Thread: What's an offset?

What's an offset?

Quick question,

What does the offset mean in regards to our wheels? I know my 2001 stock VX has 38mm offset, but what does that mean?

If I want to buy wheels that are 20 x 8.5 and an 6mm offset, how will that affect the vehicle?

Any info is appreciated!

If I'm not mistaken (and if anyone knows differently, PLEASE correct me), the offset is a measurement off how far the mounting surface of the wheel is from the centerline of the rim. So, if the stock wheel is 7" wide and has an offset of 28mm... and compare to a similar width wheel of 7" but with a 6mm offset, the 6mm offset would stick out further by 22mm... now if your changing to an 8.5" rim with the lower offset, you'd have to do some calculations... if the offset was zero... you would have an extra 3/4" of rim towards the frame, and an extra 3/4" wheel sticking out of the wheel well... but now you have to factor in the 6mm offset... my brain is too cooked right now to do that... so run with it and see what you get. It would be easier if I was fluent in SAE to Metric conversion! lol Does any of that make sense?

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
    Click Image to Visit My Website!

offset

Lots of info about offset on the web, offset whether positive or negative, is the amount in mm the centerline of the tire is offset from the mounting flange face of the wheel hub itself. Most frontwheel drive cars have a positive offset while rear while drive cars have smaller positive offsets and some older cars even had zero offset where the centerline of the tire was inline with the wheel hub flange mounting surface. Be sure to get the right offset because wrong offset can affect handling adversely and/or wrong offset might cause tires to rub chassis/body parts when turning. Using spacers is not really a good idea either IMHO unless they are very precisely machined, and even so odd problems may occur with spacers if wheel nuts are not torqued correctly or if there is any rust, corrosion or dirt on the wheel hub flange surfaces.

Hi Medman,

That's the size wheel I just ordered & they are on their way here now...I'll have them on next week & post some pics of how far they stick out ....probably about 1.5 " (my offset will be 10)

I ordered a tire which will probably require trimming (285/50/20) but cross the fingers not too much....gotta make them fit though

Talk to you soon,
    ~Kiersten

BTW.... I think it was the Elite Barb you wanted right? I got the Panther Juice 241....they are quite similar and the bore size of the panther was 110 so it was a better fit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
    http://www.skperformance.com/b_s__se...vs__offset.htm
    Excellent link.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!