Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tow Hitch - Need Help ASAP!

Tow Hitch - Need Help ASAP!

Sup VXers?

I need to know where I can puchase a Class III tow hitch. Orginally a local mod shop (Trick Trucks) told me that they could get and install one. I made an apt and went to have it installed and was told that none of their manufacturer made a hitch for the VX anymore. But they told me that if I could find one, they could install it. I know I've seen them on a few VX's in the area and online.

I need this accessory purchased and installed before Memorial Day weekend.

PLEASE HELP!

Easy. Tone Monday.
    A hitch and the wiring kit are both available on his site. Directions with pictures also.
    The installed hitch looks great - does not hang down underneatch the VX.
    I believe installation of this hitch requires the the rear bumper cover to be removed, but it does not appear to be difficult and the installed hitch looks like a factory installed hitch (or better).

I don't know if anyone ever made a Class III. I have a Dalan Class II that I believe is rated at 3500 #. I've pulled my car tailer and Vette (5000+ #) and it works but the short wheelbase VX and the long trailer didn't feel real comfortable. I don't think I would recommend it. Be real carefull! I have a small utility trailer, just used it yesterday, maybe 750+/- # and that tows just beautiful.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. Although I’m not crazy about installing a hitch that would require the cladding to be cut or modded, I may end up going with Tone's kit after all.

I'm not really concerned with the towing capacity. I'm only towing a 384 lb Sports bike. But the rack that I have for the bike is a Class III and is only 74 lbs. Total towing capacity will be less than 500.

here is a previous post on hitches. as i stated in the other post if you do get the dalan hitch have it painted or sprayed with bed liner ,or undercoating to prevent rust. shawn http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=trailer+hitch
    1COOLVX

Psychos2, thanks for the link. It provided some good info. But also raised another very important question...

Anyone know the tongue weight capacity of Tone's hitch kit? Since my motorcycle carrier is a rack and not a trailer, all of the weight (bike & rack) is right at the tongue.

Originally posted by DaPenetrator
    Psychos2, thanks for the link. It provided some good info. But also raised another very important question...

Anyone know the tongue weight capacity of Tone's hitch kit? Since my motorcycle carrier is a rack and not a trailer, all of the weight (bike & rack) is right at the tongue.
    I have Tone's hitch and can say it is both nice looking and relatively easy to install. I however don't know about putting a rack and sport bike on it like that. I'm not sure of the actual rated tongue capacity of it, but think about the amount of corce thta would be put on it while driving down the road... you might be at 500 lbs static weight, but thing aobut the weight of it when you hit a bump... not to mention that the actual load would be out quite a ways... I can't imagine ANY hitch taking that. Of course, I am NOT an engineer and could be wrong about the whole thing. Good luck. If you do it, let us know how it works out.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!

I have lifted the entire rear end of the VX including the wheels from the hitch. The hitch only moved about 1/32 of an inch. So I would 110% put a rack on it with 4 HEAVY HUFFY's in it.

I also have a trailer that I can town 2 spotbikes with no problems. I have traveled atleast 4k miles with the TL1000R and the R1 strapped to the back. TONEs hitch still good! ;Dr;

i don't know if i would . the hitch and the rack end up being a huge lever pulling on the frame. towing a heavy trailer is different from using a rack. what do you think tone? shawn

Trailer is more of a lever than a rack depending on the load but a rack is closer to the truck so less leverage.

We are talking about a 384 pound sport bike NOT four heavy huffy bicycles! Keep in mind that a rack that will hold a sport bike is going to have the big part of the weight pushed outa decent amount so that the fairing and clips will clear the back door... if you ask me, thats gonna be a decent distance... I have jacked my VX by the hitch too... works fine for short time with a fairly static load... but if you put the dynamic load of a 384 pound bike, probably centered at least 12-15" from the mounting surface of the frame, you have a HUGE force... are there any engineers here? I'm sure there are plenty of formulas to calculate this... and again... there is a HUGE difference between some bicycles and a dang sport bike... aka MOTORCYCLE... just my 2 cents.

TTYL!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...

Originally posted by Tone
    Trailer is more of a lever than a rack depending on the load but a rack is closer to the truck so less leverage.
    Another point... I don't agree with that statement... I don't know the last time I put a trailer on that I COULDN'T lift by hand... MAYBE 200 lbs heaviest... but I doubt it... heck, our ski boat had a tongue weight low enough that I could lift it (only an inch or two) when I was 10 years old... tell me that the rack with a sport bike on it is gonna be less than that... I don't think so.

Later!

Coach

Or maybe I'm missing something... do they make racks like what I am thinking?! lol After re-reading it a few times... I am starting to wonder if I'm the one missing the point. What is this rack like? Your talking about hauling a 384 pound sport bike on a rack that has NO wheels? Or are you talking about a trailer or what? I assume a rack with no wheels since you said it only weighs 74 pounds... do you have a picture of the "rack" in question? Sorry if I'm smoking crack...

TTYL!

Randy

tone, a trailer is different the way it supports the load. yes you are putting the weight on the hitch ,but you are not hanging it 2 feet out from the frame and twisting it . a trailer pivots and does not twist the hitch. shawn

Hey guys, thanks again for all the replies and input. Let me give you some more info to help clarify some things....

I previously had a Lincoln Navigator (b4 the VX) with a towing capacity of 6,500 lbs and a maxium tongue load of 500 lbs. I was able to carry my bike on that hitch with no problems. In fact, we made several trips to NC, NJ, NY, and FL. Never had any unfortunate accidents. But then I don't know how that hitch was attached to the vehicle since it was factory installed.

I do know for a fact that tongue capacity is always extremely less than tow capacity. Because all of the weight of the item in tow is placed on the tongue itself rather than on the wheels of a trailer. Hince the 6,500 lbs the Navi was able to pull with a trailer verses the 500 lbs that it was able to carry with a rack.

The rack in question is the MotoTote Sportsbike Carrier...

http://www.mototote.com

And you guys were correct in the fact that the rack extends about 3 feet from the back of the truck to allow for mounting and the bike fairings. So there's an extreme amount of leverage and twisting on the hitch.

Anymore sugguestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.