Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Buy a VehiCROSS

How to Buy a VehiCROSS

A short story by Steve Moseley (hehe).

Ok, so I decided I wanted to buy a VehiCROSS. I had done quite a bit of preliminary research, including blue book and black book pricing, and flipping through ads at various sites to see asking prices. Being a relatively savvy Internet shopper, I knew that the only right way to do it would be to find a forum of owners and browse the members’ ads. I found two ads here that really appealed to me, a couple of Protons. I really liked the sound of Cori’s, because it had half the mileage of the other (25k), but she had already traded it in to a dealer!

Later, I happened to check on eBay, because something good pops up there on occasion. Well, wouldn’t you know it, I found Cori’s VX there! So I wrote her an email asking for details about it: history, problems, accidents, etc. She gave me very detailed information and was extremely helpful. The car was perfect. I decided I had to have it. I called the dealer and made an offer. He countered and we agreed on $15,700. What a bargain! He changed the buy-it-now price on the auction, and I closed it. A 2 minute transaction ended my 2 month search for a new vehicle. But now I had a new and interesting dilemma: how to get my new VX from the Chicago suburbs to Miami?! And so my adventure began.

I bought the VX last week. My original intention was to have it shipped down here, but quotes were in the range of $800 - $1000, and I couldn’t justify that. I wound up buying a round-trip plane ticket for $140 – a much better option, because this way I could actually see the car before handing over my money, with a back-out option, just in case it was a scam. I woke up Saturday morning at 4:30 AM EST, and my girlfriend dropped me off at the airport. I slept for half of the 3 hour flight. They were playing some dull movie that didn’t interest me at all. For the other hour and a half, I flipped through the Sky Mall and chatted with the woman next to me. She was nice looking, with a Caribbean accent, wearing a business suit. She was going to some convention. Yawn, I want my VehiCROSS! Finally, we landed. The pilot said that the weather was sunny and 75 degrees. Oops… almost forgot it gets cold up here! I didn’t bother to bring anything warm!

So I got off the plane and went looking for a cab to take me to the dealership. Dan the salesman told me it’s about a 20 minute ride, and wouldn’t cost too much. Ok, so I found a cab. A brown one. Who would paint a car brown? How ugly. The driver was obviously new to the USA, from India or thereabouts. I could barely understand him, but from what I managed to make out, Chicago has a union on its cabs or something, and depending on which company you work for, you’re only allowed to take people to certain places! How messed up. Also, they can’t take a fare without an appointment. As it turns out, though, his fare’s destination was near mine, and they were a nice couple, so they split the cab with me. They were going to Northwestern University, where their son is a freshman theater major. We talked about college, technology, artificial intelligence, and other BS. They were nice people, but whatever. Get out of my cab. I want my VX!

The cab driver didn’t know where to go from where we were. We stopped and asked another cab for directions. Then we called the dealership and asked for directions. Then we just drove around (all while the clock was ticking) and looked for the place. We asked random people on the street which way to go for Central Ave., and Frontage Rd. and what not, finally making our way there. Mohammed, the cab driver, is from Sri Lanka. He came to the USA 4 years ago hoping to save up enough money to go back there and live like a king for the rest of his life. I hope he realizes his goals and doesn’t fall into the consumer nightmare that the USA is to so many foreigners who come here with similar hopes. We talked about politics and world economy, and I gave him my advice. We finally arrived at the dealership with $63.50 showing on the meter. He said my fare was a fixed price of $23. I gave him $40. Enough money to live like a king for a 2 weeks in Sri Lanka.

Dan the salesman met me at the front desk with a big smile. He’s shorter than I expected, and has red hair. He’s a really nice guy. We look at the car. Start it. There are a couple chips in the paint and a ding in the door. An aftermarket back-up alert system, and some screws through the cladding. All very minor stuff that I could fix myself. This car is pristine. I signed the paperwork and handed over the cashier’s check. Dan the salesman then got everything signed and gave me the title, temporary registration, etc. in an envelope. With that, I jumped in and took off. It’s now 1 PM (EST), and I have a long drive ahead of me!

