Thread: Stock Shocks, "POWER" Button, and "WINTER" Button???

Stock Shocks, "POWER" Button, and "WINTER" Button???

Ok, I'm pretty lost. Are the stock shocks so expensive because of the "POWER" / "WINTER" buttons by the shifters? Are they remote adjustable or something? If so, how much performance would I lose by going with some Rancho 9000's ?
    Steve

The shocks are non adjustable. They're expensive because of the agressive valving, and external reservoir.

I had 9000's in, hated them, way too soft on full stiff. I have Bilsteins in now, and I'm fairly happy with them, but they are in no way even close to the stock shocks in response.

Even though I've been through 2 sets of stock shocks out of my own pocket(no warranty because of supercharger) I may buy a 3rd set.

John C.

Power/winter buttons have nothing to do with shocks... winter is to let the VX get going in 3d gear if you are on ice... power will change shifting points in gearbox (for better performance) also I've noticed slightly better gas milage with power on all the time. On my VX all shock were replaced but one front right which is still original. KYB is awesome but VX kills 'em fast... too intence wear because of short wheel base (yo-yo effect) and sports-like car prformance of VX calls for "intence" fun driving
    Andrey

Ok, but what should the stock shocks cost? A dealer/service center near me quoted me $560 per wheel installed!! That's insane, when I can get Rancho 9000s or Bilstein 5150's for $100 per wheel installed. I just don't care that much about the performance, as little as I'm going to be using this thing off-road. You just made up my mind for me. Thx

They're something like 540 each list.

John C.

dealer cost is $427.40 or so plus labour per OEM unit. I had mine done just 2 montha ago.

Originally posted by transio
    ...as little as I'm going to be using this thing off-road....
    The shocks have very little to do with off-road. They are stiff to maintain the street handling and high speed dirt (Baja) roads but, as I say, to each his own.
    Scott / moncha.com

Originally posted by Moncha
    The shocks have very little to do with off-road. They are stiff to maintain the street handling and high speed dirt (Baja) roads but, as I say, to each his own.
    Makes sense. But you're telling me there's not something cheaper in the aftermarket that will give the same performance?

For maybe 95%+ of the members here rancho's or bilsteins will be fine. If you think the VX ride is too stiff, you may be one of that group.

I came to the VX from a sports car, and I'm not bothered by a rough ride. Its a tradeoff.

John C.