Page 59 of 197 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 159 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself here!

Hello everyone,

Im Costas and trying to find a VX.. any things i should consider before i buy one?

Thanks

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    "Nice to know you are interested in the mighty VX.

The isuzu vehicross is one of the must powerfull PUV (performance utility vehicule) its off roading capabilities are way over any jeep you may drove in the past & perfomance on the highway is outstanding.

The engine is a 3.5L DOHC with 215 horsepower & 230 at 3000 RPM.

The transmmission comes with a self-controlled PCM (power control module) called TOD (torque on demand) that's capable of "reading" the road's condition ahead thanks to it's 12 speed sensors located at all the wheels.

Capable of going 0-60 bit less then 8 seconds with engine in stock conditions,few VX's has been "supercharged"

The interior is all leather,the VX came in two tones colors, the red/black & black/grey depending on the year;The seats are recaro brand

Another great feature the VX came with is its supension,very tough & bumpie,but thanks to the four anti-heat gas shocks,same ones use in motorcross,the VX is capable of doing stuffs that other SUV's would stay away from.

The VX was limited produced,from 1999 to 2001 for the US market,about 4000 of them,so because of this limited amount the lack of avalaible parts are one of the common issues,much more on body parts,although the VX shares parts from SUV cousins rodeo & trooper regarding the 3.5L engine.

concerns:
    The 3.5L engine suffers oil burning issues,not on all of them,but is a very common issue,so the best solution for this is to keep a close eye on the oil pressure,most of us check the engine every time we filled up the tank,especially if you commute a lot of miles every week.It's highly recommended to use synthetic oil,the most common brand : MOBIL 1 another one is the AMSOIL,which ever you choose to use got to be synthetic for the VX's engine sake.

All the rest of lubricants,such as T-case,transmmision & differentials are highly recommended to change on manufacturer's schedule.

The poly or plastic cladding that surrounds the VX's lower body shall be taking care of as often as you can,using UV protecting products to avoind fading,also the hood instert should be taking care off.

there's so much info about how to keep up-to-date your VX that's impossible to miss any topic you are interested off.

You can expect a lot of inputs from members around the US,even from australia,new zealand,russia & england.

Again,hope to see you become a member,believe me,once you test drove a VX you'll feel the bite that poisoned all of us & got addicted "

hope you dont mind that i jacked your quote gussie....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome aboard! ! ! ! ! !
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    "Nice to know you are interested in the mighty VX.

The isuzu vehicross is one of the must powerfull PUV (performance utility vehicule) its off roading capabilities are way over any jeep you may drove in the past & perfomance on the highway is outstanding.

The engine is a 3.5L DOHC with 215 horsepower & 230 at 3000 RPM.

The transmmission comes with a self-controlled PCM (power control module) called TOD (torque on demand) that's capable of "reading" the road's condition ahead thanks to it's 12 speed sensors located at all the wheels.

Capable of going 0-60 bit less then 8 seconds with engine in stock conditions,few VX's has been "supercharged"

The interior is all leather,the VX came in two tones colors, the red/black & black/grey depending on the year;The seats are recaro brand

Another great feature the VX came with is its supension,very tough & bumpie,but thanks to the four anti-heat gas shocks,same ones use in motorcross,the VX is capable of doing stuffs that other SUV's would stay away from.

The VX was limited produced,from 1999 to 2001 for the US market,about 4000 of them,so because of this limited amount the lack of avalaible parts are one of the common issues,much more on body parts,although the VX shares parts from SUV cousins rodeo & trooper regarding the 3.5L engine.

concerns:
    The 3.5L engine suffers oil burning issues,not on all of them,but is a very common issue,so the best solution for this is to keep a close eye on the oil pressure,most of us check the engine every time we filled up the tank,especially if you commute a lot of miles every week.It's highly recommended to use synthetic oil,the most common brand : MOBIL 1 another one is the AMSOIL,which ever you choose to use got to be synthetic for the VX's engine sake.

All the rest of lubricants,such as T-case,transmmision & differentials are highly recommended to change on manufacturer's schedule.

The poly or plastic cladding that surrounds the VX's lower body shall be taking care of as often as you can,using UV protecting products to avoind fading,also the hood instert should be taking care off.

there's so much info about how to keep up-to-date your VX that's impossible to miss any topic you are interested off.

You can expect a lot of inputs from members around the US,even from australia,new zealand,russia & england.

Again,hope to see you become a member,believe me,once you test drove a VX you'll feel the bite that poisoned all of us & got addicted "

hope you dont mind that i jacked your quote gussie....
    Not at all my friend
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by r-r-rx7 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Im Costas and trying to find a VX.. any things i should consider before i buy one?

Thanks
    Hey R-R-RX 7 !

I live in queens,where a you ?

There's a 2001 black ebony VX for sale in wyndmoor,PA with 75K for 10k.

The add can be found at cars.com

The guy's name is howard ( 215 233 3532 )

He claims the VX is in good conditions
    Dakar was just the begining.

