Thread: rear door popper, questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

rear door popper, questions

Getting ready to install the rear door popper; and have a couple of questions for those who have already done it. Apparently from what I have read in some threads from last year, if you wire it so that the popper is activated by the second press of the keyless remote, (the first press unlocking BOTH side doors) then the unlock switch in either door will not only unlock both side doors but also open the rear hatch, right? This means that if you want to unlock one or both side doors without opening the rear you have to manually pull up on the lock stem(s). With this type of setup is there then any reason to install the dash switch? I guess you could simply use the unlock power switch in either door to open the hatch. Any comments, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read "if you wire it so that the popper is activated by pressing the second button of the keyless remote." I took that to mean the "option" button on the remote, not pressing the primary "lock/unlock" twice (which would create the scenerio you mentioned).

I'll be receiving my hitch and door popper from Tone on Friday and probably attempting to install them weekend. I'm also interested in clarification regarding this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I bought the popper kit from Tone ages ago. I wasn't aware that we could use that worthless "option" button for anything except a factory option that ran a garage-door opener...

VehiCrazy, do you have yours wired to open with any combination of presses on the remote. If so, how do you have it setup?

Re: rear door popper, questions

Originally posted by UtahVXer
    Getting ready to install the rear door popper; and have a couple of questions for those who have already done it. Apparently from what I have read in some threads from last year, if you wire it so that the popper is activated by the second press of the keyless remote, (the first press unlocking BOTH side doors) then the unlock switch in either door will not only unlock both side doors but also open the rear hatch, right? This means that if you want to unlock one or both side doors without opening the rear you have to manually pull up on the lock stem(s). With this type of setup is there then any reason to install the dash switch? I guess you could simply use the unlock power switch in either door to open the hatch. Any comments, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    If you do a search you should find the proper wiring diagram to get the popper to open on the second press of the unlock button on the remote (it WILL NOT work with the option button). If you can't find it, let me know and I'll find my diagram at home and e-mail you. The door lock switches will open the rear hatch IF the car is not running, if the car is running they will not open the hatch - that's when you need the popper switch. At first, I thought I would not like this, but actually it works out pretty well and you don't have to worry about driving down the street and accidentally pressing the door lock switches - they won't open the hatch.

I am getting ready to do the install as well, if you find the link to the diagram will you post, I am goign to look as well and will do the same if I find it!
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

Popper Diagram - http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...&threadid=2069
    Alarm Diagram - http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/VehicrossAlarmDiag.jpg

I have the same setup as RaqueThomas, basically you do need the switch if you have the keys in the ignition and the alarm isn't set and you want to open the rear hatch from the inside.

Here is basically how it works
    1. Alarm is set, click the unlock/lock button 1 time and both driver and passenger doors unlock. Click it a 2nd time and the rear hatch will pop

2. Keys are in ignition use switch to pop hatch

3. Keys not in ignition use door unlock to pop hatch

I'm in the habit of locking my doors whenever I get in my truck. So, somtimes I'll forget to unlock them before I shut my engine off. Then When I use the unlock button on the door the rear pops. But, other then that it works really well. I find that I rarly use #2 because I almost never need in the back when my truck is running.
    Last edited by omegavx : 04/28/2004 at 10:43 AM

The Option button connects to a remote module that you hook into a garage door opener switch wire. You could probably use the module inline with the switch wire for the rear door solenoid for the same effect.

I wired the rear door solenoid into my new CompuSTAR alarm (into the 3rd button - depress for 2 seconds). That is one sweet alarm with plenty of leads for additional accessories. Plus the auto-start feature and 1.2 mile remote paging in awesome. I've had the alarm for months and I'm glad I finally installed it.

Next I'm going to get a module to close the windows and sunroof when the alarm is set, and wire the windows and sunroof to the 4th button as an auxillary to remote open the windows. Wish I had done this mod sooner.

-- Best, John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Is there anyone in the DC/MD/VA or even NC area who's already done the rear door popper and is willing to help a fellow VX'er out. I'll be in NC this weekend.

wiring for popper

So in other words, Raque, you connect to the cigarette lighter which is hot only when the ignition is on, into your relay, instead of using the blue "start output" from the alarm control unit (which is hot in Park or Neutral) as suggested by Gary in another thread ? Where can you get the relay? Local electronics supply store? Thanks for the clarification. I was getting a little confused reading all the different info on different threads.

I believe I hooked into the "key in igni" wire from the Alarm Diagram. Got my relay from Ovation a local audio and car alarm installation place. You can probably pick one up at almost any place a car alarm is installed as long as you tell them the wire numbers (86,85,30,87,87A).

Johnny, you know which wire is activated by the remote option button?