Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moab Wrap Up / Pics

Moab Wrap Up / Pics

Another fantastic time in the Canyonlands! Great to see some old friends and a couple of new ones! Date for 2005 is the 3rd week in May - mark your calendar so work won’t get in the way. If you have links to pics or comments, please post in this thread. Uploading a few hundred right now and will post shutterfly links shortly.

Lisa and I made it home in under 16hrs even with my wrong turn in Farmington! Renting the ATVs was a serious blast and I strongly recommend it next time you are out there - we plan on going in a few days earlier next year to fit more ATV trails in.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBN2zdu3ZM2T8 - Tip Toe Thru Hell & 7 Mile Rim

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBN2zdu3ZM2UC
    VX only run Dome Plateau - includes pics from Scott and Kirk
    Last edited by Tone : 05/16/2004 at 08:23 PM

Getting to old for this. Just got back from Moab, Great time except for breaking a CV joint while driving down main street, would you believe it? Changed it out & ran the trails without any problems.

Congrats in order for Jay (spotter) & Moncha (blindfolded driver) in winning the obstacle course event going away.

Also, Moncha won the best looking rig award( Deservedly so) as I watched him work his toothbrush over the engine compartment for hours etc.

Moncha also ran Hells Revenge down & back up STOCK. Really good driving.

The VXs for some reason drew a tremendous amount of attention & questions this year. I had one guy follow me into the motel parking lot & just pepper me with questions. This is the VXs 4 th year at Moab but their appeal is just awesome.

Bob F
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

I'm back!!

I had a great time!!! The event was smaller by half of last years with approximately 57 rigs registered. This did lend to a closer socialization of members folk though, allowing everyone to learn more about each other.

Yep! Congratulations to Jay Dunford for his wonderful and precise spotting that allowed him to guide me blindfolded (Yes blindfolded!) through a twisty course lined with traffic cones. He took the trophy with only 9 points to boot! (The lower the points the better)

Through all of the poking and teasing, I did win the prize (A car wash kit!) for the prettiest truck. Poor Bob, he did suffer so by watching me scrub my little VX .

Larry almost got the trophy for the best stuck as he seemed to have a rough day or two.

By intently watching Bob I was able to pick a line down the most challenging obstacle I've ever attempted with great success!! Although, it only qualifies as 1/2 of The Hell's Gate.. With different tires, I'll do the whole thing next year. But hey, going stock, 1/2 is better than nothing!! Thanks Bob!!!

I even had a visit from a future owner from Telluride, CO. just so he could see a VX up close! Whew! Thank goodness Moncha was clean!

Hopefully, we'll be able to get a bigger contingency next year as it is very impressive to see 20+ VX's running down Moab's main street!

I know there's lots of trail stories from all that attended so, please post!

Here's a link to the EVENT GALLERY for those that would like to upload there. I'll be adding mine in the next days.
    Last edited by Moncha : 05/16/2004 at 08:36 PM
    Scott / moncha.com

Tone, thanks a lot for wonderfull pictures. I wish I can do Moab one day... too far away from Boston We need to come up with North-East Challenge
    Andrey

Thumbs up thanks!

Thanks for getting pics up so fast. Glad everyone had a fun time, and by the way... what was the final count of VXers? Who all ended up showing? See you next year!!!

By the way... this is my fav!

Oh, and I found this on one of Sweater's galleries on the Wire... Bob, you ROCK! I don't recall this part of TipToe Through Hell, but it looks knarly!

One last thing... I know you just got back from Moab Scott, but why won't these images show?
    Last edited by nocturnalVX : 05/17/2004 at 02:27 AM
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

That pic of Tip Toe through Hell looks crazy. If someone who drove that wants to tell the story of how it felt and how you accomplished it, tha twould be terrific. I was just thinking that what if you coudln't make it, like the engine wasn't able to do it or your tires or something, how the hell do you get back down? Did you have a winch on the front that connected somewhere up top so you didn't role? thats amazing footage!
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

Great pics man

Still kicking myself for not seeing the event that made it unable for me to attend.
    Hopefully next year i will be able to.

Side note: did meet a fellow VX'er up in cripple creek, co fri night.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Another great time in Moab, depressing to be back home in the regular grind! Was nice to get to know more about each other, especially Jay!

The ATVs were the most fun I had, so we all need to do that next year!

Too bad Tone and I missed the festivities saturday! Hopefully next year will be a longer vacation for us, and a little more relaxing.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAOWbdszauWbFeA

Hope this link works! I am not the photographer thats for sure!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Originally posted by NC_VX
    That pic of Tip Toe through Hell looks crazy. If someone who drove that wants to tell the story of how it felt and how you accomplished it, tha twould be terrific. I was just thinking that what if you coudln't make it, like the engine wasn't able to do it or your tires or something, how the hell do you get back down? Did you have a winch on the front that connected somewhere up top so you didn't role? thats amazing footage!
    Hells Revenge
    No winch & no strap.
    Engine more than capable of making it.
    Thinking if you don't make it up then you roll down or upside down as others have.

Felt a little tippy but no fear, think both front wheels were off the ground at on point. Only real problem was too many directions from too many spotters. Settled on one spotter and drove right up.
    Dragon Bob

Originally posted by NC_VX
    That pic of Tip Toe through Hell looks crazy. ...
    The tip toe is actually the easy way through Hells Revenge. Bob, me and a few others decided to go more on the revenge side and do Hells Gate. It's a "U" shaped obstacle that you go down on one side and up the other.

Here's Bob going down the gate entrance.

Here's me coming back up the gate's entrance as with street tires and being bone stock (no lift) the other side as shown in Gill's post was a little too challenging.

The two dimensional photos give absolutely no guage as to the extent of the steepness of either of the sides of the gate. There were some jeepers that went down just before we did and they were very impressed that a stock VX could do even what I did. Plus the VX looks so good doing it!! I made it through all trails this year without any amage save for the "Cheese Grater" skid plate that I have.

Gill,please post links to where you found the other pics so no one has to search for them. I also fixed the link problem..

Here is the link to the pics at the 4x4wire
    Looks like you guys had a blast. I may be able to go next year!!!!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

GOod Job Green Dragon and the rest of the gang, can't wait to give it a trie!!!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Bob, you're my hero!
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

BTW,

Congrats Bob for successfully navigating Hells Gate, this has always been a questionable obstacle on the Hells Revenge trail, however it has been officially BLM included as a part of the trail including Escalator (April 04). (Hells gate is out near the overlook on Hells Revenge.)

After the run, I talked with Randii who led it, and essentially if you did the Narrows Canyon at the end and Tip Over Challenge without the bypasses, you did the official Hells Revenge trail. I know Randii did lead a bunch through the whole trail that felt up to it, and kudos to those that tried Hells Gate (Moncha, 1/2 is better than none).

I look forward to seeing more of you next year, and definitely welcome yall for Colorado 'Zu 6 (second weekend of August in Ouray/Silverton/Durango, CO).

Take care,
    Keith
    Moab 'Zu Zoo VII Trailmaster

Green Dragon rocking in only the way he can! (from the 4x4wire)