Im in elmhurst Queens.

I saw a black one in ditmars a few days ago. i stayed there looking at it like a retard, the guy must have thought "whats wrong with this fella" lol hehehe

I saw the one in PA.. not saying its not a good car but i cant afford that much

Having a huge project almost ready (in the 800hp range) im unable to spend that much.

I have seen several VXs ranging from 5.5k and more .. thats my price range.. i dont mind if it needs some maintenance as i can take care of that myself as long as the chassis is not damaged(not willing to rebuild gearbox or engine either:P)

Quote Originally Posted by r-r-rx7 View Post
    Im in elmhurst Queens.

I saw a black one in ditmars a few days ago. i stayed there looking at it like a retard, the guy must have thought "whats wrong with this fella" lol hehehe

I saw the one in PA.. not saying its not a good car but i cant afford that much

Having a huge project almost ready (in the 800hp range) im unable to spend that much.

I have seen several VXs ranging from 5.5k and more .. thats my price range.. i dont mind if it needs some maintenance as i can take care of that myself as long as the chassis is not damaged(not willing to rebuild gearbox or engine either:P)
    judging by your name its the rx-7 is the powerhouse your building???

-Paul Arden

yeap, but not an rx7 u can get in the US... a special edition only available in japan

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    concerns:
    I suppose they all share some weak parts. what would those be? Piston rings?
    Any engine treatment STP doesnt help ?

im not really positive what exactly goes wrong...but when mine blew the mechanic told me that i broke a rod bearing or something like that...i know another member who just blew theirs blew the rod through the oil pan....
    i would love to see a pic of your rx.....i love those cars they are @(*#ing amazing...

-Paul Arden

New to the VX World - Need 1st time buyer info

Hello all,

I am Keith from Portland, OR. Looking for a VX and think I have found one. Hopefully going to fly to it and check it out, then drive it home if all is well.

I have been told the drivers window is having some trouble -- no biggy as the fixes are easy and cheap. And there is a broken plastic rear cladding (Isuzu dealer has one here for @ $400.00.)

When I am looking at it, what are the big things to look out for??

Thanks, Keith

DocZ

Greetings
    bought a Proton this weekend was damaged on driver front side pulled out the core and now working on getting parts this proton has 86K on it a supertrapp rear and some kind of funky muffler after the cats/Y pipe has a jammed CD and busted air box will need driver headlight bumper cover fender etc. will be looking for rack and other stuff along the way any suggestions on aftermarked aircleaner set up would be also appreciated.Preiuosly own many rigs had a 99 Grand vitara stick chipped rear ring gear decided to sell
    have had a bunch of Fiat 124 series cars other 4x4 is a f350 crew FX4 dually.
    DocZ

Hi All, Sam here...

I just purchased a silver 99 that should be here tomorrow. I haven't seen it, so I'm anxious. I live about 40 miles north of Memphis TN and work in Memphis. I don't believe I have ever seen a VX on the road here. If I have, it has been a long time and doesn't happen often. So I'm sure it will be a head turner.

I'm a little nervous about the engine issues people keep mentioning. The VX I purchased has 109K miles on it, and I'm hoping there are more miles to be had before I have to rebuild/replace.

I have been reading a lot of the lifting threads on this page, and will be adding the OME springs and cranking the torsion bars as soon as possible. Otherwise, not too many changes while I try to rebuild my checking account.

My daily driver is a 2003 Ford Escape FWD with about 128K miles and no problems. My brother is a Ford mechanic, and he might slap me for buying an Isuzu, or at least refuse to help me wrench on it. ha

Peace

Sam,

Welcome to the family. I lived in Memphis for a few years, and still have a lot of friends there. It's a great town and getting better all the time.

The threads on engine failure can be a little scary, but if you stay on top of your oil consumption you shouldn't have any problems. There are members on here with many more miles on their VX than yours has, and they haven't had any problems. Just make sure to check your oil EVERY time you fill the gas tank and she'll probably get another 100k miles.

I haven't seen any Tennessee VX owners on here, but a quick member search might reveal some. Most of us are pretty isolated in our VX ownership so enjoy the heads you'll turn and the questions you'll get asked.

See you around the site (and Moab in May if you can swing it)

Mark
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

...and so it begins, this addiction to all things VX!
    Is there a cure?

I hope not.

Greetings and salutations fellow addicts. I was smitten several years ago when I first spied a VX parked on the street. But it was not until recently that I had the opportunity to actually procure said object of desire. Three weeks ago I purchased a white 1999 IronMan and am enjoying getting to know the rig. I live in snow country up a steep drive that my VX negotiates with verve, and I am in love.

After lurking for the past 3 Weeks, I did my duty and made a contribution to this valuable site today. Thanks for sharing your collective knowledge. I'm not a true "gear head" but will use the site to do my best to keep my rig in top running order, per your postings etc.
    Peace...