View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Engine failure poll?

my 01 just died 3 weeks ago, confirmed dead today when i drove it home. i almost didn't make it. 78k miles. original owner. yes i check the oil......it was dry out of the blue. oil light never came on until after the loud ticking started. not sure what i'm gonna do. that 5.3L V8 sounds good, wonder what it costs.
    When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.........HST

It would be nice if the failures provided add'l info. There are so many possibilities that may/may not aggravate a borderline engineering issue.

How often between changes?
    What oil used?
    Ever use Slick50 or other additives?
    What climate?
    Average length of trip?
    Ever use engine cleaners between oil changes?
    Ever use ZDDP enriched oils? (if so, how consisently)?
    How hard driven?
    How well serviced? (air filter changed the "right" amout -- more often if dusty)
    Was oil ever underfilled by oil change service company? (I found one that showed 4.2 qts as the correct fill!)
    Ever use top-end cleaner (like SeaFoam)?

There are so many variables!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by LeglizHemp View Post
    my 01 just died 3 weeks ago, confirmed dead today when i drove it home. i almost didn't make it. 78k miles. original owner. yes i check the oil......it was dry out of the blue. oil light never came on until after the loud ticking started. not sure what i'm gonna do. that 5.3L V8 sounds good, wonder what it costs.
    Such a bummer. What are you going to do? 78K really sucks. Hope you fix it soon. I got a super expensive tranny rebuild last fall and it was totally worth it to drive my VX again. Let us know!
    Canadian VXer!

Well my engine is blown in my '99 . Time to fix it up

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub View Post
    Well my engine is blown in my '99 . Time to fix it up
    Dang, hate to hear this....
    Can you give us DETAILS DETAILS ...?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sounds like a rod is bent and pounding hard in the heart, I'm debating on what to do selling isn't a option for me. It really sounds like I was hot rodding it, I do keep up on the oil so its kinda strange that it went out like this. I do have a audio clip of it, I was gonna make a new thread getting ideas on what path I should go down.

hey gang-

another VX down w/ engine failure, but hopefully only temporarily. i had done a refill on the oil the previous week! can't go new replacement right now even if i found something i like as much (which i haven't).

so looking at getting a reman engine from promar in NJ. looking at about3k delivered + core return included. the dealer wants just over 7k for an isuzu reman! also need a new cat con. is ther' a list of parts that i should definitely replace while the engine's being done. i planning on replacing the h2o pump. any input greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by vxpac View Post
    hey gang-

another VX down w/ engine failure, but hopefully only temporarily. i had done a refill on the oil the previous week! can't go new replacement right now even if i found something i like as much (which i haven't).

so looking at getting a reman engine from promar in NJ. looking at about3k delivered + core return included. the dealer wants just over 7k for an isuzu reman! also need a new cat con. is ther' a list of parts that i should definitely replace while the engine's being done. i planning on replacing the h2o pump. any input greatly appreciated.
    Details? Did the oil suddenly disappear? More details!

oh you betcha' like a thirsty camel in the desert in the prior month. minimal loss in the driveway. i had a problem with a leak in the cat which was "repaired" + started to here the same sound which gradually became louder. the shop i had taken it to listened + told me that it would be okay right after i began to hear it again. he said no worries at that point, it gradually became louder + when driving it back to the shop, the sound became louder + more rattly. he told me after looking at it that indeed the cat need to be replaced but the loud rattle was actually a thrown rod. some how i'm feeling less than pleased with this former isuzu tech. but that's the story!

another one bites the dust 1999

It's for sale.
    Cam failure. It still ran. Showed miss fire #6 ran like s@@t. Had to drive home 100 miles. It made it. Where did all that metal go?
    Not sure of the future. Would love a diesel in that rig.

Well damn ...
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

what!

Quote Originally Posted by Thelgord View Post
    Well damn ...
    What happened!?!?!?!

Hopefully salvageable.

01 with 170k started to knock and the engine shutdown after a few seconds from the start of the knock. Just started to tear it down. Hopefully I can save it.

1999, Victory White, Ironman, 1567, 1999, Astral Silver(Painted Green Mica), Vehicross, 1454
    Hi All, i have read this entire thread looking for more posts innorder to figure out what is happening with these engines. I own two Vehicross both 99’s . The engine in my daily driver i rebuilt personally about three years ago out of a 6VD1 Rodeo block which i turned into a 3.5L by installing a. ew crank and shorter pistons as thats the difference between 3.2 and 3.5 L aside from knock sensor tapped hole location in the top of the block. i have noticed that it does use about a litre of oil every 1000 miles. Running 5w30 full synthetic and high performance oil filter. I had installed a catch can and filter on the pcv line for about a half a year and then removed it because it made no difference. Change oil at 3000 miles but its always fairly clean as i am always adding new. The engine in this vehicross was blown when i got it. Rod failure … number 1 i think.. have to check my pics.