I decided to stop in downtown Chicago on my way home to check out the architecture and get some lunch. I was going to get something local, but wound up going to the McDonald’s smack in the middle of downtown. On my way in, some locals were complaining about the heat: “It’s like freakin’ Miami!” I laughed to myself. This is a really cool Mickey D’s. If you’re ever in Chicago, you have to check it out. They have an old restored Corvette (I think a ’62) and old jukebox, and such a variety of people go to eat there. There are about 8-10 cashiers taking orders. It’s really big. I would have enjoyed eating inside, but I decided it would be cooler to walk around outside through Chicago and eat. I got an hour of free parking. Might as well use it! As soon as I got outside, I got hit up by a homeless guy for money. ‘What the hell?’ I thought. I was feeling really good, so I gave him a buck. Within 60 seconds, another homeless guy yelled out to me from across the street, “Slow down on them fries!” He wound up talking me out of them. Walking away with my chicken sandwich and a soda, I sensed a swarm of homeless guys recognizing a prime target in their sites. A third one approached me asking for money within another 60 seconds, and I skinned out and decided to eat in my car!

Chicago is a beautiful city. It’s got incredible new architecture mixed with older structures, giving it a really unique feeling. The corrosive rail surrounding the city, tying it together in a sense, is a constant reminder of the age of the city. Anyhow, I would have loved to stay in Chicago longer, but I really had to get going. It was not 2 PM EST, and I had a long haul ahead. So I jumped on 1-94 and headed east to Indiana.

There’s not much to say about Indiana. It’s boring: a long, unwavering ride through cornfields with an occasional sighting of a barn. Whoop dee doo. Well lucky for me, I drove through it during the storm of the century! Granted, the century is only 4 years old, but whatever! The rain was coming down in a wall of water. You couldn’t see the car ahead of you. The wind was like a sumo wrestler pounding your car incessantly. What a blast! When the rain let up, I could see the winds blowing clouds of dirt from the cornfields over the highway. I could hear the dirt pelting the side of my car. I was worried about the paint. So I pulled to the left of an 18-wheeler to protect me. Not smart. The 60 mph gusts were pushing it into my lane. I passed him and kept to the right. Up ahead, traffic had slowed to a halt, and you could make out a state trooper’s lights flashing. In the median, an 18-wheeler had been blown over by the gusts, and lay on its side, like a beached whale. The driver looked uninjured despite the fact that the cab was demolished. Damn, I should have brought my camera!

I skipped past Indianapolis. Boring states have boring cities. I shot down toward the next point on my “connect the dots” trip – Louisville. Kentucky is a really cool state to drive through. There are many mountains, and where the roads have been blasted out, you can see the staggered rock walls ascend up vertically to either side of you. It conveys the same sense as Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture. You have to see it to know what I mean. There are also a lot of mountain roads with varying slope and great turns. I’d love to drive a Lotus Elise through there!

Louisville is entered by crossing a river over an old steel bridge. All big old towns have a river or lake or ocean near them. The bridges offer a sense of the city’s personality. Louisville looks like any other metropolis, but its bridge gives it a unique feeling. The vertical parabolic walls that support it echo the parabolic walls of stone flanking the mountain roads. Welcome to Louisville! I didn’t stop here, because I was running behind, but Kentucky in general looks like a great state to visit. I will definitely have to come back some time for a visit.
    Steve

Part 2:

On the way from Louisville, I saw signs for Bowling Green. Wait a minute, that sounds familiar. Then I see the sign for the Corvette Museum. Ok, I’m getting off here. I got there just before closing, but I had a chance to get a quick glance inside. It’s gigantic! Many, many Corvettes inside. I will have to go back. As I was leaving, I could see all the Vette owners parking their little Vettes at nearby hotels. Yuppies dragging their wives along to visit at a whole town dedicated to America’s sports car, presumably on a “vacation”. I stopped at Art’s Corvettes across the street and talked to Art about C5 prices. He thinks it’s a great time to get a C5 Z06. We’ll see.

