Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Zu Zoo VI Mods

'Zu Zoo VI Mods

What kind of mods are you guys planning on doing (have already done) for ZuZoo VI?
    For those of you who have been before, what have you changed about your truck since you last attended a ZuZoo event?
    For those of you who have never been, what mods (if any) are you specifically doing for moab?

I'll go first
    For my first trip to Moab (last year) I went out and bought some 31" x 12.5" Super Swamper Boggers.
    This year I will have a set of Tone's Rock Bars (already own them, just need to weld them on), and I'm toying with the idea of a 3" suspension lift (finances permitting) that I will remove after the trip if it affects handling too much. I'll also remove it if it looks really bad with my street tires.

I'll be doing a tire/wheel package for offroading, keeping my street 18" combo. And a few other nick knack things..
    Scott / moncha.com

This will be my first ZOO. I have new tires and Trooper skid plate. Should be OK just as is. But I'm planning on swaybar disconnects soon. They seem like a really inexpensive mod for maximum gain.
    And, I too, am toying with the idea of a lift with OME springs, torsion bar crank and ball joint flip. I want to see how these new tires perform and if there is any rubbing on the trail. AND, I will have to see what the finances can bear in the upcoming months.

This will be my 1st ZuZoo. I already have a set of tires/rims setup of off-roading and the Trooper skid plate. I'd like to get Tone's sliders before the trip. I was also thinking of getting the bigger OEM Trooper springs? My biggest addition will have to be, to add more music in my RIO mp3 player before this trip. I currently only have about 4 gig of music and another 8 gig to spare. Looks like I might be driving from the furthest point away! For me, it's going to be 2,349.6 miles, give or take a few miles! So, I need more music for the trip Can't wait. I'd love to convoy with anyone going, so let me know, you East Coasters!

Dave...
    Always a kid at heart!

Question

Mods for Moab....? On a VX...?
    You must be kidding!
    I'll most likely have a new set of STOCK size tires.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

Swordy bars

Last year we didn't have our air locker connected, this year we do. We've added custom rock crawling bars, and custom tie rods. Oh, and replaced 2 cv boots(thanks to Moab). My all time favorite addition Swordy added before Moab was his new bumper sticker.....

What would I reccomend? Extra tie rods are worth their weight in gold. Tie rods are known to be the weekest link in the Isuzu. Amigo's, and Rodeo's have different sizes than VX's so road assistance is minimal. I have seen Swordy weld a bolt, rachet extension, and nut to the stock tie rod to get us off a trail. Unless you know someone with an onboard welder, or makeshift welder,an extra tie rod is nice.

Deby
    (Aiming for an Amigo with locked Dana 60's front and rear for Moab Zu VI)
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

Trooper Skidplate?

I have just purchaed a '99 VX and also own a '93 Trooper that will be sold over the next couple of weeks. Which Trooper skidplate are you referring to? The one in front or covering the transfer case? I would like to remove any and all Trooper parts that will still leave the Trooper running but that I can use on my VX.

Thanks,

John
    John
    99 Silver VX

skid plate

The one they are talking about is under the transfer case, and fits the VX also. That's the one you want for protecting the VX.

Deby

Arrow

It's the one that covers the transmission/transfer case (thanks deby, added the transfer case part) , it's a must have part. I don't know if the trooper you have has the same one, but if you do a search there's a part number for it. Also, it's a perfect fit, no modifications needed, the frame has threaded holes for it, don't know why they didn't add it to begin with. Just make sure you buy the extra bolts, part numbers again will be in the search. Other than that I just had 265/75/16's, with a spare on the factory roof rack. The picture you see next to my name was a picture from the Moab V trip.

OH, and a good cb radio...

99 Trooper
    X-FER Case Under Guard
    Dealers Parts Book Page 450 Figure 5-45
    Plate PN 8-97049-784-0
    Bolts (2) 8-97104-788-0

Thanks G-pa Bob!

JohnSpears, What is the front plate you are talking about? Any pics?

Angry Plates??

Okay,

Thanks for the feedback but getting under the Trooper produced an additional question. There are actually three different skid plates in the transmission area. One is definately there for the low hanging transfer case. There are two others. One looks to be to protect passenger side exhaust pipe before getting to the Y pipe and another protecting the catalytic converter.

I have a buyer for the Trooper who will pick it up on Monday of next week. I will pick up my VX this weekend in Mobile AL and will be driving it back to S. Texas. I would like to remove any and all plates before this weekend but don't want to take any that wont benefit me. Will all of them fit the VX or will only the TCase plate work?

The one in front I was referring to is at the front of the Trooper and looks to be there to deflect any hits to the lower radiator support.

I would attach pics if I only knew how

Thanks for the help!

John

Pics available

I think I got the pics thing figured out ...
    All of the pictures are from my '93 Trooper 3.2 SOHC Auto

This is the picture of the plates for the transfer case and passenger side exhaust pipe

This is plate for the cat
    [IMG]

And this is the plate for the front

My question is which ones are going to fit the VX? I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

John

I'd take them all off and see what fits.
    The t-case plate is a given. I can't see a use for the cat plate for the cats run along side of the tranny and aren't exposed very much if at all. The front plate looks promising ans looks to be a great deal more stout that the VX's...

Someone emailed me for pics of just the plate to order but sent it from someone else’s address - here it is - old ‘protector‘ plate in on the left:

Take all three

I took the three skid plates from my '93 trooper (going to a good home tomorrow) and installed them on my newly acquired VX '99. Two cover the exhaust pipes and t-bars and the other is for the transfer case. Plenty of coverage now. The front plate on post above will not fit.

Not sure if anyone has had a problem bending t-bars or exhaust pipes but you get alot of coverage with all three. The installation was a breeze. Took all of 10 minutes.

John