View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine failure poll?

I'll cut firewall if necessary and move dash back 4 inches;eekp; ...

but, I think I will wait on engine for now and throw a Dana 60 in the rear, go with a Dana 44 solid axle in front, OX lockers fron/rear, 5.1 ratio, Warn winch, extra auxillary Yellow Top, on board air, and just about anything I pull out of ...um..my____ and decide to go with.

Maybe in 6 months I might light my hair on fire and do the engine/tranny swap. But, for now I will use this engine.

I"ve been away for quite some time from this board. I have a 99 VX at 68K and change and she's going strong. Out of the six failures we know on this board, what was the cause of failure? TIA.
    Michel
    2006 FX35
    99VX (Sold)
    95RX7 500rwhp (Sold)
    2005 Evo VIII SSL (Sold)
    2004 Aprilia RSV-R Factory-lots o mods
    www.michelfortier.com

My 2000 died at 53,000. It was a rod bearing failure, replaced under powertrain warranty by Isuzu.

engine failure

hey guys,
    i know this gets brought up from time to time, but i'm really starting to wonder about all this. my 99' has about 43,000 on it and a new pcv valve, and the thing uses about a quart every 500-700 miles. i am running full synthetic in the engine. What is bothering me is that i am hearing this a whole lot over at the rodeo and trooper forums to. now people are like "it's not alot when you consider the number made". thats bull, it's typically happening around the same mileage, usually the same diagnosis, etc. this should not be happening frequently on an auto built in the late 90's, especially under 100k on the odometer. the fact that honda recalled thousands of cars because of 6 problems with oil leaks, and that ford just recalled almost a million because of a "POSSIBLE spring break" in cold weather climates, just makes me feel like we're getting bent even more. i had an amigo that i drove the hell out of and it didn't even whimper until 175,000 miles. come one isuzu, what happened? SOOO. what are the chances of starting a class action lawsuit? i love my vehicross and appreciate isuzu for bringing it to fruition, but this happens with more that just the engine with VX owners, people have had problems with getting things replaced UNDER WARRANTY much less out of. I am seriously thinking that this is something that needs to be done, alot of people here are coming out for the worse. It has me this riled and i don't even have the problem (knock on wood). i feel really bad for the others that this has happened to. and YES isuzu should be at fault here, they are comfy because this is something that bounces around a mileage that they are comfortable with because ittend to fall just outside their responsibility. but they are being deceptive in not announcing the problem and allowing people to purchase an auto that very likely may have engine failure just outside the warranty and under 100k.

anyway, just wondering... i think we should all come together and do this for the sake of friends and ourselves. it may happen to you next.

technocoy
    macintosh man

This was the biggest reason for getting rid of my VX. Isuzu as a company totally sucks. I thought that I'd miss my VX alot more than I do, but most of the time I don't even think about it. I just decided that I needed a vehicle I could just get into and drive without worrying that something is going to go wrong. Plus the $5000 dollar motor cost really hits the pocket hard. It never really had the power that I wanted so I didn't give up much. Sorry just have a really big grudge against Isuzu for the whole engine ordeal. Since it will never go away, I got rid of the thing that kept reminding me of them.
    "Lead, follow, or get outta my way!!"

43,000 on it and a new pcv valve, and the thing uses about a quart every 500-700 miles
    actually, I would say that is a problem .......
    potential of 5-10 qts of oil consumed per 5000 miles .....
    OUCH .........
    imagine how many vehicles would be sold if potential owners were informed you could/would use a quart of oil every 1000 miles ........

VX_PA

I can see your point. I just can't imagine getting rid of it, i can't explain how much i love this vehicle and i haven't even gotten crazy with my mods yet. I REALLY enjoy the rarity of it. But i know that i love it so much that i would replace the engine when it DID go. SO i don't think it's fair to owners who are loyal to have to deal with a company who isn't. i think they should be made to own up to a problem with their engines. i imagine that eventually i'll get a daily driver and cover the VX up to only be driven on weekends, but in the meantime i would like to not wonder when it may blow, as it's my only car right now (my dream car, but still my only car).

thanks for the input PA,
    good luck with your new auto, now and hopefully past 50,000 miles!

david

David,

Thanks for the kind words. I unfortunitely had to deal with Corp. Isuzu and their Regional Service Rep when I lost my engine. All I have to say is good luck getting Isuzu to take blame for anything on their products. Hopefully your VX lasts a long time without any major headaches.

Mike

t2p....

i agree, i could drive that mileage in a trip to the mountains and back (or the coast) i don't care what anyone says, a quart every 1000 miles in any post 1990 vehicle is unacceptable. And i have had several aluminum engines that never did this (the 89' amigo) so the aluminum engine/head excuse is BS. My 85 nissan pickup didn't use this much oil in 96', and i drove the dog-piss out of that thing with oversized tires on it. I think we have all been patient enough, it's eat or be eaten, i just am not sure how to go about this, so i was looking to a response from all my VX friends as to whether this is something that it is time to get serious about.

It is sad to hear the problems that people have had problems with their VX. I am lucky that I have not had a problem yet, I have a 00' with 35,000 on it and I have had a supercharger since 11,000 miles, and with the 6psi pulley since they first had them. I agree that these problems should not be happening on any vehicle as new as these. I personaly think GM is to blaim, especially after seeing that they plan on only allowing ISUZU to sell a rebadged Trailblazer for the next few years. I personaly love my vehicle, and if for any reason the motor does go out. I will just buy a used Axiom with the new direct injection 3.5L and do a lovely transplant!!!! I am sorry to those of you that have had these problems.

164,000 miles and going strong on my '99!!!

I think Isuzu is great... Just hope they build something else as sporty for me soon before Toyota puts their FJ Cruiser on the market and in the showrooms.
    Happy Flying!

Randy

why don't you guys that are worried about engine failure put your minds at ease and simply pop your EGR valve off, spray it down with carb cleaner and put it back on. Take the PCV out, shake it next to your ear. If you hear it rattle you can keep it in, if you don't feel comfortable in that decision, replace the $4 part.
    If it still consumes oil afterwards, call James Scot Farrin.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Question

vx69, are you sure about the 6psi pulley? I have the upgraded 5psi one. I am not aware of a 6lb one... yet.

What is a PCV?

Hi all,
    my friend is an Isuzu rep in NJ and he just showed up in a 05 Ascender. Rebadged Trailblazer, nope. Its like ssaying the Hombre was a rebadged s10. Every panel on the truck is different on the Assender (yes i know i spelled it incorrectly). The rear hatch, 1/4 panels, glass, i THINK the front doors are the same. Hood, fenders, front and rear bumper, all different. The cage (inner structure) might be the same as well as the inline 6 (droool). Anyway, he told me that alot of motors have been replaced under warranty, but alo have to do with owners not bringing the problem to Isuzu's attention soon. One guy refused a timing belt replacement repair (under warranty) because he needed the truck ASAP, guess what, timing belt broke. 6k for a new motor installed, not warrantied. AND YOU KNOW HE TRIED TO BLAME ISUZU. well thats my 2 cents
    Ron