Leaving Bowling Green, I passed through Nashville. The sun was setting behind me as I approached the city. The reflection off of the mirrored façades of the buildings was beautiful. Then I caught a glimpse of the BellSouth building. I hate BellSouth. So I kept going. Only 130 miles to Chatanooga! I can do it! A couple hours later, I was in Chatanooga, and decided to get some down-home cooking for dinner.

I had passed about 100 WAFFLE HOUSE and Cracker Barrel signs to this point. I figured I oughta give one of ‘em a chance. I picked the Cracker Barrel, because of sentiment. When I was a kid, my family used to take road trips up to Detroit to visit family. My brother and I loved stopping at Cracker Barrels, because they had little store to the side, where we could get old-fashioned candy from the basket. It was just a different experience for a kid from the big city! Well, 20+ years later, I understand the corporate machine behind the down-home façade. Big Barrel Business is destroying the real small town diners that make The South what it is. Sure this looks like a down-south cottage, but the rocking chairs on the porch here are for sale. Hell, the price tags are still dangling from them! But homogeny is a known undesirable side-effect of capitalism, and it didn’t piss me off too much that the environment was contrived. It still felt real. My waiter’s southern accent was real, and my catfish was good. I gave him a big tip and left.

I wanted to make it to Atlanta on the first leg of my journey. I was stopping to see a friend in Columbus, GA, on Sunday, so that would put me in a good position to make it home at a decent hour. I arrived in Atlanta at about 1 AM. I got off at the Georgia Tech exit, figuring I’d look around to see what kind of college parties were going on. I cruised through Peach Tree Drive. It looked like that’s the place to show off your ride, and I figured I’d watch the people drool over the VX. After one block, I realized that I was the only old white guy in site. I glanced over at a kid next to me, and he gave me the “wassup, dawg?” like I was starting something with him. I have no clue how things are in Atlanta, but I imagine it’s pretty racially divided, since it’s in the South. So I turned off Peach Tree and cruised around downtown for a little while, finally heading back towards the highway, where a homeless man came and cleaned my windshield for me. I’m sure he never saw a car with that many bugs on its windshield. This guy earned my money. He asked, “Did I do good?!” I smiled and said, “Yep. I can see now!”

About 20 or 30 miles south of Atlanta, I picked a random exit and got off. I parked at the King’s Economy Inn and got a room for $40. Then I walked to the local tavern and ordered a beer, delivered by a bartender who couldn’t stop calling me sweetie. Everyone obviously knew everyone there. It was last call. I finished my beer and left. Fresh night-time air on my walk back to my car. A lot of bugs, but fresh air! I slept like a rock at King’s. The beds were hard, but I was dead tired after 22 hours of travel. I woke up at about 9 AM, took a shower, put on some fresh duds, and left. I stopped by the front office to drop off my key, and saw that they had complimentary coffee and pastries for their guests. Very nice for a $40 room! I got a cup of coffee. They were out of creamer. Damn! The receptionist told me I could stop by the EconoLodge and ask them for some. They were owned by the same guy, after all. I just drank it black. I have a long trip ahead of me!

So back on I-75 south, I called Chris in Columbus. “No, no, you were supposed to take I-85 at Atlanta.” Oops! So I’m about 40 miles out of the way, now. So I decided to cut across on US 16 to get to I-85. Well, trying to make up time and not seeing a posted speed limit, I picked up the pace a bit. I got stopped by some undercover cop in a one-horse town called Frankfurterville or something. He was nice, but he wrote me a ticket anyway. 73 in a 55. Ouch! I asked him how far to I-85. He said “you shoulda taken that from Atlanta!” like I’m a dumb *** for not realizing it. LOL. I took my ticket and left.

