Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got an Amigo?

Anybody got an Amigo?

I've had my red Amigo since the day it came out in 1989. I waited like six months for it.

Showed up at the Isuzu dealer and plunked down $1000 over list (they only had 2 and there were dozens of people looking at them). It's a daily driver and work truck hauling landscaping suppiles and plants for my garden on the weekends. I've hauled up to 800 pounds of stone in it in the past, but I now try to keep it close to 500 (the body mounts are rusting a little).

The best vehicle I've ever owned (My vehicross hasn't been delivered yet)

Anyone else love their Amigo?

I miss my baby!! Yeah, I had one. But when I got married by other baby didn't know how to drive stick so I sold it. For years I've regreated selling it. It was the BEST!! I sold it at 175k miles and during tha time I NEVER had a problem. Replaced Oil, and three sets of tires...that's it. I'm trying to convience my wife that she would look real great in an Amigo. That'smy .02

I had a 90 Amigo with all accessories (chrome, A/C, sunroof, etc). Bought it totalled back in 93 and restored it completely. Custom raspberry red pearl paint, chrome roll bar, custom fabricated soft top, etc. Really fun vehicle and I miss it. Turned many heads, almost as many as my VX now.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I miss both of mine!

I started out with a '89 2x4 2.6 in 'cloud grey' ( I loved that color ) and I loved the Amigo so much that when I saw another '89 ( this time a 4x4 ) with some body dammage, for a good price, I bought that one too! Fixed the body and re-painted it, ( cloud grey ) and proceeded to drive it for about five years (I sold the first one ) Finally I hade to trade it in on a more usable (full sized) work truck.... I still think about that truck alot.... One of the coolest things I had for ir was the fiberglass tonneau bed cover with rear window... It was a factory option only for the first part of '89.... I sure wish I had taken it off the Amigo before I traded it in just because It's the only one I have ever seen...

Good ol' Amigo!
    "Never attribute to malice, that which
    can be explaned as stupidity".....

I've got a 1998 with 4wd, V6, 5 speed, A/C and 80k miles. Haven't had a single problem with it. Probably going to sell it now that I've got the VX.

Don

I had a 90 amigo and loved it. As a matter of fact when i bought my vx I was actually going to get an amigo, That was untill i saw the VX right next to it. Needless to say what i bought.

adam

Yup... me too...

I just sold my 2000 Amigo a few weeks ago. It was not very "baby seat" friendly, so we replaced it with a 2004 Mazda MPV.

Now, I drive the wife's "old" vehicle, a 2002 Isuzu Axiom.

Anyway, I loved the Amigo... It was truly very hard to part with. (3.5 inch lift, 265/75R16 tires, Rancho 9000's).

In 4 years of ownership, the ONLY problem I had was a burnt out tail-light...

http://www.burkettworld.com/amigo4sale.htm

Tim-

if anyone is looking...

http://www.autouplinkusa.com/FindVeh...&DealerId=6169

2001 Rodeo Sport (Amigo) in Houston, TX

Smile They compliment each other

91, 4x4, 2.6 with 3 inches of lift, 31 inch tires, Custom steel bumpers front and rear, bright red, with a soft top. Bought it in September of 02, totalled it in March of 03.

98, 4x4, 3.2, with Dana 44 (stock). Custom steel winch bumper on the front, it's burnt orange, with a soft top and built in roll bar. Bought it December 03 to replace the last one. I LOVE THIS TRUCK! It gets great milage, and with the top down it's perfect in 90 degree California.

I think the VX and the Amigo look great together in the driveway.
    Last edited by BumbleV-X : 04/17/2006 at 01:18 PM
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

Hey!!! Bumble VX

This is too wierd...

Yes...I have a Grey Amigo 89..no lift ......but have had about 5 sets of BFG 10:50 31's on it...has 236,000 miles....had it in every offroad mess I can find....a shame about yours....sorry ....It is an underpowered little runt...but it works and I have pulled many a friends, tricked out 4x4, out of stuff that the runt "boggied" right on through. I have a winch on the front which makes me a little more ball-Z-ier in the muc and snow....I guess?.....

ALSO........I have a VX......and yes you quessed it a "Proton" That my friends at my local "watering hole" refer to....check this out. as "John's Bumble Bee"........of course we both live in California(the center of the earth). I hesitate to ask what your wife or girlfriend looks like(we probably have the same taste in them too!

Geez....I just looked at more replies...there seems to be a correlation insofar as a common understanding and appreciation of classic, timeless and unique car design and the intellectual and artistic "cuth" of the good members of this website

Tim Burkett:
    How do you like the Axiom ? How does it compare to some other (similar) vehicles you have owned or driven ?
    t2p

Thumbs up

Well... Here is my quick review:

The Axiom does drive very well for a truck based SUV. It is much smoother than the Amigo we just sold. It has a fair amount of space for people and "stuff", just not a lot of space up front for "little stuff". The 6CD changer east up nearly all of the front console. Also, there is not as much headroom as I am used to (I am 6' tall with a taller torso/shorter legs) - but we do have the OEM sunroof which eats a few inches of room.

I love the looks of both the exterior and interior, and it hs been rock solid in terms of reliabilty. The resale value has plummeted since we purchased ours in 2002, but we will keep this one for a while regardless. You can find great deals on a used one now!!!

Overall, I would compare it to a vehicross in some ways... If you know what you are getting into, it is a great vehicle... if you expect a car like ride from a truck based platform, this is not for you. However, the Axiom does ride nicer than any Rodeo or Trooper that I have driven.

That being said, Axioms come with a 2 setting suspension (comfort and sport), neither of them do really well. I am going to swap out the shocks to something else as soon as the warranty expires. It made a world of difference in the Amigo.

If ya have any specific questions, ask away!!

Originally posted by rocket man
    Hey!!! Bumble VX

I hesitate to ask what your wife or girlfriend looks like(we probably have the same taste in them too!

If you look in the gallery under Swordys pictures of the VX-02 you will see ME driving it. I believe my daughter is in the passenger seat. The thought of having a "wife or girlfriend" would kinda make my husband (Swordy) upset. ;eekg;

Believe it, or not, females like to 4wheel too.

Deby

Dear Bumble V

Opp's;eekr;

Swordy bout that;Dr;

I suffer from a cronic case of, "foot in mouth disease".....

Much apologies to you both....I feel a bit embarassed

And certainly and by all means...girls(wooooomen) have every right to like 4 wheeling....Geez..I wouldn't go out with one who didn't. Its kinda chauvenistic of me to make that erroneous presumption

Yeah! I miss my Black Amigo.
    Was my first new car, first 4X4!
    Had that thing for 10 years looked like new too.
    I took it 4 wheeling the first day I got it.
    Yeah I had some problems with it but I did not care.
    I loved that 4X4
    Had to sell due to a baby girl in the family.
    Oh well!
    Knowledge is power!