 for both. I've already replaced rear with incorrect 75W-90 and so far very quite... no noise or something...

Originally posted by Andrey
    I think I bought 75W-90 for both. I've already replaced rear with incorrect 75W-90 and so far very quite... no noise or something... so I hope both rear and front can take same oil... one way or another it exceeds manufacturers spec

After changing the front diff went and installed two new rotors/pads in the back and turened front rotors and new pads. Still trying to figure out if I shouldve bought two new rotors for the front. I am suspicious that I had faulty rotors from day one. They were very groovy and rusty. The pads still had about 50% life left on them ... my assumption that stock pad can last to 60K miles (if rotor is not eating it). To replace tranny filter is a whole different story.... I think there is a need to remove pillar support from tranny in order to replace the filter.

Visconte

Originally posted by visconte
    ...and I misstated, you can use the same or 85-140 in the rear but I would not run 85-140 in front. Synchomax is just super-cool for any sort of gearing and will run cooler and extend life of components. Sounds like BS but try it.
    Why not run it in the front? I run 75-140 in both front and rear diffs.
    Last edited by UtahVXer : 06/09/2004 at 10:18 AM

Make sure you add the LSD additive in the rear
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Alaska, it seems that Royal Purple already has some in it. I do not experience any rattle or noise ?

Exchanged Poyal Purple ATF. The difference is noticeable - very smooth gear shifting, quiter ride. Can anybody tell me if transfer case is interconnected with tranny. The shop hooked up the exchange machine to the tubes going to the radiator and flushed tranny. So I am not sure if transfer case got fresh ATF ???

Did they use 8+ quarts?

If you see 8 or more quarts on the bill then they did both, but the transfer case and tranny are separate. In a real pinch, if Royal Purple ATF is purple color like all of their other products you could drain a little from the transfer case and check the color.

With regard to an earlier question from someone about 85/140 in the front diff I tried it but did not like the front end response however was in a cold climate at the time. I believe for warm climates 85/140 is okay.

For any gearing app [like a diff] Royal Purple SynchroMax is highly recommended and you do not need to use LSD additive with it. In fact with synthetic gear oil correct me if I am wrong but you don't need LSD.

Vis