Page 174 of 197 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2951

Thread: Introduce yourself here!

Hi! Bought my vx in may of 2014 right after getting home from graduating from basic training at Fort Benning. Found my gem at a tiny car dealership in my small town and jumped at the opportunity. It is a silver 1999. One of the more common colors for the year but it runs great with about only 11300 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbscott150 View Post
    Hi! Bought my vx in may of 2014 right after getting home from graduating from basic training at Fort Benning. Found my gem at a tiny car dealership in my small town and jumped at the opportunity. It is a silver 1999. One of the more common colors for the year but it runs great with about only 11300 miles.
    Is that a misprint, or does it actually have only 11 thousand miles?
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

ryanbscott150 ONLY 11,300 MILES?!!! HOLY #?*!

New member!

Howdy folks,

New owner of a 99 Astral VX! I got into Isuzu's about 6 years ago when I wanted an economical truck and found the '81 P'up. Then somehow I found an '82 Chevette with an Isuzu Diesel in it. I love those gutless engines, still running 34 years strong. But lately I wanted something with 4x4.... so I'm cruising craigslist, thinking of getting a first gen 4runner when I spot a VX listed....

No way. I thought these were just myth. Legend. Maybe I'm still dreaming and will wake in the morning to find it gone (knock on wood) or that the space time continuum fabric has ripped and a wormhole exists in it's place to who knows where. But for now there it is in my drive in all it's plastic and leather glory.

Not sure if I can upload a pic so I'll just link to it:
    http://i.imgur.com/UqPLn2r.jpg

Cheers,
    Tony
    '99 VehiCROSS + '81 Isuzu P'up Diesel 5-speed + '82 Chevette (Isuzu) Diesel 5-speed

Grats on the purchase Tony & welcome to the obsession.

The VX was my first Isuzu ... now we gots 3. So, I can relate to your ZU proclivities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Found one! But, is it worth it?

Hi there,
    Currently in a bit of a dilemma. A Proton VX has turned my head from full front driving forward, to completely neck craning reverse...... and now it is at the local dealership!

I love this car, it is amazing, and 1 of the first things on a used lot I would actually drive.

However! I currently own the worlds best Geo Tracker 4x4, and would have to get rid of it for the VX.

I have been reading up on tips for buying, however, can anyone offer a word on rust? Car is from Minnesota.

Anyone have a ballpark or past figures for buying a 2000 Vx Proton Yellow, with only 62000 miles?

Anyone in Az want to let me test drive haha?

**One of the best selling points is the huge following!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Is it the one with all the gauges inside?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Hi ex!
    I'm up the way near Prescott. I've been planning on coming down to PHX to check out this Proton myself. Not to buy, just to take pics and post here for anybody interested. I may come down Sunday. I'd be happy to meet up with you to check it out.
    (Yeah, I know it's weird that I'm a girl, AND I no longer have a VX, but I do know a ton of stuff about these trucks...as you've probably read...it's an obsession.....even after you sell it!!)

One thing I'd check out is how badly the dash and A-pillar are mutilated for the install of all those gauges. I'd use that to negotiate WAY down to get rid of all that stuff and replace dash and A-pillar. There's several folks here parting out a VX, and may well have both those parts, if not, it would be easy to get in a salvage yard witha VX. We know of a few around the country. First would check with JoFotoz (Jo), he may have them.

There's a few easy to check tell tale rust places:
    1) Front bumper reinforcement bar - can see it thru front fenders,it's tubular and sits immediately behind the front cladding. Many have had it rust off completely and disintegrate.
    This thread has good pics and details:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...+reinforcement

2) Inside the engine bay, check the various components for rust. We always look to see how rusty the front screws are that attach the front grill to the front radiator area. It's not a super definitive indicator, but we have seen some with zero rusted bolt heads.

3) Oddly, the rear license plate light assembly has often completely rusted out on rust-belt VXs.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Is it the one with all the gauges inside?
    Yes 100%, like four clocks and a compass.....

That all would be coming out...