Got to Columbus finally, and met Chris at his place. He lives in a suburb of Columbus that is tucked neatly inside a park with beautiful scenery. I wish they had places like this in Miami. In my rush down, I forgot to pick them up a gift, so I stopped at a local drug store and got a candle. It was that or a card. I felt like an idiot for not finding something more creative, but chances are whatever I got would be off-target, anyway, and it’s the thought that counts. Besides, his wife will like it. Women love candles. His wife was at church. We went and got lunch at Applebees, and talked about cars for a couple hours. He said the VehiCROSS looks cool, but he had never seen one before. After we ate, I dropped him off at home again and took off. I had an 80-mile trek to get back on route to Miami, and it was already afternoon. Things were looking bleak!

Through 80 miles of small Georgia towns, I drove. I saw plenty of signs for “Peaches” and “Pecans”. I thought about stopping to pick some up for my girlfriend, but the first one was completely barren. It was Sunday, after all. Anyhow, I was running late. On, forward! South Georgia fields have an interesting look to them. I’m not sure what they were farming here. I guess pecans. They have these huge curved space-frame contraptions that look like the frame of an Ariel Atom. I assume that they’re used to speed the farming process, but I’m not interested enough to figure out what they are or how they work. The contrast between space-age technology and old-school farming is an interesting sight, though. I finally hit I-75 and turned south toward Florida. My long voyage was almost over. Well, sorta.

I still had to travel 275 more miles on I-75, then another 275 miles on the Florida Turpike. Then I’d be home. 550 miles doesn’t seem like much. It goes by pretty quickly at 90 mph, but my butt was hurting from 2 days of driving, and it was already about 4:30 PM. This was by far the least interesting part of my trip. There were some college kids swerving through traffic at 100 mph, apparently unaware of the “pass on the left” rule. They almost hit me. The landscape was boring. Grass. Pine trees. Grass. The drive to Miami is a bleak empty boring ride. Thank god for the CD changer. You can tell how close you are to South Florida by how badly people drive. Most don’t know the rules. Those that do are so frustrated by those that don’t that they go out of their way to piss them off. When it’s one step short of a demolition derby, you’re in Miami.

I got home and walked up to my place. My cat was there to greet me. He meowed and plowed his face into me. I opened the door and called my girlfriend. She ran to me and gave me a hug and a kiss. We went outside looked at the VX. I was smiling. She was happy because I was happy. I could tell she didn’t like it. Oh well! It was 10:15 PM. I went inside and crashed on top of the bed, face down. She came in and gave me a massage. My back was in knots. Afterwards, I took a hot shower, dried off, and climbed into bed, falling asleep instantly.

That’s it! Thanks for reading! Sorry I don’t have any pics, but I really didn’t want to turn this into a vacation. This was a purposeful trip. I must admit that it was fun, though. The 1600 mile drive down from Chicago to Miami was a great experience. It really bonded me with my VX, too. In retrospect, it would have been great to have turned this into a pictorial story, but there’s no sense in regretting what you can’t change!

Steve

Wink Good to hear!

I just came on to check if you had posted, because as I passed the dealership on my way to work with my dad, he said "Oh look your car is gone!" We could see it right from the highway as we drove to the city where I work for him. I was just at the dealership last week and it was still there waiting for you to take it home! I'm glad you got the VX and took it home to Miami. It had a good life here in Illinois, but I can tell your really gonna enjoy it in Miami! Take care, and just know a piece of me is always in that car...my first car!
    Cori

Re: Good to hear!

Originally posted by CoriVX
    a piece of me is always in that car
    Tell me where, and I'll ship it back! Oh, wait, I know, you mean the back-up alert thingy? That's the first thing coming out, you know! Seriously, though, thanks for everything! I'll post regularly about the VX here, so come back and check up on it!

hehe

Sorry, I don't want the back up sensors either! If it were up to me they wouldn't have been in there! My dad felt the need to put em in when I first got it, safety issue I guess...more of an annoyance though. The woman that speaks is so loud and annoying...3 ft...2 ft...CRASH (dont worry I never hit anything for her to say crash...we were playing with it though and discovered that if u actually touch it when in reverse she actually says CRASH! Like thanks for telling me I just hit something haha) Anyway I'll just keep up checking to see what u've done to my car, and make sure you're treating it right! ...have fun!!!

