Thread: stock CD changer compatibility

Question stock CD changer compatibility

I was thinking that I could possibly splice together a cable assembly that would connect the stock CD changer to my Pioneer head unit. Has anyone tried this, or know if it would be possible - or should I just put down the beer while contemplating mods?

I'm not sure, but PLEASE let me know if this is possible. I also have a Pioneer deck. I don't think this would possible. I have a 12 disc changer, just haven't figured out where to hide it yet! Plus with an MP3 player, it's like having an 8 - 10 disc changer on 1 Disc! Much more convenient.
    "If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up too much space...." -Perry Kloska

MP3 is the way to go...

You'll need to do more than splice a few wires to get anything other than the stock head unit to speak to and control the stock CD changer. Heck some have problems with the OEM setup without any modification

Best to buy a head unit with MP3 capability. You won't need a changer with up to 100 MP3's on a single CD, that's practically more music than hours in a day
    NAVIGATOR

My Pioneer plays MP3s, as well as WMAs. I also have XM. It's not that I need more music; I'm just greedy, and I want 6 more CD slots.

I didn't think about the control issue, though.

i've done it!!!
    here is the deal people....if you have a stereo head unit made my fujitsu???....who manufactures the stock radio and cd unit in the VX.....it will most likely work, but still needs splicing the connections....as far as the rest of the head units....it is totally hit or miss...and FROM EXPERIENCE it's mostly miss!!!! the digital reading information used by each manufacturer is different and not a standard format of information when it comes to this type of technology (not like windows on a pc etc etc....)...........good luck with it.....
    bottom line is if you are looking for a head unit?...buy the units made by ECLIPSE....THEY ARE "the most" COMPATIBLE with the stock disk changer (ALMOST ALL) BUT YET STILL NOT PERFECT TO ALL DEGREES WITH SOME MODELS.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/index.html

IF ANYONE HAS OR BUYS AN ECLIPSE MODEL UNIT....I CAN FAX YOU THE DIAGRAH FOR THE WIRING BASICS......NO GAR'S IT WILL WORK FOR YOU, BUT IT SURE MIGHT HELP

I will like to know how to add an amp to the factory speakers...

Thank you

I wait for the day that a head unit comes out with flash memory ports... now THAT will be sweet! I have more 256mb Compact Flash cards than I know what to do with and plan on buying a 256mb or 512mb SD card for my mp3 player.

Wait, I think there may actually be a Sony head unit that accepts memory sticks... I hate that proprietary crap.

Lightbulb Here is the Key...

Originally posted by tomcat837
    I will like to know how to add an amp to the factory speakers...

Thank you
    ... Replace your OEM head unit.

Just about any aftermarket head unit provides more than enough power to max out the factory speakers. Most new headunits average 25watts per channel RMS and can pump out 200 watts peak, heck most will force you to replace the factory speakers in no time flat. Get an aftermarket head unit with MP3 and/or WMA capability and you will not need the changer. Also make sure your new head unit comes with Subwoofer outputs and all you need is a class D 1 channel amp for your sub (or a 2 channel amp bridged). In any event the best way to go is get rid of the OEM equipment.

The factory speakers are basically matched to the OEM equiment. Running speakers above their RMS rating is not a good idea, but some people still do it with mixed results. 18watts MAX on the stocks and I believe only 4watts RMS.
    Last edited by Navigator : 05/27/2004 at 04:19 PM

I do have an older JVC aftermarket unit an and amplifier for to tens in a bandpass box. I just thought it would be fun to try to add more juice to the factory speakers...

Similar to what you say. I bought a Head unit that was MP3 compatable. You can put almost 90 songs on one CD. You can then arrange them by file types :Rock, Hair Banging, Slow etc. If you want a sub but don't want to get an amp...by a sub with a built in amp! Pick one up on ebay for 52.00. SOUNDS GREAT!!

tomcat837,
    all you have to do is put in a converter . it converts the stereo output to rca jacks so you can connect an amp. shawn
    1COOLVX

I got one of them converters, but I think it is a little bit more complicated than that!?!?!?

buy a amp with "high input" the quality of the sound will be slightly decreased but it will work with just tieing into the speaker wires. Alpines uaually have high inputs
    VX...Priceless...Everything else there's mastercard..

My cd player has eaten my cd's and won't spit them out or play for that matter... Has anyone had this problem I took it out now is there any other changer that I can just plub back in... or will I have to do a whole new wiring job with a new changer or am I better off just buy the origibal replacement changer.??
    Please help..
    Ed
    Ed