Any advice on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Hi ex!
    I'm up the way near Prescott. I've been planning on coming down to PHX to check out this Proton myself. Not to buy, just to take pics and post here for anybody interested. I may come down Sunday. I'd be happy to meet up with you to check it out.
    (Yeah, I know it's weird that I'm a girl, AND I no longer have a VX, but I do know a ton of stuff about these trucks...as you've probably read...it's an obsession.....even after you sell it!!)

One thing I'd check out is how badly the dash and A-pillar are mutilated for the install of all those gauges. I'd use that to negotiate WAY down to get rid of all that stuff and replace dash and A-pillar. There's several folks here parting out a VX, and may well have both those parts, if not, it would be easy to get in a salvage yard witha VX. We know of a few around the country. First would check with JoFotoz (Jo), he may have them.

There's a few easy to check tell tale rust places:
    1) Front bumper reinforcement bar - can see it thru front fenders,it's tubular and sits immediately behind the front cladding. Many have had it rust off completely and disintegrate.
    This thread has good pics and details:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...+reinforcement

2) Inside the engine bay, check the various components for rust. We always look to see how rusty the front screws are that attach the front grill to the front radiator area. It's not a super definitive indicator, but we have seen some with zero rusted bolt heads.

3) Oddly, the rear license plate light assembly has often completely rusted out on rust-belt VXs.

Hi! Good to meet you! I would be more then down as I will be in the area tomorrow morning! Might even buy haha. The good news (or bad) is that they look like autozone stick-on gauges....which is good because the pillar is solid, and bad, because quite a few things in it are....odd, and look to be autozone "custom" accessories. The lift kit scares me, because if the Previous owner was willing to put $5 stick on junk in the car...... is the lift kit.....ok?

Also very odd - There is some severe Corrosion on the bolts in the trunk, and the drivers side seat bolts... underside looked OK, but...how do you get water in the trunk and seat?

The front also sports some cheap light add-on's that have wires visible going in the front, also terrifying.

Im generally good with cars, and would be more than happy to meet up tomorrow and check it out. I used to do similar things with Trackers/metros and C3 vettes for forum guys.

I am leaning heavily towards buying this vehicle, however, for the asking price, I would love for it to be vetted by a pro, as my first look through was a even split between buy and run.
    Last edited by Exarach : 04/11/2015 at 11:48 AM

let's switch over to email or PM so we don't pollute this thread any more. My email is in my profile. Prefer email...easier to do pics.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Future new owner here......

Hi Folks......I'm in the early stages of looking for a VX.....found this site during my research phase....I come from a vintage 4x4 collector backround and have been involved with early Dodge Power Wagons and currently with 1st gen Toyota 4x4 Trucks (79-83)....my latest fascination is the VX....saw one a couple of years ago at a stop light and it blew me away at the time....never forgot about it and has been in the back of my mind ever since....lately I started seriously thinking about looking for a clean low mile example (isn't everyone!..haha)....I believe, as many of you do I'm sure, nice examples are bound to be future collectibles...so here I am,on the hunt. Would like to find a 2000 or 01 Proton, preferably low mile, one or two owner, always garaged, rust free....in a nutshell the best example I can find so if anybody knows of one please let me know thru a PM.....Thanks!...Kevin

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Welcome Kevin and good luck in your search.
    Scott
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Hello all...Been snooping around here for a couple of months now, just got my first VX in December. Always thought the look was timeless; people ask if its new still lol. Still looking for parts no longer made by Isuzu but I think it is my favorite toy so far! Will be talking to you all soon thanks for the great forums.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Welcome to the obsession Jags!
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Hello fellow VXers

The first time I ever laid eyes on a VX was in 2000 I was coming home from a trip an it was sitting on a car lot. It was love at first sight. I immediately turned around to go look at it. At the time financially it wasn't going to happen so I waited. I finally bought my first one in 2006, it was Ebony black. I loved that VX but lost her the following year in a bitter divorce. -.-
    Again I had to wait patient. I started my search for my new VX about a year ago. I was not going to settle she had to be everything I wanted. Well, two days ago I bought her. I am a very proud owner of a 2001 Ironman with 111,000 miles on her. The feeling I get being behind the wheel indescribable. And now two days later I've become a member of this site to hang out with the rest of the people that understand my obession.