View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Engine failure poll?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny010 View Post
    I'm not happy to read about all of these engine problems. I've owned rare vehicles before, and you expect window issues, quirks here and there, but I agree, a modern motor shouldn't be having an oil flow design flaw.

I'm in for figuring out which motor is best to replace ours with. Does anyone have a list of all that is needed to swap in the 2004 Axiom engine (which are becoming more rare as we discuss this issue).
    Using about one minute of my time, & the search function, I found this...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ighlight=axiom

Can someone describe the rod knock sound for me? I have a sound that reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I can only hear it INSIDE the cabin. The motor makes no such noise with the hood up. Also, the motor noise is very loud (like the sound of air blasting out of it) when at throttle. This is another thing that makes me believe there is an exhaust leak.

I just drove it 850 miles. I'll be checking the oil before I leave my office in a few hours. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
    Can someone describe the rod knock sound for me? I have a sound that reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I can only hear it INSIDE the cabin. The motor makes no such noise with the hood up. Also, the motor noise is very loud (like the sound of air blasting out of it) when at throttle. This is another thing that makes me believe there is an exhaust leak.
    Might be that your EGR nut has come loose. The EGR valve is between the intake manifold and the firewall, and the nut threads UP into the bottom of the valve. There have even been cases where it's come all the way out of it's threads and has been found just spinning at the bottom of the EGR tube.

(Similarities from another thread) http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=egr+nut

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago, resulting in a "dieseling" sound during acceleration. If that's the case, a simple re-tightening of the nut with a 22mm wrench should do the trick. At the time, I also applied some anti-sieze to the threads before tightening, and while I can't say for sure that the anti-sieze helped it stay tight, I do know that it hasn't happened again.

are these failures do to starvation from gunk build up ?
    if so has anyone tried the A.T.F. trick

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Might be that your EGR nut has come loose. The EGR valve is between the intake manifold and the firewall, and the nut threads UP into the bottom of the valve. There have even been cases where it's come all the way out of it's threads and has been found just spinning at the bottom of the EGR tube.

(Similarities from another thread) http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=egr+nut

Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago, resulting in a "dieseling" sound during acceleration. If that's the case, a simple re-tightening of the nut with a 22mm wrench should do the trick. At the time, I also applied some anti-sieze to the threads before tightening, and while I can't say for sure that the anti-sieze helped it stay tight, I do know that it hasn't happened again.
    Much obliged. I'll check it as soon as I can. It was about a quart low after about 1000 miles of driving. I know that's within spec to Isuzu, but not for me. I'll be replacing the PCV and EGR soon. Which part of the EGR tube should be replaced? I know there are two parts. I just don't know which one clogs. I've got my fingers crossed that this will eliminate the oil burning for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
    ...I'll be replacing the PCV and EGR soon. Which part of the EGR tube should be replaced? I know there are two parts. I just don't know which one clogs. I've got my fingers crossed that this will eliminate the oil burning for a while.
    The tube itself is generally what can become clogged, but it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. It can be taken off and cleaned too.

While I didn't read through the entire thing, this thread has a link that probably includes about everything you would ever need to know about the EGR valve: removal and re-installation, cleaning, etc.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=egr+tube

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    The tube itself is generally what can become clogged, but it doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. It can be taken off and cleaned too.

While I didn't read through the entire thing, this thread has a link that probably includes about everything you would ever need to know about the EGR valve: removal and re-installation, cleaning, etc.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=egr+tube
    Again, much obliged. I know little about these cars, but am not new to wrenching on cars overall. Had a Subaru Impreza WRX/STi for a few years and recently totaled my 99 E36 M3. Turning a wrench isn't new, but the first time doing things is still just as intimidating now as ever.

The good news is that at least there's some room to work on these things if necessary, where compared to some cars today...uhm yeah...not so much.

Doesn't sound like you'll have any problems with this one, but even if you do, there's usually someone hanging out around here to provide a quick answer if you need it.

UPDATE: I do smell gas in my oil, but the oil is not thin and I can read it just fine (1000 miles of driving on this change, most of it a long highway trip at interstate speeds). Just a quart low. I added a quart this evening and will re-measure in the morning before work.

The EGR should be here Friday and the plan is to swap it and the PCV this weekend (Sunday). I'll clean out the tubes as well.

UPDATE: EGR was fine, so I did not swap it. PCV was slightly clogged. Replaced it. Cleaned the MAF. Cleaned the throttle body, changed the rear diff fluid. Also discovered that the fan clutch is toast. No one local had one. I can source one from car-stuff.com for ~$60, but I need to wait. Believe it or not, I might be selling it today. Already informed prospective owner of fan clutch, etc. :lol:

Oh, and why the Hell did my driver's side window regulator suddenly stop working? It was working down South a week and a half ago. Does the cold do this, or did it just crap out?

where is the start a new thread link?

I looked all over and could not find the link to start a new thread. So I saw this link that may be of interewst to those who had engine failure
    http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-...FRwUawodbjSE0g

Looks like a lawyer looking to build a class action law suit for defective 3.2 and 3.5 engines

Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced. As soon as the warranty on current Isuzus run out Isuzu is gone for good. Which means no more new parts. Not that anyone buys them, and much exist to begin with. lol. Especially for these VX.

Quote Originally Posted by Med!c View Post
    Too bad Isuzu had a recall. A lot of people simply didnt take advantage and didnt get their engines replaced.
    What a minute. There's been no recall or lawsuit. A law firm is investigating the possibility of a class action lawsuit. It may or may not happen. Nothing has changed for now. A failed engine will hopefully get replaced under warranty. Out of warranty, out of luck, just like any engine and any auto maker.

Mark

Well folks, I know I haven't posted here much...(at all) But I've read the forum and your tips were helpful on many ocasions.
    Driving home from work on the PA turnpike Friday the oil light came on and stayed on (I know I should have pulled off and dumped oil in, but I didn't) I had plans to change the oil on sunday, honest.
    Well, Engine started knocking and, not being familiar with that particular noise I didn't imediatly shut her down.
    She stopped running and I made it to an emergency pull off and as soon as I identified that I was out of my depth I sumoned a service truck.
    An hour later they showed up.
    thirty minutes after that a flatbed showed up.
    An hour and $90 later we pulled into a former isuzu dealer. I made the decision to leave her there as that would be the most likely place to get parts.
    I spoke with the folks there and asked them to do a diognostic.
    They did and report that she needs a new engine for $8900 + labor.

I'm not sure where we are going from here...but I think my time as a VehiCross owner is very limited.

99 Astral 105k miles (I think)

wow bummer that totally sucks! Let us know if you figure out a better option in case it happens to another one.
    Canadian VXer!