View Poll Results: If proven not too costly, would you make your VX convertible?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!

50 25.25%
  • Hmm, that's an idea.

19 9.60%
  • It depends on how the first one comes out.

28 14.14%
  • Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

101 51.01%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate Mod!

Lightbulb The ultimate Mod!

I have been thinking about the ultimate mod. Making my VX convertible... What do you guys think? Could there be complications? Could it be done? Let me know?

This is one of those 'If you have to ask' things.

Heres a couple of obsticles:

The roof supports the windshield, the A pillar will have to be redesigned. Otherwise it might flyswat the driver from wind force.

The door frames the window, and this guides the glass. door will need redesigned window mechanism.

folding mechinism, actuators, and storage will need fabricating.

Entire chassis will need reinforcing because of loss of stiffness.

Liability concerns if someone ever gets hurt as passenger.

Having assisted on projects like this, I can honestly say its thousands of man hours. Not impossible, but certainly an an advanced project.

John C.

A better option might be targa or T-tops. Still lot of work.

When it comes to mods like this, you have to address two factors:
    1. Functionality - does the modification make sense for the vehicle, and
    2. Style - will the change complement the style of the vehicle or just make it look awkward?

In my honest opinion, a convertible VX would look awful. Functionally, this vehicle was not designed to be a convertible. You will destroy the rigidity of the chassis and make it unsuitable for offroading. Stylistically, you will destroy the lines that make the VX so beautiful. This car will never look good topless. T-tops or gullwing doors would be a more feasible modification for the VX.

Do yourself a favor, though, and take the money you were thinking about spending for a convertible mod and put it towards buying a car that is MADE to be topless, like an S2000, Miata, or Z3. All can be had at a decent price. I'm personally looking to get a Lotus Elise in about 6-8 months. These cars are all made to be convertibles, or "roadsters". They are drivers' cars. They corner well and connect you to the road. Your VX is not made for that kind of driving. You can cut the top off, stiffen the suspension, and drop it 6", lose 500 pounds and put in racing seats, and you'll just have an ugly frankenstein VX that still isn't an effective roadster. Bottom line is make your car do what it's made to do. If you want it to do something else, consider another car!
    Steve

I am not going to just chop it off! and what about the VX02? it is topless, isn't it? I would like to really and carefully plan this to make it look good. If I go through with it that is.

Originally posted by tomcat837
    what about the VX02? it is topless, isn't it?
    Case in point. It looks awkward and "forced", as we say in the design profession. But hey, if you're absolutely certain that you'll love the way it looks and that you don't care about the concessions you'll have to make re: performance, then my opinion should really not matter. Taste is a completely subjective thing.

i'll SAY, subjective!

the VXo2 is bad *** hell. sorry, it is. that's just my subjective opinion as a designer though. i don't know many VXers who wouldn't love to get their hands on it. (especially anita!) with that said, this mod is not worth the money and time and loss of integrity (the car's integrity) that you will incur. put a nice sunroof in it and then trick it out with every other mod you would like, because that's how much you would spend to make the VX topless.

good luck with whatever you choose!
    technocoy
    macintosh man

I was never a fan of the VX02, but there are some fresher ideas on how to do it and make it look a bit more appealing. I did a PhotoChop of an idea that appealed to me, with t-tops and a removable rear top.

I think they key is, if you have the money, start doing some renders to see what looks right for you, then check for stability where your cuts will take place (security is still key #1, unless it's just a show car), then find the shop to do it and write them a fat check.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

To remove the whole section (for a Targa effect) would probably require a windshield change - the T-top would be easier to do and require less modification due to stress from an unsupported windshield. The removable rear shouldn't be difficult, however you would have to deal with the rear tire hump or change the tailgate completely.

I'd love to see a real working convertible - if you can overcome the design obstacle I'd say GO FOR IT!

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thumbs up

I like WormGod concept. Still lot of work, I am sticking to my V8 conversion in stead.

V8 with the gas prices nowadays??? I think not!

Originally posted by transio
    Case in point. It looks awkward and "forced", as we say in the design profession. But hey, if you're absolutely certain that you'll love the way it looks and that you don't care about the concessions you'll have to make re: performance, then my opinion should really not matter. Taste is a completely subjective thing.
    I actually agree with this. The beltline is much too high for a convertible. Like sitting in a bucket.

The VXO2 looks like a truck with the top chopped off, not a truck designed to be a roadster. The Chevy SSR has a similar problem. The beltline is just too high.

V8 with the gas prices nowadays??? I think not!
    Better gas mileage than keeping the V6...

-Daver
    -Daver

V8 with the gas prices nowadays???
    If one is willing to fork up the dollars required for a V8 conversion, I doubt gas prices are much of a concern

VX convertible

We've seen it with the top down. What does it look like with the top up? Could make all the difference.
    Hotwheels™ toy come to life.
    www.doubleadesign.com

If one is willing to fork up the dollars required for a V8 conversion, I doubt gas prices are much of a concern
    I would not be surprised to see better fuel millage with V8 than with V6. Planned gear ratio is under 3.6 (3.7 1917rpm@62mph).

VX922