View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Engine failure poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A View Post
    Hey Phil,
    I wouldn't worry too much mate. It's the exact same engine as the Frontera 3.2 (I haven't heard of too many of them failing) ...It's as reliable as any engine out there if it's looked after... Oil seems to be the main issue... just keep an eye on the level... and change it preferably before its due. I also asked over on the Frontera owners group if anyone had an issue like this... I can't see anyone who has ...maybe it's just related to the 3.5?.... Were the U.S. models assembled in the U.S. or Japan?
    Thanks for the reply Paul.. always had a lot of faith in JDM stuff (particularly the important bits!)...this is why i have had a fair bit of Japanese imported cars and was also a factor in choosing the VX!

Thanks again.

ps. do you run yours on the 99 ron fuel ? (V power, Tesco momentum)
    Subaru Forester STi (310 bhp/330 Lbs/ft) JDM heaven

Hi Phil,
    Yes, I do ... when I can afford it... Lol! Was lucky enough to get a whole load of bottles of stp fuel additive for free... which I use (and it does seem to work!) with the 97 ron fuel.
    What I do when I do an oil change though (and I know it sounds "Old fashioned") is run "flushing oil" in there for 20 mins. Surprising how much more crud comes out!
    A "magnetic" sump plug is a good investment.... cheap too!
    Speaking to the guys on the Frontera forum no one seems to have suffered with rod bearing failure running the same 3.2 engine.In fact it seems to have something of a reputation as "Bullet proof." They do get similar problems with stuff like the intake gaskets etc though.
    It seems the problem is far more prevalent with the 3.5 engines.
    As they are basically the same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........
    Something I am looking into is whether the oil cooler may be a little bigger on the Frontera than the Vx... If it is... it might be a good preventative measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A View Post
    same engine just bored and stroked, I'm wondering if that extra stress is just a "little too much"........
    Seriously doubt that. The best theory I heard was the oil ring (aka ring land) on the stroked version set too close to smallish drain-back holes. This could cause gunk to build up over time, interfering with proper oil flow. I also think it was supposed to have been corrected in either 2001 or 2002. (not sure) If you look around here, you'll find a thread with a better explanation.

Either way, cleaning it like you mention could be one of the keys for longevity. Regular (frequent) oil changes might be a huge plus for this issue too.

Lots of people have blamed PVC valves here but I don't know that the 3.2's would have had a different one.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

my 99 has a knocking rod. 2nd motor and 86,000 miles. putting in 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by givegodachance View Post
    my 99 has a knocking rod. 2nd motor and 86,000 miles. putting in 3.2
    Same thing with my VX,needs engine overhaul after 99.000
    Dakar was just the begining.

200,000 and still running. No ticks knocks, no nothin, keeping regular service and treating my VX the rite way, never been off-road never been beat, 5 sets of tires 1transmition and that was my falt and a transfer case and come to find out that was not the problem. I still have people wondering who made the new crossover. I feel bad for you guys that beat the hell out of your VX and wonder why its broke. I new from the getgo this would be a collector. Oh by the way ,its as clean under the hood as it is inside.Take care of your VX's, they won't last long if you don't.

ive thought quite a few times that some people's "engine failures" are almost always "operator failures" - almost every time you read on this site about someone's engine blowing their next sentance is "then i checked the oil - bone dry!?" that doesnt sound like engine failure to me that sounds like neglectful ownership

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    ive thought quite a few times that some people's "engine failures" are almost always "operator failures" - almost every time you read on this site about someone's engine blowing their next sentance is "then i checked the oil - bone dry!?" that doesnt sound like engine failure to me that sounds like neglectful ownership
    yeah, I've read that too, but I recall reading some (pbkid for example), where a very knowledgable/diligent owner checked their oil in the morning and by afternoon, engine blows, and oil is basically gone or really low....(Jack jump in here if I've stated this incorrectly)
    That scenario scares the bejeezers out of me.....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    Ain't possible, oil doesn't just disappear...If it ain't smokin', it ain't leakin' and it ain't goin' into the cooling system, then it ain't gonna all-of-a-sudden-like just vanish!! (Unless of course you're using that "David Copperfield" oil...)
    isn't it possible when it vaporizes (my word) out the PCV valve? It isn't exactly leakin' or smokin'.....granted that's a ton of vaporizing to completely empty the crankcase.
    Where's the oil I lost on my 1,000+ mile Moab trip?

Maybe some others will jump in here with their specific scenario on oil and engine failure. Jack???
    Maybe I'm wrong on this....can somebody clarify or confirm?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    isn't it possible when it vaporizes (my word) out the PCV valve? It isn't exactly leakin' or smokin'.....granted that's a ton of vaporizing to completely empty the crankcase.
    Where's the oil I lost on my 1,000+ mile Moab trip?

Maybe some others will jump in here with their specific scenario on oil and engine failure. Jack???
    Maybe I'm wrong on this....can somebody clarify or confirm?
    I really have no idea where my motor oil went when my engine dropped. But I was very diligent in checking my oil level every time I got gas.

The day my motor dropped, I was set to drive about 250 miles, so I topped her off before the trip, and half way home I got a tick, checked the fluid and it was about 1.5 quarts low. When I had filled it this morning??

I put another quart and a half in, and it started ticking 15 miles later, 2 more quarts down. Now something is definately wrong, call AAA and have it towed to my Isuzu guy. Get it there and it had a cracked rod bearing that couldnt be repaired or rebuilt. Took out a loan half the cost of the car and get it fixed, and sold when fixed, cant afford to do that again.

Now, it could have been blowing it all out the exhaust, but let me know how easy it is to see a little smoke in your rear view mirror of your VX. I cant even see a SEMI in my rear view mirror, much less a little smoke. Then factor in that it was dusk, and you dont stand a chance.

I've had people tell me that its not possible that I had no warning signs, but I consider myself a very observant person, and also car minded. So, take it as it is, but thats what happened to me.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

If only they made something like this to add oil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJu2UCG0Pw

Probably the same place your posts are going.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Must be gettin' past the rings...
    Vixer Fixer

...and burning up in the catalytic converter so the emissions can't be seen....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    ...and burning up in the catalytic converter so the emissions can't be seen....
    Ummmmmm......... Not 2qts in 15m. You'd see that.