Great story... My mom just sold her VX in Chicago and someone from California picked it up. WAY! Longer ride than yours. I still wish I had a Proton.

P.S. Glad to hear that someone atleast recognises the rule of "...apparently unaware of the “pass on the left” rule. But its sometimes easier to just pass them @ 90mph when you know they are not looking and they are on the cell phone doing the speed limit. CONGRATS!

Hey Steve,

That was one of the best VX narratives I've every read! I too have visited many of the places you did in your travels, and share your opinions on most of them.

Kentucky in particular is really a beautiful, little noticed state. I grew up between Nashville and Bowling Green (Clarksville, actually, right on the TN-KY border) so those were my old stomping grounds (raised a lot of hell on those backroads in my 69 SS Nova!).

I also managed to get a ticket in south GA (outside of Adel), doing 87 in a 65 last weekend travelling from JoeBlack's VX/Rallycross meet in Ft Meade, FL). $175 ouch bucks (speed trap - they had lazer radar pointed right where the speed limit changes from 70 to 65 MPH).

BTW, in Georgia you can pass either to the left of right provided the insterstate has more than 2 lanes. I wish I knew you were coming through Atlanta - could have arranged for a more pleasant experience with some fellow VX owners.

Good Luck with your VX and welcome to the family. And don't worry, your GF's annoyance will become reluctant acceptance!

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

lol was tat considered short?
    ________
    ELECTRIC CIGARETTES
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 03:16 PM

Talking

I did something simillar, 3 weeks looking, found an 01 proton 37,000 miler VX in NJ, agreed a price of $15,250 bought a 1 way ticket to Philladelphia (i'm in minneapolis)
    picked the car up at 7pm thursday night, hooked up the radar detector and GPS and i was off! drove a few hours, got a room, woke up the next morning and drove to chicago (same deal, i just had to stop there and take a look around, what a city!! it was like driving onto a movie set) continued on driving all the way to minneapolis 1200 mile drive alltogether, loved every minute of it, it was GREAT!!!! that was about 6 weeks ago now, i'm still in love with the VX and keep reminiscing about the road trip, i want to do it again and again!!!

I almost want to ship my VX somewhere so i can fly out and do it again, I cant think of a better way to get a new car.

Pete

Interesting article

Thanks for an interesting article! Surprised that anyone would put in a backup alert, going for the original camera is much better and in keeping with the car. One other thing: it's risky to take a car straight out from a purchase without changing the fluids first or doing whatever neglected maintenance needs to be done, tire rotation/balancing or brakes might be an example.

When I purchased my car it had new tires but they had been statically balanced [not dynamically] and they all needed to be redone - this could have been a major hassle on a long trip. More seriously, the dealer had prep 'ed my car and overfilled the oil by a whopping one quart, and the diff fluids and transfer case fluid were in terrible shape and badly in need of changing, and the transfer fluid was almost a quart low. It would not have been a good idea to drive a car in that shape on a 1700 mile journey compared to the $800 it would cost for DAS to ship it in an enclosed carrier, also keeping the 2000 miles or so off the clock. By the time I work in a few days off work and off the payroll a long-distance pickup is not feasible.

On the other hand you got to view the car first which is worth quite a bit. If there was a way to view the car and ensure it was prepped properly that would be the ideal world. It all worked out for you which is great, but I believe this viewing/prepping/shipping thing is the greatest dilemma facing anyone who wants to buy a rare or specialised car like the VX.

