View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine failure poll?

Add mine.

My '99 just blew out at 66000 miles. In searching for an engine I found 2 Troopers for sale on ebay with the same engine which needed engine replacement. They want $3500 for a USED 3.5, which is about $2000 more than for similar engines. This leads me to believe a lot of them fail and there are not many good ones available to replace them with.

99 vx Rod knock
    failed at 98k

Condolences dude. Living in Canada at first I thought you meant 98km and I was like whaaaaaaaat???? What are you going to do? Sure am sorry to hear that you didn't even make 100k but maybe the silver lining for the rest of us is that it's been over 9 months since someone posted in this thread. *prays* Post back if you have any info about what might have happened to it or what you did about it. Bummer.
    Canadian VXer!

no... there have been at least 2 other engines to kaboom in the past month sorry to hear about yours.. i think 98k is the highest ive heard of one going

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    no... there have been at least 2 other engines to kaboom in the past month sorry to hear about yours.. i think 98k is the highest ive heard of one going
    lol, the highest? oh hell. I guess i am used to the Honda's i track where a 130k motor uses a bit of oil but still runs strong. No knocking!
    I will see what they are going to do with it.

well no when these engines go it tends to happen from 30-60k miles after that most people are in the clear.. im pretty sure there are multiple VXs at 150 and 200k miles

i know what you mean about hondas though, we sold my dads old honda accord at 275k (original engine and trans) and its still running at 300k+

Mine are both Type R's one is a track car " road race" the other is a street .
    I also have a CRX that i auto x with.

Hallo Colleagues

I am from Overseas and I have an '99 Ironman.
    It has 105K MIles and I have got now an Engine Knock....
    I even nedd an new Crankshaft for my VX but I can not find it on the net.
    could somebody help to get a new Crank fro my VX?
    many thanks in advance for your friendly replay and Help.

well # 1 rod earing spun but now she has a new "reman" long block in her.98k and going for another 98k

Great!! I've owned mine for 2 months...put 2000 miles on it and I hit 80,000.
    Everything is strong, no leaks no heat issues...I've heard a few guys have changed over to synthetic oils...anybody had issues doing that??

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Great!! I've owned mine for 2 months...put 2000 miles on it and I hit 80,000.
    Everything is strong, no leaks no heat issues...I've heard a few guys have changed over to synthetic oils...anybody had issues doing that??
    No issues, but I did get some oil on my favorite T-shirt. .

To be on the safe side, you could change it to syn., run it with the new syn., then short change it again, (500-1000 miles) as soon as it starts to get a little dark on the dipstick...just to flush out the gunk.

Thanks LW...sorry bout the delayed response...been gone for the past few weeks!!
    Will do and thanks for the info!!!
    Woody

Another one bites the dust. (99, Ebony)

From what I've gathered here and my gear head buddy heard, I threw a rod. Since I'm not a mechanically inclined person (no, not at all), I'll just describe it for ya. In early April, I noticed a pinging noise emanating from the engine. Well, that ping soon became a pronounced knock and evolved into a full-on jackhammer, especially when shifting gears at lower speeds. It tended to quiet down/even out between 50-60 MPH on the highway. Yes, the oil situation was pretty outrageous leading up to it.

Since I've known for a long time that I wasn't willing to throw anymore money at the vehicle, I just waited for the inevitable to happen. I'd read these forums and just knew it was coming.

And what a glorious departure she made. I was on the Poplar Street Bridge crossing into Illinois from St. Louis last Wednesday night when it went down. There was an awful racket and then the only sound I heard was that of other vehicles honking and blowing by me. Managed to coast off the bridge onto the Rte 3 South exit ramp where momentum died, and I was able to walk to a gas station to borrow a phone book. Luckily, the tow guy and I beat IDOT back to the scene just as they were about to hookup one of their "cherry pickers" to drag it away. Technically, I was in a lane of traffic, so they had every right to clear the way as quickly as possible.

Anyway, long time lurker and first time poster. I've read these forums since '03, when I was originally researching the VX and recognize a lot of names from way back then. I'm undecided as to what is to become of the corpse, but I'll keep ya'll informed.

From what I've heard of that area of STL (and at night to boot), it sounds like you're lucky it was only your engine that died.

Sorry to hear about the recent expiration date. I know a couple of guys in the STL area who might be able to help you locate a used replacement motor in the areas' salvage yards if that's what you decide to do. I'd be glad to make a couple of phone calls to ask for their suggestions. They generally specialize in Ford and Mazda products, but they might be willing to make an exception in this case.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to get their input.

rebuilt 3.5

i ran across this on ebay $3000 for a 3.5. hope it helps
    http://stores.ebay.com/ENGINES-DIRECT