Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polished Fuel Cap

fuel cap

hi

oh yes you have to keep it polished otherwise id does go dull but as i cleen my car every week it aint a problem and its worth it

i thinkso

1999, Supercharged, Ebony, Vehicross, 0809
    Why not just apply a good clear coat finish to the cap after polishing it. No different then what they do to the polished 16" wheels on my '99. Seems after all that work to get it polished, you would want to minimize the upkeep.

VXtreme,
    I think that's what I'll have to do. I checked today at the Honda/Kawasaki dealer to look to motorcycle fuel caps...not the same size. I've called a bunch of chrome plating places and none of them seem able (or willing?) to chrome plate aluminum. I know absolutely nothing about this area, so I don't know if they're right or not. One guy told me there was a process called "brite dip anodizing" which would leave a shiny chrome like finish to the aluminum... but no one around here seems to do this? Any club members who are knowledgable in the area????? Rob

FUEL CAP

HI

AS I LIVE IN THE UK WERE THEY LOVE TO PUT SALT ON THE ROADS WHEN ICE APPEARS?

WHICH MESSES UP WHEELS THAT HAVE ALLOY THATS BEEN LAQUERED

SO I DECIDED I WOULD JUST KEEP ON TOP BY POLISHING IT EVERY WEEK

Mmmmm, shinny...D’oh!

I did the same type of polishing job on the valve cover of 1971 Datsun truck that my dad and I cherryed out.
    Also on the the valve cover of a '73 Toyota Celica. It was kind of shiny but when I got done with it... Well it was better.
    Aluminum is easy to shine and buff. I really dont like if its painted, and I cant understand why anyone would paint over it.
    Me like shinny things!
    So If I get the chance I strip and buff it. Sometimes, even if it’s not my car.
    Ok, If its anodized thats cool also.
    But, NO PAINT!
    Anyway, after a month trip up the coast to Seattle and back through Idaho, Oregon, and Nevada, it was tarnished to the max. Along with all the other exposed aluminum. Some of the aluminum trim was even pitted from the salt air.
    So if you live on the coast, or where they use salt on the roads, or in an area of high air pollution, heck yea, your wasting your time buffing your fuel door. It wont last a week without clear coat, or possibly buffing it every time you put gas in.
    I live in Tucson Arizona. I buffed it back on 05/16/03 and I can sill see myself in it with no special attention.
    Before I decided to buff it I had considered making a repeating swirly pattern on it with a small cupped wire brush ( Like the nose of “The Sprit Of ST. Louis” ) but I figured I would try shinny first.
    Mmmmm, shinny...D’oh!
    I was also thinking it would look cool if I etched in a few extra letters so instead of saying “LOCK” it would say “LOCKHEED” But frankly I lost interest in sutch a tiny and esoteric mod. Also if I messed it up I would have to buy a new one, or possibly mill it totally flat in that area and then inlay a piece of clear acrylic plastic that had a NASA or Isuzu logo under it.
    But if all you guys start buffing yours I’ll have to do something to make it different!

PS.
    On second thought dont buff it every time you put gas in. With our fuel consunption there wont be anything left of the thing after a year.
    PPS.
    I know that date for a fact, because I etched my name and the date on the inside of the cover when I finished with a Dremel tool.
    Why? Because I’m insane, also so I could show people it wasn’t manufactured that way.

Lightbulb

Yes, you can indeed chrome plate aluminum. Just ask any Harley owner! One of my Kawasaki buddies chromed all the covers on his Z-1 engine, which are aluminum. Think I'll keep mine original!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

If you think its Chromium but its not...

Actually, you can Chrome plate anything that is electrically conductive. Including a layer of special primer that has tiny tiny nickel particles in it. The primer conducts the juice:
    ZAP!
    Chromed...Anything.
    Plastic, Rubber, Wood, Plaster, Ceramic, Carbon Fiber, Casio digital watches, Dog poop. Anything you can spray the primer on thick enough.
    Ok, maybe not Dog poop. But Plastic dog poop for sure.
    And yes, its really real chromium not aluminum that has been vaporized on.
    The thing is: Chrome IS very very hard but isnt very flexable no matter how thin it is. So it tends to flake off things that are flexable. Like, when you bend your dads car bumper the chrome plating will peel off where its kinked, and cut your finger open when you run your finger by it, not healing for a week to ten days.
    Also due to environmental concerns there are less and less places to get things plated with Chrome.

But there are alternatives to the “Old School” That are they say are ”as durable as OEM Automotive Finishes”

See:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/chromefx/chromefx.htm
    http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...a_prodinfo.htm
    http://www.alsacorp.com/products/she...sheetingfx.htm

and finally for indoor use:

http://www.chrometechusa.com/autoplate.html

I’m particularly interested in the flexable sheeting they made the bikini from.
    Heh, heh.

Now, don’t bother me anymore. I have to finish my cup holding console/shifter console/dash with 7” widescreen display. I told you all I was “just about finished with mine”. “Just about” means that there are car guts all over, all the switches and buttons are hanging out holes in the dash by the wires. The inside of my house smells like a boat factory. My dog is mad at me because I haven’t taken her for a ride in weeks and refuses to speak with me until I do. Now I have to be done for the “Arizona VX Spring Show and Shine” On the 17th or I’ll look like a putz! I haven’t shown a car in like...eighteen years and its stressing me out. I want a T shirt and Goody bag dammit! Plus the voices in my head keep telling me they’ll make me do “Terrible things” to the neighbor who’s wall my girlfriend drove my Montero through a while back if my work isn’t a masterpiece.
    SpaceTruck'n has "left the building"
    Last edited by SpaceTruck'n : 03/26/2004 at 08:26 PM

Originally posted by RobVX
    I thought that maintenance would be a pain. Great idea about sportbike fuel caps...I'm gonna check it out and see if any will fit.
    I also saw an Audi TT with a similar chrome aircraft-style fuel cap that looked to be the same size and might fit.
    You guys are all crazy! You go out an spend big bucks for the freakiest truck made with the coolest gas cap on the road and you want to change it for something else?!?!? I think that's the last thing than needs modding! And in the picture posted above I think polishing it makes it look all plasticy and wavy and fake compared to the precision machined titanium look that it comes with. imho
    Canadian VXer!

cap

hi

everybody to there own i suppose

but in standard form they look dull, bland, borring

so little mod goes along way

oh yes