Finally just want to say that I've had my car for about three months now and really love it! The car has the perfect feel and the KYB Monomax shocks really worked out well. The car handles beautifully and is perfectly stable, and while not as fast as the Maserati 228 I had it can certainly blow off the SUV moms and NASCAR dads competition 99% of the time.

The only negative I can find about the car is the A/c which really seems to load up the engine, there is a big difference in perfromance [as in less] when the A/c is on. I was wondering if any other VX'rs have noticed something like that? Thanks again, Vis

Re: How to Buy a VehiCROSS

Originally posted by transio
    It conveys the same sense as Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture. You have to see it to know what I mean.
    Love the story... it's always nice to see someone my age writing so descriptively.

By the way. If you are a Frank Lloyd Wright fan (as I am), you totally missed the largest display of his work in Oak Park (Chicago area). I use to fly to Chicago (Lombard) for work and visited Oak Park many times... DEFINITELY something to see if you like his work! I missed the Guggenheim in NY last time I was there, but I've been to Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ, Fallingwater in PA, driven past his only house in the Dallas area, and been to one moved up to Oregon at one point. One of the greatest American architects of all time.

Anyway, others may disagree, but I have to say Indiana is somewhat boring as well. I was born in Indianapolis and lived in Clarksville, just across the bridge from Louisville, KY. I didn't live in IN very long but I have been back... BO-RING! I guess I just haven't had much time to see the best parts.

Enjoy the VX... invest in the SC if you get a chance. The VX should have been made with this extra power!

Talking Whoa Now...

... That almost qualifies as a novel for crying out loud Great job, your story was so vivid it was like watching your experience unfold on HDTV. Congrats on your purchase
    Last edited by Navigator : 05/26/2004 at 10:33 AM
    NAVIGATOR

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry for the length of the thing, but ya know... had I a camera with me, it could have been summed up in about 15-20 pics. A picture is worth 1000 words, after all, right? Anyhow, I tried not to get into too much detail.

transio:
    Great story. I'm jealous. I considered a similar journey - but backed away from it.
    D4U:
    I'm also a huge FLW fan.
    In addition to Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob (the former Hagan residence) - designed by Wright - nis also in Western PA. Kentuck Knob is probably only 10 miles away from Fallingwater.
    Someday, I hope to travel and tour many of the Wright designed structures. I purchased a huge book that contains all of the built Wright designed structures - written by Storer. I recommend it highly.
    I saw a pic of Johnny Apollo's VX in what appears to be a 'carport' .......... could it be that JA lives in a Wright designed ..... or influenced ...... structure ?
    Vis: I also notice the significant drain/drag the AC has on the Isuzu 3.5. More than I would have suspected given the 3.5 V6. Definitely much more of an effect than (compared to) the SOHC 4.0 Ford I have been driving for the past few years.

OT: My house

I live in the house that a California architect (who also did the principle design work for about 1/3rd of the houses in my neighborhood) drew up for his wife (they transplanted to Atlanta until most of the construction was done for several developments) in 1964. It is unique in my neighborhood and is probably more mid-century modern in layout and design rather that FLW influenced. It appears more like a modified Eichler construction (rather than square with an extended foyer, the building is an elongated rectangle).

Outside material is Cherokee Marble block (actually a granite due to the mica content - "Cherokee Marble" is the local name for the stone). I believe the stone was quarried in North Georgia. Ceilings are tongue-and-groove 2x6 pine and creates the roof structure with 13-ft ceiling in the living/dining rooms (the peak of the house). The house has an open floor-plan with 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths and a full basement. The carport will hold 3 full-size cars or trucks (even a H2 would fit in there).

The fixtures and lighting are typical of the 60's era, with an original George Nelson globe light in the hall, and unusual Asian motifs throughout the house. The entire front length is faced with clear-story windows.

Here are some pics of the house prior to our purchase (still furnished with most of the previous owner's belongings) if anyone is interested:

http://wildtoys.com/house/

I was actually able to retain some of the furnishings, including an original Howard Millar "Atomic" clock.

-- Best, John